Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2004, 03:32 AM   #1
ant

how to you guys tow down steep hills?
one guy i was with shifted his truck in "2nd" gear all the way down to prevent the need to use the breaks.

the motor seemed to be hi on the rpm's

thanks,ant
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2004, 03:32 AM   #2
ant

how to you guys tow down steep hills?
one guy i was with shifted his truck in "2nd" gear all the way down to prevent the need to use the breaks.

the motor seemed to be hi on the rpm's

thanks,ant
Old 12-04-2004, 04:32 AM   #3

I have a automatic and will downshift but will keep the speed down so I don't overrev the engine. I use the brakes sparingly as needed to keep the RPM's down.

Doug
Old 12-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
ant

thnks...i have a diesel also
Old 12-04-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
CD

Ant
Tell us what you are towing & tow rig, engine, tranny etc. so we have a better idea what you can do to improve your braking if needed. There are things you can change to improve braking such as exhaust brake, locking TC,etc. Doug is absolutly correct about gearing down to control speed. If you need to use 1St. gear, so be it. If you overheat the brakes you can loose the whole thing to say nothing about endangering others.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:44 AM   #6

I have the Ford V-10 gasser. Gear down in 2nd hitting the brake to keep revs down.
Joe

Our Website
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
ant

1996 ford 250 psd
3 spot atv trailer loadad total lbs.= 1800 lbs. max.
auto trans
Old 12-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Any This is what I was taught in driving school. Gear down and then control your speed with braking. When your speed builds up get on the brakes aggressively enough to slow down about 10 mph. Then get off the brakes until the speed builds up again. If you ride the brakes as some do if the brakes are slightly out of adjustment only a couple brakes could do it all and overheat. By slowing down you brake hard enough to use all the brakes. I watch my rpms also to not overspeed and damage the engine.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
i have a 2500 Chevy Duramax, Allison and on steep hills it holds back just fine. It will downshift if needed to hold the speed down. Great tranny, just hope it stays great.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:59 AM   #10

Ant,

Dagwood has hit it right on the head. His solution is straight from the commercial truck book and I have used this method myself. While descending go slow enough to control your braking when needed. Forget about the guy that just blew by you at 60 mph. He can't stop in an emergency if needed. I had a lot of people go by me on a mt grade but I felt safte. I would hit the brakes hard then let up so they would cool down as i coasted some more. When the speed built back up about 10 mph or so I hit them again. This keeps your brakes cool and doesn't overheat them like riding the brakes all the way down will.

Also, an exhaust brake on a diesel helps a lot.

Kerf
Old 12-05-2004, 03:34 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior planning may be as important as the techniques used during the decent. I was stunned several years ago when I learned the annual NYS vehicle inspections require only one wheel to be pulled for brake inspection and that for the most part it was and eye-ball of the pads, drums and/or disks on both the truck and trailer. Since then I pay an extra few bucks to have all the wheels pulled and a complete inspection of all components including repacking the bearings every other year or 10,000 miles.
Within the fist few miles of towing, each day, go through the trailer bake test and set up as described in your brake control manual.
At the first sign of those big orange signs with flashing lights and % marks I get her slowed down in the right lane, 50 mph is fast enough for me, shift down and use Dagwood's method of maintaining speed, up to 60 then back to 50 with firm, smooth application of brakes with foot off pedal in-between. Although I have never been in the situation, I would not be too proud to get the four-ways on below 45 mph if deemed prudent.
To all the vehicles passing at high speed, the start of a smile at the corners of you mouth will do, you can as you pass them buried up to their axils in sand at one of the emergency shoots. Also, keep an eye on the rear view if a big rig is closing fast with head lights flashing keep out of his way and you'll get to twice.

Can someone overdrive experience expand on it's use in these situations?
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:46 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well said, Mike....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:55 AM   #13
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I also agree with Mike, Down shift to a lower gear or 2 , to help maintain your speed without over heating the breaks. As far as using my overdrive, as soon as I down shift its not being used. Cruise control wont help keep you slowed to either. take it slow and if the trailer starts to squirm, hit the manual stop on the controller and get it back in line. Don't panic and slam on the breaks.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Use the same gear that [or a lower gear than] you would use for going up the same hill. Here's what my PA Commercial Driver's Manual states: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Be in the right gear before starting down the grade. Shift the transmissionto a low gear before starting down the grade. Do not try to downshift after your speed has already built up. You will not be able to shift into a lower gear. You may not even be able to get back into any gear and all engine braking effect will be lost. Forcing an automatic transmission into a lower gear at high speed could damage the trasmission and also lead to loss of all engine braking effect.

With older trucks, a rule for choosing gears is to use the same gear going down a hill that you would need to climb the hill. However, new trucks have low frictions parts and streamlined shapes for fuel economy. They may also have more powerful engines. This means they can go up hills in higher gears and have less friction and air drag to hold them back going down hills. For that reason, drivers of modern trucks may have to use lower gears going down a hill than would be required to go up the hill. You should know what is right for your vehicle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember that your RVs handle much in the same way that commercial vehicles do. For that reason, it is a good idea to go to your local BMV and request a Commercial Driver's Manual. These are FREE in PA, and I would speculate that other states are too.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote