Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Too Old???

I'm 71, she's a few years behind me, so are we too old to look at full timing? We've been snow birds for 11 years but always need to get home to the S&B to take care of the yard as the weather warms up. Been considering over the last few years of selling the paid off S&B, putting the great things in storage and just hitting the road.

What would you do at our age??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go for it
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Are you still in good health, if so and it's what you want to do, why not.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Every year you're "considering" is one less year on the road enjoying traveling. Don't wait any longer.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give the heirlooms to the family and sell everything else.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

If you feel good and are in good health why not? Do set up an exit plan going in. At 71 we are closer to needing to get off the road for various reasons than the 50 somethings but most of us are also not ready to hang up the keys and rot in a rocker. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #7

Heck, DW and I are closing in on 58 this spring, and live among the septuagenarian (thanks spell check) crowd here at our winter vacation home in northern Arizona. We go back to WI for the summer and we're selling our summer place this spring. Plans are to go 1/2 and 1/2 between MH and cabin.

The people here are very active 70 something year olds, and I have a new respect for aging. Not as fearful as I once was, and we're a decade or so out, we are lucky enough to start earlier than some. However, our neighbors travel a lot, go cruising on the ocean, have Jeeps for forest service roads here, or ATV's. And, they like to party a lot~~! Priceless!
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe,

Ask yourself, in 10 years, how old will I be if I DON"T do it?????
The answer lies within..........

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

I'm the same age and wouldn't even consider it. I enjoy a weekend off somewhere but usually take one or two of my kids with us and a couple grandchildren too. One weekend my wife and I did go a weekend alone to watch car races on Friday night and another on Saturday night. Had a good time but missed the kids.
We go to a NASCAR race each summer and my son and daughter go along also with wife and husband and a grandchild or two. We have an absolute ball together. If I moved away I would want to come back once a week to see everyone.
Besides, I have to much "stuff" I wouldn't want to leave behind. My house, garage and storage barn along with everything in them. 200 acres of great deer and turkey hunting we manage for wildlife making trails, planting food plots and trees. I'd miss my old cars, atv's, snowmobiles, tractors and all the equipment to go with them. I'd miss the changing seasons. Especially the snow. My son and I race snowmobiles in the winter. We just finished building our newest sled which took three months nights to complete. We also like ice fishing the lakes and bays and salmon fishing a couple rivers.
I'll stay put and use my MH on occasion. I'd go crazy cooped up in a cracker box in no time at all.
I guess it all boils down to what each individual wants to do.
Be happy,
Lynn
Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Don't hesitate one minute longer than it takes to plan out your first adventure!! Life begins at 73!!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your eyesight is good, health is good, nd you can still comfortably drive and react quickly enough for those inevitable emergency stops, then go for it.

Many people stop operating automobiles when they can no longer pass the DMV vision test.

Others stop driving when they realize that their vehicles seem to be getting dented and dinged, and they don't quite know why.

Then there are the few that end up on the 11 o'clock news that mow down kids and women at a craft fair or farmers market because they pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes.

Just imagine the damage a motorhome can cause, by accident. Then you will make the right decision.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I'm 71, she's a few years behind me, so are we too old to look at full timing? We've been snow birds for 11 years but always need to get home to the S&B to take care of the yard as the weather warms up. Been considering over the last few years of selling the paid off S&B, putting the great things in storage and just hitting the road.

What would you do at our age??

Joe, if you're too old then I'm sure a lost cause! I'm 76 and Annette is 74, and we're trying to get ready to lease our house for a year and travel in the MH. At the end of that year if we're still liking it, we will come back, sell everything, and keep on trucking!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
77 in May and will be FT as soon as ranch sells. OK kids! Don't wait.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #14

Spending the last dollar on the last day is my idea.....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote