Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
It's no wonder you have no room for rope lights
I've got an 18' length in with the tools, maybe I shold take them out of the box and try them!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flaggship1 Great choice of Brew. Being a MG owner it is close to my heart.

My Netbook with all the pdf files on the accessories and operating systems, troubleshooting guides.
Silverleaf VMSpc.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all...

...for the comments and suggestions.

But now it's time to tell on yourselves...what was the one tool you didn't have when you really could have used it?

I'll start...second trip ever, went to set up the drain line. CG had a screw-in connection on the pipe. Several tries and the threads kept crossing due to a little dirt on my elbow threads (left over from the first ever trip...). I think I've got it this time, turn it a bit harder and...the whole top section of the CG drain line is turning too. Oops. OK, drain the tanks, flush the line and worry about it when I take it apart. Guess what doesn't come apart? Here I am with my sewer line elbow and the top 8 inches of the CG drain line, who are now deciding to be inseparable. Well, I sure don't have anything big enough to grab this pipe. I flag down a CG employee and show him the 2 pieces of pipe. He takes them back to the shop to see what they have...comes back and says they can't get them apart either. Well, I get to buy a new elbow fitting...and a strap wrench because if I have the wrench, I know the situation will NEVER occur again.

How about you...any fun 'experiences' to share?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave - a rubber drain doughnut is a good idea too. A tool of sorts I guess. I have carried one for years. Have to think on the other.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan
Flaggship1 Great choice of Brew. Being a MG owner it is close to my heart.

My Netbook with all the pdf files on the accessories and operating systems, troubleshooting guides.
Silverleaf VMSpc.
50 years of MGs results in one fine brew - hard to believe that was 1979. For such a young ale - it is a masterpiece. I have a friend that has three MGs - chrome bumper B - bug eye and a TD in a basket. When we get together a Hen is always close by.

If this were all there was to it I wouldn't be doing my job.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3500016537.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	42958

Nice to know there MG and Hen fans out there. Don't forget to carry your henweigh.
Steve
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of Murphy's laws is that if the job requires N tools, you will have N-1 on hand. That said, I carry assorted screwdrivers, wrenches, (including air powered impact wrenches) a 150 PSI huffer puffer (Air compressor) and assorted small tools (Pliars and hammers and such) Flashlights (Assorted including a long neck flexible type) and being an electronics hobbiest and certified technician an assortement of electronic tools as well, (A Multi-Meter and a Test Lamp (or two, one each voltage) are minimum devices for an RV by the way) and jacks (Assorted).. I travel tool heavy.

There is not much I don't have the tools for.. But, alas, there is still a few things where I come up N-1 as the law above states.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post

But now it's time to tell on yourselves...what was the one tool you didn't have when you really could have used it?
Not RV-related, but I once had a flat tire on a loaded pickup. This was before I got smart and bought roadside assistance...anyone can change a tire, right?

I had to half unload the bed to get at the spare only to discover that though I was fully equipped with all tire changing necessities the one thing I did NOT have was a wrench/socket that would fit the bolt holding the spare to the truck bed!

Note:
By the time I made this discovery I already had the truck jacked up and the flat off.

Naturally, I blamed my (not present) Husband for the oversight!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fuel filter and the special tool to remove it.

Credit card, sence of humor,adventure and tow service.

Don G.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #37

Along with your tools have a assortment of nuts and bolts, fuse, tape, wire ties, bailing wire, hose clamps.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
@ Flagship 1 - MG?

The 2 letters that fill me with anger and longing. 1960 MGA 1600 roadster. I have never enjoyed driving another car as much in my life (well, maybe the '69 Cougar with the 351...wait, I digress). I think every part on that car was in one of 3 states - about to break, just broke or repaired and ready to break again. I became adept at 'rapping smartly with my brass mallet in the general location of the fuel pump' (fractured British there) when it would quit without warning while I was driving. I was young and inexperienced then. Would I love to drive it again - yes. Would I love to own it again - no.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
....what is the one tool you weren't carrying that you really wished you had when you needed it? .....
Wire Strippers! On a short trip to a car show I realized I had no light on my car hauler. Some critter had chewed through most of the trailer harness. Had to buy strippers from a local parts store for the repair, after repair harness, I then had to throw them away because they were pure crap.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I'll start...second trip ever, went to set up the drain line. CG had a screw-in connection on the pipe. Several tries and the threads kept crossing due to a little dirt on my elbow threads (left over from the first ever trip...). I think I've got it this time, turn it a bit harder and...the whole top section of the CG drain line is turning too. Oops. OK, drain the tanks, flush the line and worry about it when I take it apart. Guess what doesn't come apart? Here I am with my sewer line elbow and the top 8 inches of the CG drain line, who are now deciding to be inseparable. Well, I sure don't have anything big enough to grab this pipe. I flag down a CG employee and show him the 2 pieces of pipe. He takes them back to the shop to see what they have...comes back and says they can't get them apart either. Well, I get to buy a new elbow fitting...and a strap wrench because if I have the wrench, I know the situation will NEVER occur again.

How about you...any fun 'experiences' to share?
I actually carry two strap wrenches. I've had two sections of rhino hose lock together, and also had a 45 degree elbow that wouldn't budge. Two strap wrenches working opposite each other works every time.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP Forgive the slight OT
dave and carol - I understand completely. My friend has taken many cross countries in his B. His boot had a box of "spares or bits". At least parts are readily available and small. Can practically get a fresh engine in there.

My down fall has been Jags. I poured more money into an '84 XJS HE V-12 than I care to remember. Still have a '94 VP and '97 XJ6. The VP is a favorite but parts for both are outrageous these days. They both will go when we go full time.

With some things it not so much not having the tool - it's having the part. I'm building my list and inventory of Cummins "spares" now. These days you can - as previous poster mentioned - buy a cheap version of a tool to get ya by or even rent a tool. But how many times have we read - having to wait for a part? Figuring out what to carry is a little more difficult than the MG dilemma but just as important - maybe even more so.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #42

This post has digressed to (What did you learn from British autos about tools) I think previous ownership helps with RV ownership. You develop an acceptance to ,what the h*ll is this thing, and why did they put it here where there's no way to get to it, and what kind of tool will help me get it out. Previous ownership of Austin Healy Sprite, A100, TR3, TR250, MGB, Jag MKII& MKIX.