Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

The answer to that question is very subjective. How’s your health? How active are you? Have you moved a lot during your life or pretty much lived in one area? How much room do you need to comfortably live (both physically and mentally)? Some people for various reasons are too old at 50, there are others out there still going strong into their 80’s. As for me, I’m 68 and have been full timing in my 1994 Class A RV since July 2013. This past hunting season I put in numerous 9 hour days tromping around the foothills of the Huachuca Mountains here in AZ chasing quail and I hope for many more similar hunting seasons to come. This spring and summer I’ll be off roaming this beautiful country of ours. It’s a nice life, not for everyone but it's nice for me.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #16

its not the Age, its the mileage... and you can not take it with you... sell, give, dump...

GET doing what you WANT to do.. no one is promised tomorrow.. and you 2 have seen many yesterdays...

We are 63ish... first time snow bird-ing... never camped for more than 2 weeks. well before this winter. 10 weeks now and counting. South Carolina beach.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
There is no such thing as too old, just too sick. If you are healthy, go for it, but have a plan to end it gracefully when the time comes.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #18

Heck no you are not too old. As long as you have your health and can handle the rig. I don't know why you waited so long. I am 42 and I'm outta here asap. About another 20 years to go. I'm counting down.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
There is no such thing as too old, just too sick. If you are healthy, go for it, but have a plan to end it gracefully when the time comes.
Ending it gracefully when the time comes. Definitely something to ponder....don't see it mentioned often
ancient11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient11 View Post
Ending it gracefully when the time comes. Definitely something to ponder....don't see it mentioned often
Lot's of great advise. Why not rent the house out for 1 year and give it a try see how well you like it.

best of luck

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You need to ask if the S&B owns you or you own the S&B. You never see a U-Haul following a hearse.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post

Then there are the few that end up on the 11 o'clock news that mow down kids and women at a craft fair or farmers market because they pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes.

Just imagine the damage a motorhome can cause, by accident. Then you will make the right decision.
I take this as a vote to stay in the rocking chair?
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #23

Most of the comments I've seen here give good insight. We are technically snowbirds, since we spend our winters in our condo in Florida, but most of the year we are on the road. I'm 72, DW just a little younger, but we are active and in good health. We are planning to keep it up for as long as it's still fun.

At 71, you should be getting Medicare, so that problem is handled. Silver Sneakers is the exercise part of Medicare. That allows us to go to a large (and growing) selection of fitness centers to do whatever you want for exercise. We like Anytime Fitness, since we can go in at any time. Look it up.

Just as others here have stressed, your own personal health is the biggest factor, and bluntly speaking, it's not likely to improve as you get older..............

Bottom line: do it now!

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #24

Too Old???

Being fulltime has kept me fitter and younger than ever. Every day I pinch myself just to make sure I'm not dreaming this dream we are living.
May the Journey be Your Destination
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #25

If not now, when?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #26

I am 71--wife is 66. We have been on the road full time for almost 5 years. We started as soon as I retired. I can not see sitting around waiting to die. When the grim reaper finds out where I am, I hope I left the day before. The last 5 years have been the best of 71.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #27

I really think you are doing it the right way now. Travel as often and for as long as you want like you are doing now. You still have the ability to be gone as long as you wish and can always hire someone to take care of the yards ect, if you want to stay out longer. It's not so much the age you are, but having a house to fall back on is important at any age. You never know what tomorrow will bring and once you sell your house that somewhat limits your options or at the very best will complicate them if problems arise.

There are a lot of people on this web site that will tell you to "go for it", "get rid of everything", "it's the dream life", "you can't take it with you" and on and on. I really don't know that is the best decision for anyone, let alone to give you that advice when they really don't know you and your financial status. I love being on the road exploring as much as anyone but I really like the peace of mind that if I need to be home, for whatever reason, I have a home to go to.

I'm sure you worked hard for your house and the ability to pay it off and have no debt. That being said I personally wouldn't get rid of your house just to full time, it's your "ace in the hole" when you really need to stop RV'ing or find you need the funds for other things.

You asked for advice, and this is only my opinion. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will counter my opinion with all the great things about full timing and, and the "you can't take it with you" attitude. But if you keep your house, in 10 or so years when you really can't or don't have the desire to full time, at least you won't have to go looking for a house, or become financially strapped trying to figure out where you are going to live. At least your house will appreciate in value and your options will be much better.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #28

My dad sold his trucking company a year ago they bought a motorhome and headed to Arizona for the winter. At a ripe old age of 82