Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Total newb. What do we need.

Hello, I'm a total neeb, as in yesterday I bought a 2004 DP.
Unfortunately have to store it for 2 or 3 months due to medical problems. I live in Indiana so it will need to be winterized. Out of the blue today I thought I would need surge protection.

It got me thinking of the things I will need on the road.
From electrical items to diesel engine parts and whatever.
I know the list is endless and to carry everything I would have to haul a semi trailer behind the coach.

Also additives and things like WD-40. I realize most things can be bought on the road but I have to shop right as we are on s budget. The surge protection I bought today ran from $118 no tax no shipping. To about $168 + tax. Got it out of state. No tax. Amazon is great, but they charge my state tax. It was the same price but tax as well. So an additional $7.35.

Kitchen must haves would be helpful for the DW as well.

Thanks everyone this is an awesome community.
AnywhereEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! You really should have bought the EMS series AC protection device that protects you against everything! You would need to spend about $300-$350 for one of those! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #3

I just now Googled 'RV Checklist' and this and many others came up. These will help. Now you'll see why RVs need a good amount of carrying capacity! Good luck with the medical issues.

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...sts-printable/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Eric,

Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful hobby of RVing! Love owning a rig and going camping and traveling.

I own a gas unit so will leave that to others with superior knowledge to me.

What you will need:

White water hose (for fresh water)
water filter (Camco blue at Walmart)
sewer hose (plastic container to carry it in) (keep basements clean)
ladder (they have all sorts of them available to go in rigs)
Rug for bottom of steps to knock dirt off your shoes
Lawn chairs
Dry lube spray (jacks, stairs)
grill (that will fit into one of the basement spaces)
Couple buckets
Long handled car washer (telescoping handle)
Tire covers (RV tires are expensive and there are a lot of them. Prevent sun rot)
Folding step stool (have them about anywhere / can be used inside and outside)

By the way, how old are your tires? Tires on a rig often date out before the mile or wear out. 10 yr old tires are dangerous. Most 7 to 8 years you should replace. Please check yours.

When you get the time, install LED lights. This is not urgent, just will help in the future.

Dishes, pots and pans, silverware that you can leave inside the rig instead of taking them in and out. Sheets, pillows, blankets, towels, for the same reason. All this stuff can be done later.

Whatever cooking items you would use inside the house to cook with you will probably need inside the coach. The difference is that you will look at the size of the item and then decide if you really will use it or not. If not, don't take it.

Make a list of what you would like to take and what you NEED to take. Then write down where each item would be stored. Is there enough storage???? For each item??? If not, then thin the list down. If you've gone camping 2 or 3 times and not used something, you probably don't need it and can remove it from the coach.

Remember there will be food going in. People going in. All this needs to be taken into consideration when you are looking at the weights allowed for your rig. Get the rig weighed. It's pretty inexpensive. We paid $11.50 at a CAT scale near us.

Camp for the first time or two in your driveway or at a local CG (campground). That way if you need something you can go home and get it easily.

When at a CG for the first time if you run into an issue you have no idea what to do, go ask someone in a rig similar to yours. Just tell them you are new and could they please advise you. Usually they will help.

When you drain water out of the pipes when not using the rig for a month or so don't forget the water in the hot water heater. It can get to stinking pretty badly.

Electric / ceramic heater??? Can save on your propane if camping for long times or just take the cold off if temps are not too cold. Can take one from home and put back inside house when home.

One of the best things you can do for yourself over the next few months is to start reading threads here about anything but especially relating to your particular rig. Flushing your tanks, cleaning your water heater or refrigerator coils. Sealing your roof seams. YouTube has videos on almost anything RV. Watch them.

If you have NOT filled out the info on your rig yet under your info, you need to do that. It helps people to help you. Knowing your chassis, engine type, tire size, type of rig, length, it all helps to better advise you.

Mostly, enjoy your rig. Ask questions, the people here are amazing at helping others. Best of luck to you and hope your medical problems resolve quickly.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #5

A year ago I was a total Newb at driving a class A
Old 10-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

A year ago I was a total Newb at driving a class A. I invested in an RV GPS and a TPMS tire pressure monitoring system to give me peace of mind.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Unfortunately, there isnt much you can do with a rv on a small budget, especially a diesel pusher. It helps to be thrifty where possible, but there isnt much cheap about owning a rv. They cost money even if you dont drive them, and cost lots more if you do. One thing for sure you will need is a good bank account, or a credit card with a healthy limit in case something breaks on the road. A blown tire can cost 500 to 800 depending on where you are. A blown fuel pump can cost thousands, and heaven forbid a tranny or something major goes. Its just part of the fun. We have blown tires, transmissions, alternators, fuel pumps, broken windshield, and even had part of my roof blown off in gale force winds in Newfoundland. This is over the course of four motorhomes, and ten years. On the smaller side, we have had house relays blow, and lost all our 12 volt system, screen doors break, levelers stick, and on and on. With rvs, you either pay big cash up front, and have a warranty, or save money on the rv, but add money on a regular basis. I totally enjoy rving, but fixing them is just a regular part of rv life. Best of luck, and happy camping with your new rv. Cheers
Old 10-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

As far as kitchen items go, have your wife think about what the two of you now use in your kitchen. When I first outfitted our kitchen I realized in my stick and bricks home I mostly used the same 2 skillets, 1 big pot and 1 smaller saucepan. For the RV I bought Corelle dishes because they are more chip and break resistant. I also brought soup bowls. I brought a few Tupperware type storage containers but I really don't use them. I use baggies, gallon, qt, and sandwich more for storage. Have her think about which utensils she uses on a regular basis and buy those for the unit. And coffee or tea cups. I got a nice set of forks, knives and spoons as well. Also bakeware. Microwave safe dishes. I also have a small crock pot that is just the right size for us two. A coffee maker, toaster and a small 2 cup blender for our breakfast shakes. We full time so all of these are necessities for us. After you take your RV out a couple of times you'll be better able to decide what you need. Kitchen towels, dish soap and scrubbies. Paper towels. We also keep paper plates and plastic cups in stock. We got a nice portable Weber gas grill so we have grill utensils as well.

Other things to think of are: we bought a small light weight computer printer we carry with us. We winter down in Florida so we also have 2 very small dehumidifiers by Eva Dry, each one has a 2 cup capacity. We carry 2 sets of bed sheets with us. Even though our unit was brand new we bought a new mattress for it. You'll need bathroom hand towels and bath towels. Don't forget your toiletries. Also a good idea to carry with you a well stocked first aid kit.

We actually spend just a bit more on groceries than we did in our sticks and bricks house. I now can't buy a lot when things we use are on sale because we just don't have much storage space.

I hope this helps a little. Have a great time with your new to you RV. And hope your medical issues are resolved quickly.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Especially since you are on a budget don't buy anything until you need it. Camp in the driveway for a few days and see what things you will actually use. Everyone wastes a ton of money and space on things they think they need and actually never use. Watch some you tube videos on winterizing. It isn't expensive and it is fairly easy.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and congrats on the new coach. You have joined a good group of folks here with good info to share who have given you great ideas on what you "need"

RV lifestyle is not cheap and can be a challenge at times. The learning curve goes on for ever but only steep in the beginning.

Enjoy the adventure and good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #11

you will find lots of people tell you all kinds of stuff so that it keeps the parks and roads clear for them. if everyone would say nothing but good stuff then all the campgrounds would be full and R/V'S would cost more... I myself have never heard of or seen a broken down Alison tranny that had proper fluid in it.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Best advice we got. "Don't buy it until you need it" ofcourse hoses, surg protector, ect but there will be a ton of that's cool we may need one. Be careful of those.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #13

Welcome to the forum!

My number one must have is the ability to search. Issues are not always going to arise at opportune times, and then posting a question starting with "HELP! I HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND CAN"T DO ANYTHING" still may not result in a member with a logical or correct solution. Up in the top of the forum is a green search box. That will bring you all of the wealth of knowledge on the board about your questions. You will find that some topics have 13 thousand plus previous discussion threads. My solution for that is to scroll through and pick threads as the most recent.

Second is the manuals for every system in and on your coach. Take time to sit down and read through them and actually look at everything and flip switches. Then find every relay and control panel before you have an issue. It's much easier to do on a sunny afternoon rather than a rainy cold Friday evening with SWMBO fuming.

Third is patience.

Fourth is a good stinky slinky. What come in must go out.

From there, you will find the rest on the hundreds of lists available from many sources, but my first one on that list would be a Progressive EMS.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
you will find lots of people tell you all kinds of stuff so that it keeps the parks and roads clear for them. if everyone would say nothing but good stuff then all the campgrounds would be full and R/V'S would cost more... I myself have never heard of or seen a broken down Alison tranny that had proper fluid in it.
Im not trying to discourage anyone, but anyone traveling in a rv without a backup plan to handle a few thousand dollar repair is not being realistic. Break downs do occur, and will occur. We did have an Allison tranny go, and here is another thread where the guy had three go. Cheers
Lost 3rd Allison in 20k