Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
That chart is great for the state that you live in and where your DL has been issued assuming that most of your travel is within your state.

This has been hashed about many times it many other threads.

How does that chart affect RVer's with out of state licenses?

That has never been firmly determined by anyone on this forum.

When traveling in the state of Florida I have seen the most over-length rigs on either I-95 or I-75 and some were even commercial that I could tell.

I have never been stopped in the state of Florida, yet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

Length

This might be a silly question....but does the total lenght include the mirrors that stick out in front of a MH and the ladder that is affixed at the rear of a bus for access to the roof? Or is it just bumper to bumper?

Thanx Don
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Mirrors and ladders do NOT count toward length of vehicle.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 40 monaco with a 24 car hauler v-nose.I just measured the trailer with v-nose ,extended tongue is 27',bumper hitch just under 1',with coach40'.That makes us 68' total. Hope this does not cause us a problem.We have no plans to go to California stay in south,south west and once a year to Maine. I really do not want to call insurance agent and ask. Hope if we have an accident it will be a rear ender and shorten the trailer that 3'. Hope this is not a problem? See a lot of 40'ers with a 24 'trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	70377  
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I read these threads all the time, it never ceases to amaze me the level of conjecture that goes on.

IF you are in an accident, and are currently insured at the time of your accident, wheather at fault or not, your insurance company will pay the claim. They have to, end of story. All the what if scenarios will not change this. Yes, I have been through several litigations on these types of issues.

As DR4Film pointed out, you are quassi governed by your home state. To solve your over the length issues, and insure you are always legal, go spend the couple bucks and buy and over length permit, for Texas its under $100, for Florida I think its $60. Once you buy your permit, which is basically filling out a form and paying some money, you are good, now you are 100% legal, no ticket, no problems. Most permits are good for a period of time like 90/180 days, think some states you can buy an yearly permit. The permit you buy in your home state, is valid anywhere you choose to travel, you do not have to get one in every state you enter.

We are 70ft and haul a trailer, have traveled everywhere in the US and just spent a month in Cali, not once have we ever had an issue. We do not have an overlength permit, nor do I worry about it, however have purchased over length permits before, and they are very easy to get. If you want piece of mind, go spend the couple bucks and get a permit.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

Have a very good family friend who owns a 45 Prevost with a 30ft enclosed trailer. He got pulled over by the CHP for doing 58mph on interstate 10, they measured his length he was at 79ft. They impounded his RV and trailer. He had to pay close to $4000 towing fees, plus a $1000 per ft over violation ticket, and with the speeding ticket was close to $15000. By the time it was done it was over $20k in total. So just know that you are flirting with disaster if you get a CHP officer that wants to ruin your day. If you come in to the state and you know that you over 65 feet and you get into a accident you will be screwed and the fact that you posted a question about breaking the law on this forum, which could be used against you in court of law would really make me think twice before you break the law, and for godsakes people please don't post that you break the law and don't have any problems as you have no Idea who reads these posts.
mgjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
I read these threads all the time, it never ceases to amaze me the level of conjecture that goes on.

IF you are in an accident, and are currently insured at the time of your accident, wheather at fault or not, your insurance company will pay the claim. They have to, end of story. All the what if scenarios will not change this. Yes, I have been through several litigations on these types of issues.
It's not conjecture, it's a calm assessment of risk. 65 ft maximum length. If your combination is 68-72 ft length, in an accident, YES insurance will cover your claim for that incident. What about next time? Think it'll be easy getting renewed? And it's not just insurance coverage you need worry about.

With the lawyer sharks circling, an injured party certainly could bring a suit against you claiming you were 'dangerously over-size' and reckless and willfully disregarding laws, tying you up in court until all your assets were bled dry. You have to ask, is it worth the risk?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #22

45' Motorhomes

Also all you out of state guys with a 45' RV's you are not allowed to drive them in the state of California unless your state has issued you a permit to drive a 45' RV. Welcome to California, the land of you "Can't Do That!"
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjessop View Post
45' Motorhomes

Also all you out of state guys with a 45' RV's you are not allowed to drive them in the state of California unless your state has issued you a permit to drive a 45' RV. Welcome to California, the land of you "Can't Do That!"
The drivers license class that was issued to you in your home state for driving a 45 foot RV is honored in all 50 states of the union.

There is no special permit needed other than you normal drivers license covering the class of vehicle that you plan to drive.

The link you provided is for California residents only. It doesn't pertain to out-of-state residents.

Over-length permits are issued for each state you travel in. If I purchase one for Alaska, it has no value in any other state or Province in Canada.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #24

Out-of-State Drivers: Non-residents visiting California may not operate a motorhome over 40 feet in length unless in possession of an out-of-state driver license authorizing the operation of that vehicle. See CVC Section 12804.15(b)(2) which is also copied below under "Legal History."

Just make sure your state allows you to drive a 45' rv and you will be fine.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I tried to sit on my hands and not enter this discussion because it's the ultimate exercise in futility! Other than the CDL issue this is the most volatile subject regarding MH's and Toterhomes. Find 3 DOT officers from the same state and question them and you're likely to get 3 different answers in regards to what they look for, ticket, or let slide. The Federal DOT regs are so ambiguous it's ridiculous. For you folks researching this issue that want more info visit any racing, equestrian, or car show forum and search the threads. Those folks travel many miles weekly with trailers in tow and several forums have DOT officers that post on occasion with their viewpoint.

DegoRed, I live just north of you and have traveled thousands of miles with my 42' coach and 34' stacker trailer stacker(tongue to bumper) across the country for years and I have never received a ticket. However, along with random DOT roadside checks, and POE checks, I have personally witnessed DPS set up in several states, including Texas, looking for overlength rigs and issuing citations for OL and no Class B CDL. Some of my friends that were ticketed beat the non CDL ticket, some did not. Not one beat the OL citation. These were all expensive DP's with 24'-32' trailers with no decals or lettering to distinguish them from Mom & Pop going to the swap meet.

Quick related DOT story, a friend who is retired DPS trooper (says he never pulled a MH/trailer combo over unless a serious violation was evident) lives in Rockport, TX. He has a local DOT that lives in the area that ticketed him often for not possessing a Class B CDL. He got the ticket dismissed several times, then finally gave in and got the license because the trooper was relentless and the local judge told him it was the law. Recently a friend was pulled over in Liberty Hill, Tx inspected, weighed, and measured. Everything was in order EXCEPT he didn't possess a Class B CDL. After a lengthy roadside (over an hour) discussion he told the officer he was going inside to take a nap until the officer decided what to do. He was issued a warning and was on his way.

To those that have posted they have no trouble in CA... do you use the Banning POE when it's open? It is avoided like the plaque and considered a black hole by the motorsports community. We only used that POE when it was closed. Impounded rigs, exorbitant fines, and long delays were common. Certain areas in the East share the same reputation with the motorsports crowd.

I've been "lucky" and never had a problem. Over the years I've become aware of most of the trouble spots to avoid and I'm not going to stress over it. However, I won't be surprised if I have an issue at some point. The bottom line to all of this to me is the LEO standing at your window. It will be his interpretation of the law that is germane at the moment. Whether or not you can prevail in traffic court is another matter. Respectfully,
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow