Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Tolls

How do you handle paying tolls from a class A RV?

We'll be travelling from Michigan to upstate New York in couple of months and toll roads are inevitable. My drivers window has a screen, I would have to exit the vehicle to pay a toll.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine slides, doesn't yours? To make it a little easier I put a handle on it.

Don G.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have an EZPass which covers most of the eastern states, plus a Florida e-Pass and one that covers all toll roads in TX. We've also gone through a couple of toll roads that mail you a bill. For the Tacoma Narrows Bridge the extra charge was only $1 for that service. For some roads the bills were never received!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We have an EZPass which covers most of the eastern states, plus a Florida e-Pass and one that covers all toll roads in TX. We've also gone through a couple of toll roads that mail you a bill. For the Tacoma Narrows Bridge the extra charge was only $1 for that service. For some roads the bills were never received!
We also have an EZPass and a Florida Sunpass. Last year we drove toll roads around Denver both in the MH and separately in the toad and I have yet to receive a bill. The screens on the driver and passenger side windows were the first thing on our new MH to go into a storage bay. Don't have them on the car, why do we need them on the coach?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We always route around tolls. Well, we do after one time driving the truck with a bike on a trailer and one toll plaza charging for the truck and trailer and the very next toll plaza charging for the truck, trailer and the bike on the trailer. Since we normally travel with the RV and a trailer with a truck and bike on it we really do not want the massive bill that might be given from some random toll plaza.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Our Gulf Stream windows have sliding screens. Open the window, then slide the screen. I've never heard of being charged for a vehicle on a trailer, just the # of axles on the road. Sounds like someone making extra revenue. The cost of trying to go around some of these tollroads would be more than the tolls when you add up time, extra miles and wear starting and stopping.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remove the screens while traveling so the DW and I can enjoy the view better..... it also helps when you come up to a toll booth.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #8

My window is terribly poor, it's a low lying slot that I'd need a 6' long rubber arm to pay a toll. Fortunately we don't have many in the west... but even for national parks, etc., I often end up having my wife jump out and run around the front to take care of it. I suppose she could also hang out the side window of the coach behind me (by sliding the screen out of the way) but it's not an issue we face often (so I hadn't thought of that until now).

Steve
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

I dont pay tolls except for the unavoidable, bridges and such. Freeways/tollways became very boring. There is so little to see (zzzzz) compared to lesser used byways. I have time!
The PA TP is about 20 cents a mile with my 25,500 total gross.
Nuff said

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

I got on the internet and purchased an EZPass from Delaware. It handles IL, IN, OH, NY and a whole host of other state's toll roads, mostly in the northeast but also covers WV. Unfortunately, the states haven't learned to play well together and it doesn't work in FL so I bought a Sunpass. If I remember correctly, Delaware was the cheapest place to get the EZPass.

Toll roads count axles for billing purposes so if you tow a car you don't need a second transponder.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #11

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I just went out to the coach...the screen does slide! Doh! I'll hope for tall ticket takers in NY.

I would avoid the super slab and tolls but I have limited time. July 24th is my last day at work (I'm officially retired August 1st) so we'll hit the road on the 25th and have a family commitment to be in Lake Placid the next night. This means two long days to get there.

The nice thing is this, once we're there we aren't coming back. We'll be full timing and have all the time we need to discover the back highways across this country. The next stop will be in South Dakota to establish domicile and set up our trust/wills.

Retiring at 56 years old and looking forward to life on the road!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I just went out to the coach...the screen does slide! Doh! I'll hope for tall ticket takers in NY.

I would avoid the super slab and tolls but I have limited time. July 24th is my last day at work (I'm officially retired August 1st) so we'll hit the road on the 25th and have a family commitment to be in Lake Placid the next night. This means two long days to get there.

The nice thing is this, once we're there we aren't coming back. We'll be full timing and have all the time we need to discover the back highways across this country. The next stop will be in South Dakota to establish domicile and set up our trust/wills.

Retiring at 56 years old and looking forward to life on the road!
Mike, you going to have those eyes checked before you leave? SNAKE!!! Welcome to retirement.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm lucky. My Itasca Suncruiser has an electric driver's side window!

I don't like to pay tolls but from many of my mileage calculations I find that I can often recoup much of the toll costs through a shorter distance and better mileage by taking the toll road route.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #14

Everybody should be aware that the automatic ticket machines in most of the northwest dispense tickets based on the height of your vehicle, not the weight. So if you are sitting high in the drivers seat you may be getting overcharged. By subscribing to E Z Pass specifically for an RV you might realize a substantial reduction from just paying a toll based on the ticket dispensed by the machine upon entrance. The machine detects if you are towing a car but be sure to remove your E Z Pass from that vehicle or wrap it with tinfoil or mylar.
The PA Turnpike will issue a refund if you mail a copy of your registration and the toll receipt.