Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Total Investment in RV Improvements and Accessories

I was looking at a new RV at a Rally and considered trading in for something newer. The salesman asked what I wanted for my RV in trade. I noticed and pointed out all the items and upgrades the new coach didn't have that mine did. That made me think about what I invested in suspension improvements, adding a quality camera system, solar system, exhaust system, replacing decals with paint, LED lighting, and more. So I told him $20K over market value and he told me to keep it.
I could not see myself making the same improvements on a brand new coach and not getting some of my money back on my old.
Later I sat down and made a list by category of improvements and accessories to my RV. Suspension, Solar, Electric/Electronics, Exhaust System, Roof, Engine, Exterior, and Interior. HOLY CRAP it totaled up to over $29K and it was well spent. I am sure my investment would be a lot less if I was a weekend warrior, But I am a full timer.

How about you? How much have you $pent on item$ that remain on and in your RV? I am not talking about new tires or awnings as that is just replacing something broken or worn out. And not talking about dishes, bedding and portable BBQs as that is transferable to a new coach.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doggy, I wished I had the extras to add on, I feel lucky just to stay up with general repairs and upkeep to my 2003 Itasca on workhorse with 8.1......seems like every time I take her out, something needs to be repaired or replaced. Gale
galeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Add ons are for our enjoyment, as a prospective buyer usually won't value them as much... You'd be lucky to get 20 cents on the dollar. Upkeep and maintenance items also don't add any value. My car isn't worth more than list because I've done 2 oil changes a year. If you're into trading often, keep it stock. If you're in it for the long run then might as well make it yours.

My list so far: low pressure lp port for the BBQ, better shower head, better shower curtain rod, hdmi to the TV (instead of rca), led lights, electric tongue jack, 100w solar, battery voltage monitor, lp fridge arp, hardwired surge protector, tire tpms, foldable outside grab bar, vent covers, and that's just what I can remember from the last 12 months!
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #4

Extra's might make your rig easier to sell but really add very little value at resell. The best way to get any money on your extra investment is if you can remove it from the unit and sell it separate.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

I don't think I want to know how much extra I've put into it.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've spent 7-8 thousand in upgrades and updates. Just about that much in maintenance and repairs. This is more than I would spend on my S&B but the view from the window is much better and warmer.
My upgrades an remodels were reupholstering, paint inside, flooring, TVs, satellite, installing shades, upgrading batteries and adding an inverter.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
When I trade Rv's I remove every thing I ever put on it regardless how trivial. They don't give a crap about what you out on them. When I traded for this thor I removed my extra battery, so,ar panels, inverter, thermostat, max air vents satellite dish spare tire I paid extra for low pressure propane outlet and many other things I can't remember. They will not allow you a single red cent over their imaginary trade in value.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

That's how I plan on keeping myself from wanting to trade, having to start over.

I'm thinking my next mod will be adding ventilated and massage to the front seats.

Automotive Heated Seats Kits, Ventilators, Cooling, Cushions, Blankets, Massagers & Accessories
Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my last and final coach second. The first one was a 1992 36 foot Airstream Landyacht and within a year I knew that I needed more inside and outside storage plus slide-outs so my dog and I didn't have to do the doe-si-doe down the center aisle.

I bought the 2002 Monaco Windsor PBT in 2003 after considerable research and financed it for 20 years knowing that I would be upside-down quickly.

I have customized it to make it mine exactly the way I want it with convenience items and have put thousands into it. I really don't want to know how much as the cost doesn't matter as much as the satisfaction and convenience all of it has made to improve my RV lifestyle.

I have NO interest in doing this over one more time. I love to look but no desire to buy because to get what I have now would cost me well over $500K.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm at $63K. That is over 10 years. Mostly it has been chassis and exterior enhancements. The interior will be up for enhancement in about 2 years.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unfortunately many RV owners are "gadget" people, constantly looking for ways to improve the unit. The purchase price is just the start, I'm amazed how it adds up.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I don't think I want to know how much extra I've put into it.
X2!
Attached Images

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #13

To the OP: what prompted you to think about trading up? There must have been something in the new unit you liked, or something in your present one that is missing.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
No plans to ever trade my MH I bought over 12 years 8 months ago. I have spent too much time getting it the way I want. All expenses on a spreadsheet.
Add ons spent 19K on them, 15K on coach repairs and replacements.
5K on chassis repairs & replacements 4K on chassis maintenance and tires less then 3K but that will go up in May when I replace my 10 year old G670's
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote