Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tool Question

As a new owner of an older RV, I assume I will be spending time fixing various things along the way. Since I can't drag my garage behind me, I am assembling a tool set to carry. I have read some of the other threads here for some good ideas of what I do or don't really need (and discovered several things I had not considered), but it raised a question: what is the one tool you weren't carrying that you really wished you had when you needed it? (I have found in the past it is less painful to learn from other's mistakes instead of my own...)
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #2

Be assured that no matter what you take you won't have the right tool to fix your problem. That's part of this RV Lifestyle ! Take a small complete tool box and head out and see how lucky you are !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

We never have enough tools for sure. Take lots of pictures of every compartment, especially electrical and of the exterior and store them on your phone or tablet. I have found that I need to know how something looked before I took it apart!
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #4

Some folks carry more tools than a Snap-On truck. The MH may lean.

My 50 lb kit has served me well for several decades, and I have even used about 10% of them. It is the same kit of standard stuff I had carried in my car trunk since the 60s.

Ditto on the taking pics.

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
daveandcarol,
I have carried an assortment for many years, starting out with a small camp shovel, a small hatchet, socket set, comination wrench set(at least to 1"), side cutters, assortment of screwdrivers, pliers, a couple pair of channel locks, vise grips, claw hammer, duct tape, electrical stuff( some wire, connectors, electrical tape. VOM). I usually carry a few automotive fuses and spare headlight, and tail light bulbs, maybe a clearance light bulb or 2. maybe a roll of that plumbing leak stop tape. Also a bottle jack to change a tire, along with the proper tools, if you have a class A, don't forget the long cheater bar to break lug nuts loose, I carried a 3/4" drive with a 4' cheater. oh and I carry one of those battery boosters, with built in air compressor.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Also a bottle jack to change a tire, along with the proper tools, if you have a class A, don't forget the long cheater bar to break lug nuts loose, I carried a 3/4" drive with a 4' cheater.
Frank
And a mounted spare tire and rim, and the physical strength to lift it! I prefer my alternative tool, a Coach Net membership!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just carry the, i think it's 88 piece, set from Sears. Have added some electrical tape, screwdrivers and various plyers. If that won't fix it I'm probably going to need a tech and he'll have the tools to do the job.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The tool I needed and didn't have was a really large filter wrench for the fuel filters. You won't find one big enough at Walmart or the neighborhood parts store. Those babies are hard to find. What a pain.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I know Thom's favorite tool is one that he uses quite a bit here in the MH and at work is his Swiss multi-tool. Yes it's like a leather man but as he put it the leather man pinches when using the pliers but the Swiss one doesn't so I payed extra to get it for him for Christmas one year. He's had it for over 15 years now I think and uses it a lot. When one part broke they went ahead and just replaced it with a new one at the store so he did not have to send it off first.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My previous RV, a Dutchmen TT and now my Damon Class A is FULL of Square Head or Robertson screws...so a Square head driver is a must have for me.
List of screw drives - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At first, I didn't even realize that the screws were not Phillips head, and often a Phillips will undo a Robertson. But if it is really tight, you will need the right screw driver.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

Pliers and a screwdriver, preferably made with Grey Goose or Belvedere vodka.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088
.... At first, I didn't even realize that the screws were not Phillips head, and often a Phillips will undo a Robertson. But if it is really tight, you will need the right screw driver.
Safe travels
Does this look like a good start?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1081744656.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	42815
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
what is the one tool you weren't carrying that you really wished you had when you needed it?
Tools forgotten/lost (or loaned and unreturned) and missed to the point of on-the-road replacement:

1. Air compressor for tires.
2. Needle nose pliers with wire cutter.
...2(b): WIRE!
3. Screwdriver.
4. Hammer.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I always believe..
If it moves and it shouldn't..Duct Tape!!
If it's suppose to move and it doesn't..WD-40!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote