Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing with a Sprinter chassis MH?

Right now we have a Winnie Aspect 26A on a Ford chassis & have no problem towing our Honda CRV. However in the ever ongoing search for the perfect MH we have been looking at the smaller used units on a Sprinter chassis with either a 154 or 188 diesel engine. I realize that the CCC will be very limited if we tow our present car and am asking if anyone has any experience with this set up? Most of the smaller Sprinters I have seen have not been towing a vehicle. If anything, they have a receiver with a large box for "extras" or a bike carrier. I have run the numbers, and the fuel savings cost is not all that much over the course of a year figuring 10,000 miles a year. We are retired and do a lot of short trips in Florida during the year and 1 or 2 long (month or more) trips a year.

SORRY if this seems long but I have done as much math as I can on the subject and would like some "experienced" input on the situation.

If the moderator believes this post should be on the "chassis" or other area, please move as you see fit.
Thanks,
John B.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the owner's manual and the sticker by the driver's seat to see if you have the capacity to tow a car.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly check the placard in each vehicle for that models limits. In general, The Sprinter chassis has a GVWR of 11030 lbs. Its GCWR is15250 lbs.

My neighbor and I recently looked at some of the Sprinter models available...

Fully loaded at 11030, you can tow 4220lbs. We saw models from different manufacturers with a 5000lb hitch or some with 3500lb hitches. It looks like the CCC (Carrying capacity) for the View is about 1500lbs. This probably varies a lot between manufactures.. (clothes, food, supplies, tools can easily put a dent in that.)

Some numbers- Road Test - 2013 Winnebago View 24V - RV Magazine
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

I've been towing with a 2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity since last April while full timing. While cognizant of its power band, it can maintain speed on all but the steepest climbs and gets 15 MPG.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You mentioned a limited CCC, but that is not really affected by towing. It's the GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight) that you need to be concerned about for the tow vehicle. 4-down towing adds very little weight on the hitch, basically just the weight of the tow bar, so doesn't impact the CCC much at all.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr John View Post
Right now we have a Winnie Aspect 26A on a Ford chassis & have no problem towing our Honda CRV. However in the ever ongoing search for the perfect MH we have been looking at the smaller used units on a Sprinter chassis with either a 154 or 188 diesel engine. I realize that the CCC will be very limited if we tow our present car and am asking if anyone has any experience with this set up? Most of the smaller Sprinters I have seen have not been towing a vehicle. If anything, they have a receiver with a large box for "extras" or a bike carrier. I have run the numbers, and the fuel savings cost is not all that much over the course of a year figuring 10,000 miles a year. We are retired and do a lot of short trips in Florida during the year and 1 or 2 long (month or more) trips a year.

SORRY if this seems long but I have done as much math as I can on the subject and would like some "experienced" input on the situation.

If the moderator believes this post should be on the "chassis" or other area, please move as you see fit.
Thanks,
John B.
I owned a 2010 WGO View 24A for almost 5 years and towed a Honda Fit with no problem...have fun!

Jim
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Do the numbers, that will answer your question...

Your towing capacity is normally the lowest of:

- GCWR minus weight of MH when ready to travel (loaded).

- Hitch capacity.

- MH tow capacity.

- Chassis tow capacity...some times the last two are different.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #8

I dont think you can equate an RV by gas price. That in my experience is the lowest of all the costs involved. The Sprinters are major dollars to have repaired. I currently own 2 and at one point had three. One was in for a new intake manifold due to the "black death" and the dealer couldnt replace the glow plug under warranty so it was decided a new head was the only fix. Under warranty I might ad.. the invoice at the end read $7000 almost. on a $35k van. Now it was fixed under warranty I didn't pay a dime. But it did take them 7 weeks to do the repair. (Mercedes dealer)

I used to joke with the service writer that it was a good thing I had a spare sprinter.....

My point being. The 21 MPG was a steep price to pay for a van that every time was in the shop required a minimum $1100.00 repair. You can buy a lot of gas for that. And the MPG savings alone from 8 to 15 or 16 will take a long time to recoup that $1100.00.

I'd buy what you want to live in not whats gets the best mileage from point A to point B.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our Via, we envisioned towing most of the time. As time goes on, we see the need diminishing. We recently returned from 6 weeks in Fl with the Toad and have decided that we don't need to tow it next year. We often left the Toad at the CG and took the RV on trips, even if it was to a Walmart 15 minutes away. That way, all of your stuff is with you. And it only takes a few minutes to disconnect and setup when we return. I do still see a need to tow rarely, such as when we stay outside of Baltimore for tests at Johns Hopkins.
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

Towing behind a sprinter

Good people,
We had 2008 (?) Dodge Sprinter 2500 modified by Sportsmobile in Austin Tx, who did an excellent job. The Sprinter was the longest version.
Towing limit was 5,000 lbs. We towed Chrysler Sebring which probably weighed 3,500 lbs with no problem for about 10,000 miles. No problems, except once were the engine overload cut in on a steep hill and the engine went into limp home mode. We just waited till everything cooled down. Typically we cruised at 60-65 mph on a flat freeway. Everything was within manufacturers limits (just). We sold it because we wanted more space.
Bob

Tags
chassis, tow, towing