Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #29

If you're in reasonably good health, there's no such thing as too old.

Go for it and Happy Trails!!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm also 71 and don't think you are too old at all. We continue to RV and spend all summer in our rig, but we also own a modest bungalow in Florida. My wife has an aggressive cancer and needs weekly chemo to survive, but we still live in our RV all summer long. I also have a 76 year buddy who just quit fulltiming. Not because he felt too old, but because his wife died two years ago and he was too often lonely traveling by himself.

I feel, though, that you need to have a well-prepared "exit strategy". You are at the age where your good health could turn sour in a heart beat (literally). When that time comes, next year or 10 years from now, you need to know, and be able to quickly execute, your plan to shift to a fixed residence somewhere. It might even still be in the RV, parked in some convenient location with good access to family and medical help. However, an RV is probably not the best choice if one of you is handicapped in some way. Plus, you need to consider the financial aspect of getting out of the RV and into a residence. For example, having a large 15-20 year loan for a nice coach is probably not a great position to be in.

I won't go into detail about options for leaving the fulltime RV lifestyle, but encourage you to both start your fulltime adventure now, while you still can, but also lay in a solid plan for leaving the RV lifestyle.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #31
As mentioned by many, lots of factors involved in making a decision - and that decision can only be made by the two of you, and needs to be unanimous!

A repeat to have an exist strategy as part of this transition. A second repeat if either of you are not 100% sure, take the transition in two steps. Go try things out for awhile, and then see if is is yes, maybe yes, or heck no!

We do what we cal Permanent Part Time Full Timing! We go out for several months at a time, then work our way back to what we now call our vacation home in San Diego. We get to check in on our MIL who lives in our vacation home. DW gets a gardening fix, something that she oddly enjoys - but then again, she oddly still likes me too. We get to catch up with our local family and friends. Usually time from November thru January to enjoy the holidays.

We're fortunate enough to be able retain our home, actually have to - as we wanted my wife's Mom to have a great safe place to live. (And we all enjoy each other while we're together. (Sure, the only being together for 2-3 months at a time, probably helps this!).

We keep thinking when the time comes, and sure not rushing this, we'll probably lease out our vacation home. We have been eyeing different locations in the country, for what we call a Northern and Southern Base to go with our coach. Buying a lot, or joining a Co-Op, adding a casita or park model, and having a place to have 'travel roots' in these two locations. In San Diego, also have a 2nd house, next door to what we now call the vacation home. It's corner lot and when I built it, I added an overside three car garage with RV Parking space next to, and above it is a nice 1100 sq ft 1BR granny flat with a great view to the ocean and lights of San Diego. The 3BR 2B 2car garage is really separated well, and has great long term tenants - bonus, we like each other too! So, we'd still have a home base to visit in San Diego.

Keeping our now vacation home and leasing it out, retains our lower property taxes, and then when we do decide to come off the road. We can go in and refresh the house as needed to make it good for the golden years, which we are hoping will be in our late 90's!

Yeah, who cares, why share what we're doing. Well, I read many, many threads on Full Timing across many forums. It was the great members that took the time to share 'How are we doing this thing called Full Timing?', allowed us to start listing down different options that sounded plausible for us. So, I'm playing forward - might help someone else come up with a solution that works for them too.

No right or wrong, and for sure, you can always make changes and tweaks in the future as you go along.

Do what feels right for you, and go enjoy yourself in whatever that is!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #32

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You've received very good advice already. I can't say it any better than Post #27:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I really think you are doing it the right way now. Travel as often and for as long as you want like you are doing now. You still have the ability to be gone as long as you wish and can always hire someone to take care of the yards ect, if you want to stay out longer. It's not so much the age you are, but having a house to fall back on is important at any age. You never know what tomorrow will bring and once you sell your house that somewhat limits your options or at the very best will complicate them if problems arise.

There are a lot of people on this web site that will tell you to "go for it", "get rid of everything", "it's the dream life", "you can't take it with you" and on and on. I really don't know that is the best decision for anyone, let alone to give you that advice when they really don't know you and your financial status. I love being on the road exploring as much as anyone but I really like the peace of mind that if I need to be home, for whatever reason, I have a home to go to.

I'm sure you worked hard for your house and the ability to pay it off and have no debt. That being said I personally wouldn't get rid of your house just to full time, it's your "ace in the hole" when you really need to stop RV'ing or find you need the funds for other things.

You asked for advice, and this is only my opinion. I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will counter my opinion with all the great things about full timing and, and the "you can't take it with you" attitude. But if you keep your house, in 10 or so years when you really can't or don't have the desire to full time, at least you won't have to go looking for a house, or become financially strapped trying to figure out where you are going to live. At least your house will appreciate in value and your options will be much better.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #33

An exit plan is good.
We will RV until we cannot, then rent something. That way we can still leave the bad neighbors behind, and quickly!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #34
We had no debt and the BIG house was paid for. We invested the money when we sold it all. That was our exit plan. Sixteen years later we again own our home and are debt-free. It was an smooth transition. It's very easy to find a new place to live, if necessary. Plus, do you really want to return to that big home and all its upkeep? We surely didn't. There's absolutely nothing wrong with selling it all and taking off. It is such a stress-free lifestyle when you let it all go. We didn't even move back to where we lived before. We found someplace new and it fits us perfectly. Our kids were all for our full-timing and the grandkids were disappointed that we stopped as they grew up with us taking them to grand places or with them meeting us somewhere during their vacation. They loved hearing our stories of places, people and things we've done.

