Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Tonneau cover used while towing 5th wheel

I just bought new F350 dually towing a 37' TT. Planning to upgrade to a toy hauler 5th wheel in the future. Would really like to put a tonneau hard cover on, for use for storing while not towing. I like the Extang Encore tri-fold, allows use of tool box or auxiliary fuel tank. My concern is clearance between the cover while folded and the 5th wheel while towing. Looked at the retractable covers, really nice but there's no way to have a bed tool box or aux fuel tank. Does anyone have an opinion or currently tow a 5th wheel with a tri-fold cover?

Thanks!
engineer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #2

I currently tow a fifth wheel with a tri-fold cover. I have no clearance issues with folded cover and the fifth wheel. The only problem I have ever had is not being able to see the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of my truck when hooking up. I solved that problem with a spotter. I have read that others have solved it with a backup camera.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
I currently tow a fifth wheel with a tri-fold cover. I have no clearance issues with folded cover and the fifth wheel. The only problem I have ever had is not being able to see the fifth wheel hitch in the bed of my truck when hooking up. I solved that problem with a spotter. I have read that others have solved it with a backup camera.
Save some money...if you've got a laptop or such, buy a cheapo webcam....a lot clearer, bigger picture
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a "Bak Flip" folding cover on my small truck. My nephew got a new full sized Dodge and also bought a "Bak Flip" for his new truck and fifth wheel. It folds all the back to either the fourth fold, or lean against the window. It easily clears his hitch, but I don't know about a tool box. It does sit about an inch down into the bedrail, so that it's flush with the top of the bed. Their aluminum model is the most expensive, but also the nicest looking, strongest and most durable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have a "Bak Flip" folding cover on my small truck. My nephew got a new full sized Dodge and also bought a "Bak Flip" for his new truck and fifth wheel. It folds all the back to either the fourth fold, or lean against the window. It easily clears his hitch, but I don't know about a tool box. It does sit about an inch down into the bedrail, so that it's flush with the top of the bed. Their aluminum model is the most expensive, but also the nicest looking, strongest and most durable.
I also have the Bak Flip G2 cover. With the four panels just fold it up to the last panel. No need to lean against the window. I do have a strap so it doesn't unfold while on highway. Clears the hitch and also have a aluminum toolbox under the front panel. Bonus I can stand on the cover to wash front cap off 5ver when we come home.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

Fold A Cover has four panels, and you can open it from either end. Works great for towing with a fifth wheel. Only downside, if you consider it a downside, is that it won't fold up against the back window.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Pretty expensive and I don't know anything about quality, but it looks pretty cool

Link
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing