RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Towing 5th wheel versus having a company tow it

We are looking into full time 5th wheel living and my wife had an idea I want to see if anyone else is doing this or had considered it. That is paying a company to tow the 5th wheel from one location to another a few times each year. We look at the cost of the tow vehicle and insurance and would need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for a 32 foot 5th wheel gvw approx. 10,000 lbs the 1/2 tons would be at their max capacity .I am 65 and wouldn't look forward to navigating the larger cities IE Seattle, LA not knowing not knowing where we would be going to find the park. The vehicle even a couple of years old ( new is out of the question ) would be upwards of $50,000. The more I think about it the more this makes sense We could have a smaller vehicle which would be good on gas versus the tow vehicle and could follow our rig to its destination. We are not necessarily thinking Canada in summer and California / Arizona winter but have kids in Canada and Alberta who we would like to visit and stay a while. Am I missing something? I must be because I don't see or hear of anyone doing this.? Your input appreciated. I am not too feeble to drive nd my wife is not yet 60 so age is not really a factor I just wonder about using the cost of the tow vehicle to better use . Thanks very much

balticblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #2

Plenty of delivery companies out there and/or individual who may tow for you. If only a few times a year it may be realistic. Check it out and report back. Others may be interested.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

If only moving a few times a year, I would look into a bumper pull. Less steps.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
If only moving a few times a year, I would look into a bumper pull. Less steps.
by bumper pull do you mean a travel trailer ? We looked at both and have decided a 5th wheel is right for us . Thanks very much
Old 01-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Plenty of delivery companies out there and/or individual who may tow for you. If only a few times a year it may be realistic. Check it out and report back. Others may be interested.
We will, was wondering if anyone else had done it this way or was the thrill in driving your rig where you wanted to go and pull over when you wanted to ? Thanks for the response
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #6

I deliver 5'ers, TT and MHs part time; alot of my customers share your idea. The cost of a large tow vehicle and the stress (their opinion) of transport twice a year is easy relieved by paying a transporter. Lots of options...

2015 Jayco Pinnacle FLSA & 2008 Chevy Duramax

Anxiously awaiting retirement where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
^^ agree.

Some good friends of ours do what you describe for the same reasons you cite. They stay in the same park for up to a year sometimes. When they do move on, they hire it out. They too do not want the stress of maneuvering through traffic with their 5th wheel and do not really want to own a big pickup to tow it.

They have a Class B and tow a Jeep Wrangler behind it. They use one or the other or both for taking supplemental and extended trips and exploring away from the base spot. They will typically stay at one location for at least six months. They are thrilled when they find an RV park that will accommodate all three units. Sometimes, however, they have had to store the van elsewhere.

I think they've used uShip the last few times to move the 5th wheel as they can get bids and check out if the bidder has experience, insurance, licensed property, etc. and read their reviews ahead of time.

uShip

Or perhaps MGrawe can give you better enlightenment on all of this.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

To us, a lot of the fun is traveling in the RV and stopping wherever we want to explore an area. It might even just be a 75-mile drive that day. We didn't get a RV to just put it in a RV park a couple times a year. We used the RV to sitesee along the way. If you wanted to just switch between two places a year you might just want to look into purchasing two stationery Park Model trailers to leave onsite at the two places. Then you'd just need a car to travel between the two. You can get some reasonable yearly rental fees.

Going through big cities shouldn't be a problem if you plan it to drive in the least crowded times like Sunday morning or between 9-2pm. You can also drive secondary highways and avoid the big cities and interstates completely. That's what we did. You also see more interesting things along the secondary highways. It sounds like you'd have plenty of time to just travel different routes to avoid big cities.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing