Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I just went and checked my account. For whatever reason, and I don't know when it happened, the transponder classification for my RV has been changed to "3 axles, 6 tires (up to 7,000 lbs) = class 76". This is the same description as the transponder I use for towing. The RV transponder used to say "3 axles, 6 tires (up to 14,000 lbs)", and had a different class #. I'll have to check on that, before I end up getting more crap from them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I would like to get an EZPass for my MH and toad but WV doesn't seem to allow this. Their rule states
"Your tag will not be valid when your vehicle is towing anything. If your
vehicle is towing anything, you must use a staffed lane and pay your toll fare."
i just came thru wva in my mh w/toad and sailed right thru i have a va EZ pass from what i hear you can get a pass from any state

Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I have EZPass from Ohio. I have a two transducers - one for my motorhome and one for my Jeep Liberty. The EZPass representative said to remove the Jeep's transducer when towing to make sure that I didn't get charged twice and wrap it in foil. It's attached by Velcro supplied by EZPass. I keep it in the glove comaprtment. When I drive the Jeep on the turnpike by itself, I reattach the transducer to the windshield.

I have never had a billing problem with any EZPass state.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We have been using EZ-Pass from day one in NJ. We have 2 transponders 1 for the MH and the other for the car. Why? In the beginning you needed 2. Now when we tow we removed the one from the toad and put it a shielded bag so we do not get charged twice.
We only pay 1 service fee for both.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #19

I live in MD and used mine (motorhome) on a trip to Maine while towing and went through a few tolls with no problem. The best thing since rubber gloves. No waiting=GREAT! JIM
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #20

Be aware on the PA Turnpike. The ticket machine sometimes "sees" a big vehicle and prints a toll ticket for a high weight class. As mentioned above there are no scales at the toll booth. The toll taker has to charge you according to your entrance ticket. Keep an eye on your weight class and ask for a refund form, mail it in with a copy of your registration and wait 8 weeks for a refund.

Using an EZPass assures you of being charged accurately.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I can assure you that not all states in the EZ pass system use the same set of rules. Not all states read the front license plate.(on the bus) Not all states read the rear license plate (on the toad).

Not all states violations department personel speak fluent english.

Don't ask how I know this.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I just got off the phone with EZ PASS Virginia and the official answer to my question is I need to get another transponder programmed for my car and trailer. I guess it's worth $6.00 per year for the convenience of not waiting in toll lines.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #23

I hope I don't step on any toes and no disrespect intended but E-Z Pass is like any other government run office (ex. Motor Vehicle Admin/Social Security etc) if you call back and get a different person on the phone you will more than likely get a different answer. One of the big things is about the class drivers license needed to operate an Motorhome over 26,000 lbs with air brakes OMG they will argue among themselves @ Motor Vehicles... Jim
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperkids View Post
I hope I don't step on any toes and no disrespect intended but E-Z Pass is like any other government run office (ex. Motor Vehicle Admin/Social Security etc) if you call back and get a different person on the phone you will more than likely get a different answer. One of the big things is about the class drivers license needed to operate an Motorhome over 26,000 lbs with air brakes OMG they will argue among themselves @ Motor Vehicles... Jim
I hear you camperkids. I hate dealing with bureaucracies. The lady I spoke with did check with her boss and that answer did match what was on their website FAQ's. It seems to me paying a $.50/month maintenance fee is much less painful than dealing with them if they want to challenge my use of my current transponder. The previous posts scare me and I'm fearless Warren
Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #25

Three years, back n forth from Long Island to Florida, only had problem once with EZPASS at Del/Mem bridge. They billed me for the toad (ford edge) and a penality. Their reader didn't catch the connection and thought the car was alone. Later resolved and was billed for $1.00.
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #26

Got through to customer service in West Virginia and was informed that to get the transducer for a motorhome I have to open a commercial account. The personal account is for cars only. This would entail paying $25 for the transducer and opening a debit account with a minimum balance of $50 and topping this up $100 at a time when it falls below $50. An out of state account is valid in WV but I would be paying the full toll and not get any discounts.
As we only have 3 toll booths on I-77 in WV the $1 saving hardly justifies the expense so I guess I will continue to stop and pay cash.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing