Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Why pass up the perfect layout you like because it's a gasser? My friend got a DP with a layout they are not keen on because they couldn't find the floor plan they liked in a DP and they average about 300 miles per year just going to the same spot every time, just a few miles from home. A DP is great if you are going to do a lot of driving with big loads to make it worthwhile but if you are not then why close the door on gassers.
Excuse me, but in the OP's original post he stated "Will be moving about, not 'planning' one just two or three locations a year, .. but more traveling during certain seasons". The DP will ride MUCH better than the gasser, not just a little better. You will be able to carry MUCH more of your stuff with the DP. Again, IMO there is no comparison!

It's too bad your friend got a DP with a floor plan they really don't like for just small moves each year, but that is definitely not the modus operandi of most owners of DP coaches.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Why pass up the perfect layout you like because it's a gasser? My friend got a DP with a layout they are not keen on because they couldn't find the floor plan they liked in a DP and they average about 300 miles per year just going to the same spot every time, just a few miles from home. A DP is great if you are going to do a lot of driving with big loads to make it worthwhile but if you are not then why close the door on gassers.

not saying to pass up a gasser, especially if you layout is not right, just stating the obvious, diesel coaches are better for travelling there is no dispute and I have had both, if your friends are driving 300 miles a year they should have a 5th wheel and rent a truck twice a year, 300 miles a year is harmful for gas or diesel, for us 5000 miles a year is well worth the diesel, the pulling power of the diesel, the stability, the ride, the size, (you cant get a gasser at 42 feet), the options like aqua hot, air ride, diesel generator, 22.5 wheels and tires (yes available on some gassers) makes a huge difference, the resale tyhpically is much higher for diesels as well.

2001/2 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor 41 Tag Axle
370 ISL Allison MH3000, aqua hot, in motion sat
2008 United UXT 24' 10K car hauler
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #17
One of our irv2.com members, Kirk, full-timed in a gas engine MH, without slides, for 10+ years. I've never heard him unhappy with their choice of MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We own a 32' gasser and for us it was the perfect "starter" RV. We've travelled mostly without a toad and got by fine.Now that our kids are both in college we plan to do a lot more traveling and plan to go full time in the next few years.
Part of traveling for us was going to be attending events with our classic cars and my svt Raptor. Now with a gasser doing this would not be possible as even the lightest of our cars would be at or near the towing capacity of our coach. Because of this we will be upgrading to a diesel pusher in the future.
In the end it comes down to how you will use it, a gasser will be fine for most things you would use an RV for but if you plan to travel with toys it will really limit your options
1997 Fleetwood Southwind 32v, Ford F53 w/ 460 v8
Sthwindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might look for an 07+ V-10 Bounder 35E. Great floor plan lots of conveniences like the more expensive models, great engine HP and torque and it is a bath and a half!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_bounder_35e_floorplan.jpg.gif
Views:	36
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	77040   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	77041  

mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
I really have like every post 2000 Bounder I have seen. Some reason they strike me as a good value, but I do think the later models are somewhat pricey for what they are.
Thanks. Will always consider a Bounder if I do go gas.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #21

DH and I are planning our full time lives now, and have debated the gas vs. diesel issue repeatedly. We will be traveling some, but staying put at least a month at a time, at least that's the way we're thinking right now. In the winter we will probably stay for a few months since it's a bad time to travel in most areas.

We have found a few floor plans we like in gas coaches, but I think what has pushed us into the diesels is the added length we can get in a coach. Since we will be living in it, the extra space in a 43 foot coach makes a huge difference and allows us to contemplate a desk or some extra place to do computer work. The extra storage is also a plus. The ride, I'm sure, will be nicer as well but it's not the deal breaker for us.

We also want to go all electric. This is not really seen much on gas coaches without making the changes all by yourself, and DH is not a fix-it kind of guy. (Luckily he has other redeeming qualities...lol) So we are hoping, once our S&B sells and we liquidate, etc., we will have enough to buy the DP of our dreams, a Newmar Ventana 43 footer.

But, that being said, if a great floor plan on a gas model was just right for us, I'd be okay with that too. I think in our situation, the Comfort Drive feature on the Newmar diesels really pulls us in that direction too, since I will have to drive the coach, or at least know how to.

Good luck. It is not an easy decision. Floor plan comes first, IMO, and then evaluate the rest. Maybe give your other criteria weighted values and make a checklist as you look at coaches. Keep us updated on your choice!

Linda & Don
Planning our full time future
Desired launch: Fall 2015
ChiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Neighbor/Friend of mine has a beautiful 3 year old 37' Tiffin Allegro, and after his recent 2 month trip out west, he sold it to get a 40' Phaeton Diesel. He said it was agony going up AND down the Rockies in the gasser.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote