Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #1

Towing vehicle rental

My main goal in using my trailer is to go to Yellowstone, drive out from california and take at least 2-4 weeks of travel. I have a 17ft TT and tow it w a 4x2 FJ Cruiser, I don't want To burn out my tranny or abuse my daily driver. Do rental places rent trucks capable of towing? Or am I exagetating about not wanting to use my FJ?
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
paz

U-haul and others rent pickups, and since they also rent cargo trailers, I can't imagine the trucks aren't capable of towing. Your 17' TT would probably only need a 1/2 ton.

Most of the newer pickups have an integrated brake controller, so you should be good to go. Check with the rental company you're considering to make sure and to see what kind of electrical connector the truck has before making a commitment. You would probably also want an extended cab or a crew cab, so make sure that's available, too.

Beyond that, make sure you calculate the mileage charges. They may be a killer.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #3

Your FJ will be fine. I towed a 18 ft trailer 14k miles around the country with mine last summer and I know others who do similar.

Though, if you tow a lot...get the airbags for your rear coils.
compubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming your trailer + passengers and gear are well within the FJ's tow rating, it should be fine. Do the numbers and then check back. I think the FJ has a 5000 lb tow limit, but that gets decreased if carry passengers & gear, other than driver & fuel. A 17 foot trailer probably runs near 4000 lbs loaded, so you might be close on total weight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #5

Just go with your FJ. Chances are any 1/2 ton or other truck rental that'd do the job would have a disclosure on the rental agreement prohibiting such usage.

If you're worried about your FJ towing, put a TruCool transmission cooler on it. Any vehicle towing any trailer needs one.

Air bags are not needed on such a vehicle. They're best reserved for a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. They just help with braking and handling--not more carrying capacity.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Just go with your FJ. Chances are any 1/2 ton or other truck rental that'd do the job would have a disclosure on the rental agreement prohibiting such usage.

If you're worried about your FJ towing, put a TruCool transmission cooler on it. Any vehicle towing any trailer needs one.

Air bags are not needed on such a vehicle. They're best reserved for a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. They just help with braking and handling--not more carrying capacity.
They actually help the sag from the trailer.

If you want to see what I did with my fj..

Checkout creamytardis.blogspot.com
compubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info.

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Old 09-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by compubmw View Post
They actually help the sag from the trailer.

If you want to see what I did with my fj..

Checkout creamytardis.blogspot.com
Link won't open

Tags
tow, towing