Regarding the 'what ifs' of medical issues: First, it's simple to live in a RV with medical issues. Physical therapists will even come to your RV. The area is small making it easy to get around. You can be close to the best medical facilities in the country. We've been through many surgeries including joint replacements and also cancer while full-timing. It's no big deal. We even know folks on dialysis. It's doable.

Secondly, if you have medical issues while living in a S&B, the house would be too large to keep up so many move into smaller homes or assisted living homes. They don't stay in the big house.

Even if you don't go full-time, why keep that big house and all the stuff in it and laying around the acreage? Why put the burden on your children to dispose of it all? That's why many move into smaller housing and get rid of all that unnecessary stuff. It makes it a lot easier on the family.

I understand that some folks just can't leave their town, home or family. However, if you and your wife feel the same about this, you will thoroughly enjoy having no worries back home. At one time it was estimated that there were over a million full-timers so you won't be alone, for sure.

No, you're not too old. Enjoy your years. See this amazing country and take your time seeing it with no thoughts on having to get back to take care of the house. Go for it if that's what you both want to do....and if you do, join the Escapees RV Club and get involved with it. You'll make some wonderful lasting friendships. We certainly did!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #35
iRV2 No Limits Club
Planned for years to go full timing. I retired in 1999 at 51, but went back to work waiting for DW to retire. Ordered a 2000 DSDP to retire in, the DW wanted more room so we ordered the '02 DSDP. My parents got to needing more care and time, so I took care of that and eventually they died a month apart. Spent several years fielding calls from their creditors.
In Aug 2008 DW put in her retirement papers, then mid month her daughter died and we were parents again so she cancelled her retirement and I kept working.
Then the DW's health went bad and she was in and out of the hospital 15 times over a three year period. She went over a year with no more hospital visits so we traded the '02 Dutch Star in on the Magna. In late April 2015 we got a letter saying they were terminating her. On about June 7th they diagnosed her with inoperable liver cancer. Now on the national transplant waiting list so no traveling at all now.
SO, you never know what life will hit you with!! Get out there and enjoy it while you can no matter what your age.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm 66 with severe lung disease. I would love to think I'll still be doing this when I'm your age. I'm attached to a oxygen hose 2/7. I also have been averaging 2 trips a year to ER for every lung infection known to man.
In other words do it. If the urge is that strong to hit the road or stay out longer without going back to the SB to take care of things, you have 2 choices.
1. Sell everything. If you have to come off the road you can rent a nice apartment or Condo, in two weeks be in it completely furnished.
2. Sell it, buy a Condo, let them do everything. No need to come back anytime.
Did I say 2 choices????? One more
3. Keep it, hire a management company or landscape & maintenance people to take care of it.
No excuse to not hit the road.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 AM   #37
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
ARE YOU TOO OLD? You tell us! We can't tell you. Mind over matter: If you don't mind than it don't matter.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA, OSBI Certified instructor,
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #38
When I get 80 or so, I don't think I want a house. Would you? If not, downsize now and give it a try.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll just add this. If we end up selling the house after our 1-year trial fulltiming run, we will keep going until we either get tired of it or our health will no longer allow us to travel. At that time we will come back to our hometown, get an independent living apartment at a local Senior Retirement Facility, and enjoy whatever time the Lord gives us! That's our "exit plan"!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #40
Sounds good to me. I'd want to stash some hobby stuff with the kids or whatever. You will get more room in the apartment and have less to do than with the MH. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #41
When my parents retired, they bought a MH and went full timing. Us kids never knew where they were, and the crazy phonecalls from where ever were fun. They upgraded to a larger MH and kept going. After a couple years, they bought a small house in Las Vegas, and had an RV pad poured to park the MH. They lived there, but took trips when they felt like it.

Eventually, as health declined, they sold the MH. After a number of years, my father eventually got sick and passed on from that house. My mother continued to live there for a while, when my sister moved herself and small family to that house, and after a while, my mother moved to an assisted living apartment. That is where she passed from.

It was a good plan that worked for them. They seemed happy with their choices.
Karl I. Sagal KarlSagal@Gmail.com
Well done is better than well said. (Ben Franklin)
1988 Fleetwood Southwind, 34'
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One further note. When we reach the point that we no longer want to be on the road, we will come back to our home town and continue to live in the MH at one of the local RV parks until our health dictates otherwise, THEN will sell the MH and move into a senior living apartment!

That's our plan and we're sticking to it!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote