Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
When we first started looking, we thought we would like a 5'er for all that room. When we went looking for a tow vehicle...YIKES! Some were pushing $60K. A nice MH, on average, was more than that. Time to get creative.

In January '10, we ended up buying our MH (e-bay special) for less than we would have paid for the truck alone by almost $10K-and it only had 17K miles on it. We swore we would not do that again...too nerve racking...we bought the Jeep the SAME way! This stuff is gonna kill me! It all worked out.

This past summer, we did a 'out West' trip of 5 months and 10K miles on the MH, 12K miles on the Jeep in side trips. In prep for the trip, we went through the motorhome (no maintenance records) and did a lot of normal maintenance just to get up to speed, that paid off as well. We broke a rear holding tank cable and the ice maker water line developed a pin hole in it. Not bad for a 5 year old (at the time) gas'r.

With the exception of replacing the shocks and adding a rear stabilizer bar the Rambler has proven to be a reliable unit. This year I'm planning on replacing all cooling hoses, belts and switching to Transynd in the Allison tranny(it's now 6 years old w/28K miles on it). If our parents (and ourselves) stay healthy, this planned Alaska trip will tell the tell...fingers crossed.

There ya have it...our rationale for going with our arrangement. YMMV. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #30

We bought our '88 KIT 5er new, over 150K miles on it so far - 3 different tow vehicles, a '76 Chevy 34 ton, '91 Dodge/Cummins, and the current '02 Dodge/Cummins.

The Dodge Cummins can't be beat for power, economy and reliability - at least ours has been! We get a best of 17+ MPG towing the 5er, and 27 MPG driving empty. A far cry from the 7+ MPG we typically get with the GM-based gasser 454 '88 Winnie. Both setups weigh nearly the same, and also pretty close in living space - the MH has a slight edge, and is quite a bit higher in the luxury department.

Put another way, on a round-trip tour from Oregon to Florida and back, we'd SAVE enough on fuel with the truck/5er combo, to PAY for a week long stay at Disney World Fort Wilderness!

For local camping/fishing trips towing the boat, the MH wins - and that's what it was bought for - but that 2 1/2 times better MPG with the truck/5er wins hands down on longer hauls - and we've never suffered from "cabin fever" even when we wintered in Florida in the 5er - and yeah, using the truck doing the tourist thing was pretty nice as well!

NOW, if I wanted the best setup to fit OUR needs, both knocking around relatively locally up and down the west coast - OR longer term and distance, I'd most likely go with an upscale 5er right at the 30 foot length - something that combines the added room of the MH with the luxury the Winnie displays over the KIT 5er - the best of both worlds, where updating the motorized part doesn't include with it the requirement to also pay to update the living space as well - and eliminates the MH's need for another vehicle to sight-see with.

YMMV!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Our New Bay Star costs "nothing"???
Well we have Oil etc changed 2x a year
1x we go to Cummins for Generator service

I did not write down the costs, my thinking cap says about $250.

Our MH b4 that (88 Winnebago Chalet) was a money pit. Thousands of $$$$ a year, so it had to go, and it did.

TW
Well that's certainly acceptable, I guess as with anything you have good ones and bad ones. Thanx
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The reason they make different types of rigs, is that there are different types of people. What works great for one person may be the wrong unit for another.

I don't always stop where there is a handy campground. With a class "A" I just pull over and eat, nap, whatever. If I hear something outside that makes me nervous, (maybe a bear or a drunk at the door trying to get in), I don't have to get out of the vehicle before I can leave. You can pull an inexpensive car, (a used junker), for local transportation. With a trailer or 5th wheel, Your truck had better be in pretty good shape, and when you get to where you are going and unhook to site see, your still going to get not so good gas mileage. A 30 foot trailer and a truck is also a lot longer to maneuver than a 30' class A, so temporary parking can also be a problem.
DannyB1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned 2 tents, a folddown trailer, 2 fifth wheels, 1 pickup camper, 4 boats, as large as 52 ft with twin Diesels, and 1, 42ft Diesel pusher (presently). I have also had many pickups from an F150 to a F450 including Ford's, Chevy, and Dodge diesels.
The one thing they all had in common was they are depreciating assets, and that part is not why we own them! I cannot say the one I own presently is my favorite, yet there are many things I do like about it! The cost of maintaining is not one of them. Least expensive to maintain, the TENTs! So why don't we all own tents?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #34

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
A 30 foot trailer and a truck is also a lot longer to maneuver than a 30' class A, so temporary parking can also be a problem.
Add a toad to the class A and there's probably no difference.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
we are heading for a 5'er for our next rv, as our MH was in the shop for 4 months and if we were FT like we want to be, we would have a problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I suppose if you are going to stay in one place for several months, instead of traveling around much, then a 5'er would be the better choice. But, if you want to travel around ever week or month, then a motorhome would be the better choice. At least, that's how I see it. I like them both.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
we are heading for a 5'er for our next rv, as our MH was in the shop for 4 months and if we were FT like we want to be, we would have a problem.
Ya I suppose that issues with the driveline on a MH could end up with that type of scenario good point. They don't tend to give out "loaners" either.lol
Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #38

Yes but in my Class A I can put it on cruise control, and get up to go to the bathroom. Try that in a Truck pulling a camper.

And my stewardess can fetch me a sandwitch and a beer from the fridge and do dishes, vaccume, and dust while on the road.

And I can go from bed to driver seat and back without ever having to put any clothes on.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Yes but in my Class A I can put it on cruise control, and get up to go to the bathroom. Try that in a Truck pulling a camper.

And my stewardess can fetch me a sandwitch and a beer from the fridge and do dishes, vaccume, and dust while on the road.

And I can go from bed to driver seat and back without ever having to put any clothes on.
And here I thought *I* was the only one who did all that...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post

You're kidding of course.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but the interest on your motorhome or towable is deductible whereas the interest on the tow vehicle is not. Small point I would say but it works for me.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote