Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I deal with taxes all the time and I look on toll roads as the most fair tax of all. You use it, you pay for it. You don't want to pay for it, then don't use it. I don't like paying tolls either but tolls are just another form of taxes and it is a use tax. Now you see a lot of states with toll roads so it's not just the Northeast.
Using Florida as an example, I don't think it's fair that a two axle MH towing one additional axle (boat trailer, utility trailer e.g.) pays double the cost of just the MH by itself. If you're towing twoo additional axles ( vehicle on tow dolly, boat trailer ?) you pay triple the cost of the MH by itself.

If you're towing anything/ anywhere, in pretty much any toll road, in any state, they really sock it to you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This post brings to mind that famous toll booth scene from Blazing Saddles:

Warning for the easily offended: Language
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The western gate of the PA. Turnpike is like that. Truck towing a RV trailer is triple the car rate. For many many years we would camp at exit 71. Used to be $10 to go those 70 miles, now it's close to $40...It's turning me off traveling the PA. turnpike. At what point are the tolls going to be $1 a mile?

When I cross New York State (West to East) I'll take I-86 and 88 to avoid the $100 toll.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Already visited several times on the motorcycle. Loved Lake George and surrounding area.

Just the number of tolls and high cost is my problem with NY. I don't mind paying reasonable tolls. I have easy pass and use it all the time.

I can drive across the entire state of Ohio and pay one toll. Seems to me that NY sticks more than one as you travel across.
I-90 is toll free through Buffalo because it is a major local commuter road. That breaks the toll there.

The real issue is that it's easy to miss all or most of the tolls with some smart routing. Us local folks are always happy to share how to do it if anyone asks. For openers the southern route is free as is Rt104 depending whether or not you want to do Niagara Falls.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #33
IC2

Welcome to the Great North East and the high cost of livin. Yes, you pay high tolls if you want to visit places like NYC or Boston but other then that, there are 'work arounds' for finding your way to Upstate NY and New England: I-81/I-84/I-88/ US20/ I-87 North of Albany/US9/US2 and so on. Yes, you do need to spend some time with mapping out your trip and yes it may take a few more hours but only you can make that decision
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Welcome to the Great North East and the high cost of livin. Yes, you pay high tolls if you want to visit places like NYC or Boston but other then that, there are 'work arounds' for finding your way to Upstate NY and New England: I-81/I-84/I-88/ US20/ I-87 North of Albany/US9/US2 and so on. Yes, you do need to spend some time with mapping out your trip and yes it may take a few more hours but only you can make that decision
The side benefit is that you get to see more of the places that you're trying to see instead of whizzing past them at 60-65mph. I get people not wanting to pay tolls but there's no reason not to visit a place just because tolls exist. That just seems silly to me.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I-90 is toll free through Buffalo because it is a major local commuter road. That breaks the toll there.

The real issue is that it's easy to miss all or most of the tolls with some smart routing. Us local folks are always happy to share how to do it if anyone asks. For openers the southern route is free as is Rt104 depending whether or not you want to do Niagara Falls.
Hi Nothermark,

We are going to be heading into Niagara Falls next weekend, coming from Pittsburgh then Erie, PA. We will be staying at Four Mile Creek State Park for a few days. What route should we take from Erie to Four Mile to avoid most/all tolls? Then from Four Mile to Niagara?

When we leave the Buffalo area, we are going east through Finger Lakes and the wine country to Cooperstown. Then on to Springfield MA.

Your advice is appreciated.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 08-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #36
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Hi Nothermark,

We are going to be heading into Niagara Falls next weekend, coming from Pittsburgh then Erie, PA. We will be staying at Four Mile Creek State Park for a few days. What route should we take from Erie to Four Mile to avoid most/all tolls? Then from Four Mile to Niagara?

When we leave the Buffalo area, we are going east through Finger Lakes and the wine country to Cooperstown. Then on to Springfield MA.

Regards.

Chuck
US20 - minimal traffic, to the wine country, then head South on whichever 'wine trail' you want from Canandaigua or Seneca Fall. Wgen done there, and that really takes a couple days, head back to US20 East to NY 28 or 80. From Cooperstown to Springfield, I woulf head South qa few milesto i-88 (mo tolls) North to again US20 at Duanesburg. From there, you have a few congested miles at Albany but a LOT better then the Thruway, I-90. US 20 goes directly into Springfield. This will not be a fast trip but scenicn- I've traveled US20 almost coast to coast, usually in sections and it can be a nice ride vs the monotony at 60-70 mph dodging semis
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We hit a toll both in Maryland and they charged me $54.00. I said that was outrageous. Well they counted my tag axle and called me a semi. We were travelling with another couple, who was ahead of us, and I told them on the radio what they charged me. I almost parked in the lane and disconnected my toad, so they couldn't charge me for 5 axles. Nine miles later, we hit a second toll. I was still livid from the first one. Our friends told the toll booth girl that I was going to be livid when I pulled up. As I pulled up, she smiled and said.....your friends told me about the other toll....make it $20.00, should have been another $40.00 or so.

I emailed the state and asked if they were purposely trying to discourage RV visits to their state. Never got a response, they must have been too busy counting their toll money.

I understand the charging of the commercial trucks, but to hit up an RVer with almost a tank of fuel worth of tolls in nine miles is just a crime. Next time I will block the lane and disconnect.
Not sure how that reasoning works. Why is OK for the truck to get screwed. Oh that's right, it's one of those damn trucks
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to our world....we live on eastern Long Island. No matter what we have to go over the George Washington Bridge...two ways with a toad...$67.50 plus the Throgs Neck at $20.00. This is every time we leave home unless we take a ferry across the Sound...$225.00 each way. You just grin and bear it. Who said RV ing was inexpensive????

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Check "Avoid tolls" in GPS settings... Review the route it gives you 1st before taking it.
Traveling from Pittsburgh area to the Boston area and without tolls the GPS wanted to take me around the great lakes. A difference of 2300 miles, just to avoid a $10 bridge toll. Is there a GPS with a "minimize tolls" setting?
Old 08-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Traveling from Pittsburgh area to the Boston area and without tolls the GPS wanted to take me around the great lakes. A difference of 2300 miles, just to avoid a $10 bridge toll. Is there a GPS with a "minimize tolls" setting?

That's just silly. Out of curiosity, what GPS was that so I can avoid it?

Google maps has an "avoid tolls" setting and I think it will route you on a toll road if there are no other options.

The straight distance with tolls is 573 miles:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pitt...42.3600825!3e0

Avoiding tolls is 638 miles:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pitt...25!2m1!2b1!3e0

If the gas for the 65 miles is cheaper than the tolls or is worth "sticking it to the man" and not paying a toll, you ould go that way and save 2235 miles off of what that GPS is telling you.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #41

Tolls in NYS

Recently the Grand Island bride went to cameras taking pictures of your license plate. Grand Island is on the way to Niagara Falls or south going to Buffalo,NY. Then you get a bill in the mail with a $3.00 for billing. I have the easy pass and save a "whole nickel with just our truck". Most times I don't go ver the Grand Island bridge. It still gets very congested with tourist traffic plus commuters. The toll workers were assigned to other toll areas.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Hi Nothermark,

Regards.

Chuck
Sorry, I missed the first post.

From the NY/PA line I'd probably pick up Rt 20 as the better road but 5 is more scenic along the lake. Take either one until the traffic gets annoying then do a short stretch on I-90. Probably Camp Rd in Hamburg would be my target entrance. Stay on I-90 to I-290 to US-62 if you want to skip the Grand Island toll then pick up I-190 through Niagara Falls to 104 N to the Scenic Parkway up to 4 mile creek. I don't think any of that is restricted access as far as what kind of vehicles. If it is then you can use 18 N to get to the same place. (The bad NY parkways for clearance are downstate.)

From 4 mile creek east I'd use 104 across the top of Rochester to wherever you want to drop south to the Finger Lakes. I'd probably drop down Rt 14 to Geneva. You will hit some congestion on the west side of Rochester then it changes to controlled access east of the river.

You will pass by Lockport which is worth a look as far as the canal locks and history go. I don't think I would try that in an RV with a towed as you are in town to see what's there. Good towed trip.

East from the Finger Lakes US 20 is a lot of up and down south of Syracuse but basically rural 2 lane in good shape the last I drove it a few years ago, Mostly I go through there on I-90 and pay them but I'm usually in a hurry through there.

Somebody else might have a better handle on Cooperstown east. I usually go through southern VT. Not the way you want to go for Springfield, MA. US-20 will take you there but I have not been over it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote