Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #15

I agree to each their own
We have had TT's but never a 5th wheel
The Class A suits us fine - the little blue jeep follows along almost always unless there is a boat there instead
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #16

We have a 5th wheel right now and have never owned anything else. For now I need my truck for work so it made sense to us to go this route. So far so good but we have often wondered about going into a Class A. For those of you that own a Class A can you tell us anything about maintenance costs on them as this seems to be the question we always come back to. But really there is no right or wrong, it's what works best for you.
Cheers to many more campfires and warm starry nights.
Paul & Sheryl
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going from just the cost side, its a wash as far as I can see. New gasser moho 100K for a nicer one. 5er 50K nice one, truck 50K. For convenience the moho wins hands down. I dont even have to get out to set up camp for the night.....pull in, slides out, level-up, and ready in 20 minutes, dont even have to plug in. We've had both and they both have there strong points. There is no clear winner and I would be fine either way as long as I have my bike with me!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #18

As to moving about in a moving motor home, don't do it! I'm speaking from personal experience. We once had an old Allegro Class A MH. I was driving through Indianapolis when my wife got up to go to the restroom, just when she got up from her seat in the rear of the coach a man ran a stoplight as I entered the intersection. My wife was thrown from the rear of the coach and collided with the dash when I broadsided the car. Broke both wrists, some ribs, and was severely bruised from head to toe.
Lesson learned.
BTW, that was my first wife, not my current.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #19

post deleted
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
JSW

I've had several. Started with a pop-up, had a TT awhile, and a class C. Enjoyed each one but a few years back we got a new 5er and a new F250, we used that set-up for 6 years but it became too much work for us gettin' old folks. For almost 3 years now we have been in a diesel pusher and we are really happy. It's too comfortable and too convenient to ever go back. As far as upkeep and repair I don't think there is that much difference between the DP and the 5er. I think the actual fuel cost may be less for the DP and toad because we do most of our driving in a 29 mpg car, which is much cheaper than a F250. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had a tent, a small travel trailer, a small gas class A, and my current DP. Think I'll stick with what I have now.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Our take on it right now is that the truck & 5th wheel works out better for us while I'm still working. We can use the truck for other purposes and then hitch it up to the 5th wheel when we do have the opportunity to go RVing. Frankly, I couldn't justify watching a DP sitting in the storage lot depreciating until I retire - I'll take that money and let it work for me until we decide that a DP can get enough use to justify it.

There are some advantages to the truck & 5th wheel setup, however:

1. The 5th wheel is much less complex than a DP since it doesn't have a drivetrain and associated auxiliary systems. Because of this, it's only been back to the dealer twice since we bought it in 2004 (a broken gear in a slideout drive and a Dometic refrigerator cooling unit changeout, both under warranty) and has never been back to the manufacturer in Howe, IN. The rest of the maintenance I've taken care of myself.

2. Let's say we're on a trip and have a drivetrain problem (we never have, by the way). The 5th wheel can be taken to a campground while a dealer repairs the truck, so we still have our "house" for us and the Shelties. With a MH, the house goes into the shop along with the chassis, and shops who can/will do drivetrain work on a MH are fewer and farther between than Ford, GM or Dodge pickup dealers.

3. We can (and have - see signature) upgrade the drivetrain without the cost of a new "house" as would be the case with a MH.

4. We get 9.5 to 10.5 MPG at 65 MPH when pulling the RV - not many MHs with the living space of our 5th wheel do that well.

The MH folks have already done a good job of pointing out the advantages of their rigs, so I'll leave it at that.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there's no absolute right or wrong choice. It all depends on one's priorities, how they will use the RV and how much usage they can give it. What's right for us may not be right for you, and as I mentioned above, what's right for us may change as our life situation changes.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
A very interesting thread. We have just been through the whole process of deciding between the various setups here in New Zealand. We originally looked at a class C, but we intend to full time in it in a couple of years and there just wasn't enough room, plus the bed over the cab wouldn't have been viable in the future. Then we looked at caravans, but quickly realised that a 5er gave us much more room for the towing length. Never thought we could buy a class A, they looked too expensive. Then we looked at the options closer.

A 5er needed a BIG tower (for NZ conditions) and to get a Dodge Ram or its equivalent over here is around $70k. Add the fifth wheel ($100k), and the cost is the same as a class A. We have opted for the Class A with a toad, so that we are not always driving a monster truck - petrol here is now $2 a LITRE (that is over $9 a gallon!) so the toad is going to be much cheaper for short trips. I like the space of the Class A, tho I cant see SWMBO making me a snack while we are driving - not enough long straights in NZ! My problem is we do not yet have the toad set up, so when SWMBO suggests an overnighter in the MH, I have to point out that there is little point in travelling a long way at 9 mpg for just one night. The MH is like a motel on wheels, and as such really needs to be taken somewhere and become the base for travels in a smaller vehicle. Long weekends, or a week away are good, but the toad is a necessity here. I think we have made the right decision for us in NZ. BTW our NZ$ is about 75c US so the prices quoted are close. There is a real market for importing Class A's and 5er's from the US because the sale prices here are much higher. Apart from you guys driving on the wrong side of the road... That and the fact that our width limit is 2.5m on the road, and your newer Class A's are 2.54m. Not a lot of difference, but cutting a MH down the middle to remove 2inches of width makes the newer rigs hard to justify. And yes, our legislaters are that picky!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My first camping experience under a tent was only the beginning of my desire to enjoy the RVing lifestyle. As with many things in life, we become more accustomed to advances in technology and creature comforts and become less likely to revert back to our old tent. There is no wrong answer to where should you start or stop during your journey. Any decision that means this much to you and your family should be based on your wants and needs, not mine or any other RV salesperson/expert.

I am in the process of trying to find a small vintage TT that needs some TLC for the use of our grown children and grandchildren. It would a nice project for me in the garage and would allow us to keep the secret about the hidden bed in the middle of our living room.

My advice and experiences are free to all who ask while my opinion is only priceless to me.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Everyone here had a good point and I will give you mine. If you have the truck already and are still working then go for rthe 5th whhel setup. If you are not working then by all means go for the Class A motorhome. It is just very convienent such as when you stop at rest area for lunch and it is raining out you don't have to go outside because you have everything on board. If it is raining when you get to campground you just back in to site and hookup when it stops raining. If you have to go potty , just stop and go potty. As far as DW going while vehicle is in motion she usually does that while I am on highway away from traffic so I don't have to stop short.
Someone asked about maintaing a motorhome it is no different than maintaing a truck with oil changes, lube job, etc. The systems that require service are the same as a fifth wheel. THe only would be a generator as most fifth wheels don't come with one and if the do then they are usually in the truck with the same maintainence.
Like I said in the begining it is a matter of preference and we like our Class A for all the convienences that we have and don't have to go out in bad weather.
Enjoy and good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #26
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Maintenance costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanPaul View Post
those of you that own a Class A can you tell us anything about maintenance costs on them as this seems to be the question we always come back to. ......................
Paul & Sheryl
Our New Bay Star costs "nothing"???
Well we have Oil etc changed 2x a year
1x we go to Cummins for Generator service

I did not write down the costs, my thinking cap says about $250.

Our MH b4 that (88 Winnebago Chalet) was a money pit. Thousands of $$$$ a year, so it had to go, and it did.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went with a Motor Home because my wife said so. And we did have a pickup at the time.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Ford F350 crew cab dually truck and camper It got 7mpg.
Now I have a Itasca Meridian 34ft Diesel Pusher. It gets 8mpg. The used Motorhome was $25,000 more than the Truck and Camper.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote