Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

Towing a boat

Everyone talks about towing a boat behind their class A or class C MH. How do you put the boat in and out of the water without breaking camp? Do you use your unit to put it in the water and leave it there until you break camp?
bucsfan116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am curious to see the answers here. We recently sold our pick-up thinking we could tow our 27 ft pontoon boat with the car (2013 Lincoln MKX) but come to find out the boat weighs 4300 lbs and the MKX is only supposed to tow up to 3500 lbs (tongue weight is fine at 300 lbs).

I am thinking about towing the boat with the Motor home and the DW following in the MKX toad then launching the boat with the MKX. I am hoping it wouldn't hurt anything just driving a mile or two to launch and retrieve the boat even with it almost a thousand lbs over its limit?

My grandfather had a motor home and used it launch his little fishing boat but (you probably guessed it) one time the boat started floating off the trailer without him connecting a launch rope and when he saw the boat floating away in his mirror, he jumped out to get it before it drifted too far and forgot to put the motor home in Park. Serious water damage and I don't remember but imagine it totaled out the motor home. I am sure we are all much more smarter and alert than that, but you just never know...

I am just a little reluctant to launch the boat with the Motor home but depending on the rsponses you get here we are subject to changing our plans.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We only towed our boat on vacation 1 time with our Class C, that was the last time.

The boat was narrower then the RV which made backing it into the water difficult, finally did it but had to stop, pull forward, and then back up some more. Don't know if a backup camera would have helped.

I did go to the trouble of having a front hitch mounted to make it easier to maneuver but this would require dropping the boat, turning the RV around and then rehooking and launching. Either way not an easy chore.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Had an 18' Sea Ray we towed all over California - especially to Lake Shasta from Temecula - with a 27' Class C. Then a 21' Sea Ray we pulled with a Class A. Motorhomes are superb tow vehicles. First off, if the ramp has the appropriate amount of slope, you will not get your back wheels wet as was often the case with the vans, Grand Cherokee & Tundra I also towed with. Do not submerge any part of the RV to launch! On long steep ramps often found in N Cal late summers, do not be tempted to nose down & make a U-turn to launch. Motorhomes are too top heavy even though it can be carefully done. Just back down slowly. Don't put a hitch on the front of the RV! You need the weight over the drive wheels! Backing up with a narrow trailer is a problem. Now . . . To get to the essence of your question. Wherever possible, I rented a slip for the boat. Launch when we arrived, retrieve days later when we departed. When dry camping in the Class C, with no slides or jacks, not a problem if no slips were available. With the A's 2 slides & jacks, I personally would have been unwilling to break camp to launch & retrieve each day. Cal for the most part is lacking in quality RV facilities close to good boating areas. What I've seen of the south, it should not be hard to find a nice RV park within easy walking distance to a marina with slips for rent. I would absolutely have to have a way to leave the RV in place with the boat in the water the whole time I was there.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

I will be next year at OCMD.
It all depends on the launch.
Our class a tows the boat with ease and is easy to move around with the rear camera mounted as high as it is.
I would first want to see what the launch itself is like and how much room there is to move around.
OCMD has a large public launch which will make it quite easy.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing