Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Too hung up on a DP?

I'm not sure if I'm being to hung up on the wanting of a diesel pusher over a gasser.
This will be a full timer for me, my home. Will be moving about, not 'planning' one just two or three locations a year, .. but more traveling during certain seasons and most likely somewhat stationary in he summer here in New England with family, .. living in the MH on their properties.

I feel I am cutting out a lot of choices by avoiding the gassers, and just don't know if that is justified. Looking at used, over 35', about $40K. Or is it worth waiting for the right DP to come around. Will be towing a small car on a small trailer I think.

GregV
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not totally a gas vs diesel thing. You have to consider the room and amenities the diesel unit has. The diesel can be longer, have more slides, more storage and include things not available in a gas unit.
However, if you accept the limitations of the gas unit and can live with them then that's what you do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, only you can answer your question. There are many things about a diesel to like but unless you're planning to do a good bit of travel, ignoring the gasser option might be too restrictive. In your price range, you'll have a lot more to choose from if you consider a gasser.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Which is more important to you? A diesel engine or floor plan and comfort?
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Or you can find a floor plan in a diesel that you like, that way you can have comfort as well as a good floor plan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Community Moderator

I say wait for the diesel. This great unit just sold for $30,000.
2001 Georgie Boy Diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1413674852.601904.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	76853
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

Thanks. I guess I should ask if a DP is that much more quieter and that much of a better ride that I would wish that I had not gone with gas. Maybe it's very little? I can deal with a little less comfort, but not so much that it rattles my nerves.
In answer to what's more important to me, .. it would be that I don't end up with something not dependable.

I know, this must come off as a little annoying. I just would like to have something in the next month or so and get down to visit family.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
not sure I understand, you get ride all kinds of floor plans and a diesel engine easily on diesels,

the choice is really options, stability, longevity, power, size, safety, towing capacity all available in diesel and not so much in most gassers
if ya can afford diesel its a no brainer, if you are on a budget, there are plenty if nice gassers out there for sale

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

The DW and I decided that our 30ft. Gasser with no slides was just too small for the family when camping on rainy days. So we went out searching for a 36 ft. Gasser with 1 slide. In the process of looking at gassers; we stumbled across our diesel and never regretted it. We did go over our budget of 20,000, by 10,000 but we were planning another upgrade five years from the upgrade we were searching for.
Ripnfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #10

Ask youself at what point do you start getting concerned about the number of miles you have on your gas engine automobile--and how do miles impact trade-in? If you dont have a lot of need for "creature comforts" on the road and you dont plan to put a lot of miles on your rig--then by all means, look for a gasser with the floor plan you like and go for it.
I drive a diesel and have for over 12 years but ask me what rig is best for more "stationary" living and I would tell you to get a 5th wheel. On average, diesels hold their value better and the extra carrying capacity allows for more options --eg, slides, storage, towing cap, more wood trim/less particle brd, floor tile, etc [its all about the weight].....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
not sure I understand, you get ride all kinds of floor plans and a diesel engine easily on diesels,

the choice is really options, stability, longevity, power, size, safety, towing capacity all available in diesel and not so much in most gassers
if ya can afford diesel its a no brainer, if you are on a budget, there are plenty if nice gassers out there for sale

Moxy
Why pass up the perfect layout you like because it's a gasser? My friend got a DP with a layout they are not keen on because they couldn't find the floor plan they liked in a DP and they average about 300 miles per year just going to the same spot every time, just a few miles from home. A DP is great if you are going to do a lot of driving with big loads to make it worthwhile but if you are not then why close the door on gassers.
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Its all about the floor plan and storage. Up to about 37' a gasser with the right floor plan and newer than an 08 is fine. Older than that and the V10 was alot weaker than current model. Also does not have the 5 speed trans.

I have owned both (05 Monaco Knight DP) and current gasser. My towing is less but MPG is same and uphill towing speed only slightly less. I like the floorplan so much better than the Monaco. Both are triple slides. Basement was bigger in DP but not dramatically. A full yearly service, well thats another story. An older DP may become a maintenance nightmare so be sure there are service records and see what is overdue for maint.

Be sure to have fun and keep us informed. :-)

Either way find the floor plan and decor you can live with.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We are going through the same decisions. Met a couple with a beautiful gas Tiffin, and in my eyes it was the perfect length, size, stylemand cost. The people were very nice, answering our "gas or diesel" questions. He said no issues, no regrets.

I can afford diesel, but it is high maintenance, and if I could'nt manage the cost I surely would get gas. In fact gas gives me more options in the size I want. We are going to go drive one soon. Like you though, I want all the comforts of air ride and brakes. So we have some decisions to make also. Good luck to you! Go drive a few, you may have an easier time at this!
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #14

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Well the diesel will definitely be more comfortable while on the move. You can't beat the ride the DP will give. The floor plans are more varied with the larger DP as well. The extra amenities will likely make the DP more comfortable while sitting in place as well.

IMO, there is no comparison!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote