Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #43

One third of the reason I now have a utility trailer behind my Class B van is for my tools. I cannot stand to part with them. I do too much work and maintenance on my motorhome myself to be without them. Also, I do the work on my scooter as well which was another one third of the reason for my trailer.

And heck, in this RV park I am in right now (in limbo, waiting to leave in Oct) I made some money with my plumbing tools, left over from redoing the fresh water lines with PEX in my own van. It's a lady I already know, she's in my brother's wife's family.

She has Poly B (1995 model travel trailer) and someone tore up the ends at the shower in the trailer she just bought so I cut off the pipe ends, got the Poly B to PEX adapters, a bit of PEX pipe and new end fittings. Now she has no leaks. I use the cinch clamp system and love it. Smaller, less expensive tool and easier to use in tight places such as in RVs.

So... no, I can't stand to be without my tools. I did have to part with my 3 ton floor jack which I didn't want to do, but it was really too big and havy to take and store. I will get a bottle jack for dire emergencies, much smaller and lighter, but I will have road side assistance as well which is very handy at times.

I do my own oil changes and I can fit under the van to drain the oil without even raising the van so I almost never need a jack, except for tire changing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #44

I know the golden rule is neither a borrower or lender be, but a friendly personality is a must-have if you get in a bind, and you will eventually. Just remember always:
1. return/replace/pay for anything you borrow
2. never borrow the same thing twice
3. karma will know if you don't help someone else in need, and she can be very cruel.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #45

tools

Just make sure you have cold beer in the fridge so you have something to do while sitting and waiting for assistance.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
Just make sure you have cold beer in the fridge so you have something to do while sitting and waiting for assistance.
I consider roadside assistance a last resort. That's why I will have so many tools with me. I will also be hauling a few extra gallons of gas as well (dump it in the van before every fill-up and refill the can with fresh) since my fuel gauge is somewhat spotty.

And I don't drink any alcohol. The odor makes me want to vomit.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey

I consider roadside assistance a last resort. That's why I will have so many tools with me. I will also be hauling a few extra gallons of gas as well (dump it in the van before every fill-up and refill the can with fresh) since my fuel gauge is somewhat spotty.

And I don't drink any alcohol. The odor makes me want to vomit.
I feel the same about gas. Love the smell of diesel in the morning and a cocktail in the afternoon.

Have ya looked into why the fuel gauge is spotty? The next stage is usually inoperative. Not a good condition. Just sayin.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #48

I'm not sure if it's still spotty or not, in fact it might be working good now. I haven't filled up the tank to see since I'm not driving it right now.

It WAS inoperable when I got the van because the brass float was off of it. It's in the tank floating around but it does no harm. I have a plastic fuel tank, no rust, so I didn't bother dropping it to clean or inspect. My fuel sending unit installs into the side of the tank so no need to drop it to get it out.

I rebuilt the fuel sending unit because it's such a rare part. It can only be bought new old stock. It was cheaper to buy the fuel sock, brass float, and make the rubberized cork gasket. Before installing it back in the tank, I did some testing and in the 'full' position it was only showing 3/4 full on the gauge.

About a month ago when moving out of a house and hauling away several trailer loads of stuff, I had close to half a tank of gas in it (what was in it plus what I added, based on guessing) and the gauge showed half way so it might be working right now. The fuel may have cleaned up the sending unit's wires that do the sensing.

Here's my blog post (with pics) about the sending unit refurbishment: http://cubey7800.blogspot.com/2012/1...llon-fuel.html

I'll still carry some extra fuel to be safe. I can dump a gallon in my scooter as needed from it too if the van doesn't need it.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cubey - I had a similar issue with my Airstream BVan back in the day before parts were rare. My issue was on the second tank and it freaked me out when it finally went from spotty to in-op when I switched over from the main tank and it showed empty. The generator ran off that second tank so it was important to have it working.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thread reminded me of another "tool" of sorts. Weather radio. My in dash has NOHA at push of a button but not always useful.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Another thread reminded me of another "tool" of sorts. Weather radio. My in dash has NOHA at push of a button but not always useful.
I have one that can run off of a universal DC adapter (came with an AC adapter) for emergencies. In-dash would be nice.. one less thing floating around not being used 99% of the time.