Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Towing with EZ PASS

Another newbie question. I live in northern Virginia and will be towing my TT on toll roads. Since moving here I've been using EZ PASS to pay tolls. Once I add the trailer, I'm not sure how to travel toll roads. Is my only option to remove the EZ PASS from my car and get in line with everyone else or is there a way I can use the pass?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
E-Z pass can adjust your service for the type of vehicle which the toll is required. Then you can just drive on through. Just remember that if this is not permanent, you must call again when just the car is used. You may be able to have a seperate account for the towing situation. Our account remains active even though we spend up to a year away from the ez pass network. Hope this helps.

SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Call EZ-Pass and tell them that you will be towing a trailer when you travel on the toll roads. They will send you a blue window tag that is to be used when towing. That way they can charge the correct rate for a car & trailer. They are very helpful.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

You don't have to do anything when you tow your TT. Depending on the state, the toll is charged by the number of axles or the total weight and they have sensors to determine that. Since EZPass booths are unmanned, how could a window tag affect your toll? When we tow our toad we have always been charged the correct toll.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Been using EZ pass on mh and car for years. You can go on their web site and put tag no. for each power unit and you shouldn't have a problem. Toll booth simply counts your axles.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks everyone. I will call them and see what they say.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
Been using EZ pass on mh and car for years. You can go on their web site and put tag no. for each power unit and you shouldn't have a problem. Toll booth simply counts your axles.
We have an EZPass. I have used it with MH only, MH + Tow and Tow only. Always been charged the correct toll.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #8

Same here works in MH when towing, or in toad both are registered with EZPass.
Havent tried towing the MH with the toad but I assume it will work with that also
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I live in Va., and I can tell you from painful experience, Va EZ-Pass does not charge your account according to whether you have a trailer of not. I have been having this argument with these idiots in Richmond for years. You would think that a system that is smart enough to know I have a trailer in tow, would be smart enough to charge my account accordingly. BUT, not in Va !!!!

I used to constantly get nasty letters from EZ-Pass threatening court action over $10 or less because I would pull my trailer through an EZ-Pass lane with my standard "2 axle" tag. Also, it would know if I drove my RV through an EZ-Pass lane, and would gig me because I was over the weight limit (although it was only 2 axles). I eventually had to get a seperate "3 axle" tag to use when pulling the trailer, AND "overweight" tag ( I think for anything over 7000lbs on 2 axles) for the RV. Otherwise, you have to go through the regular pay lanes.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks. I looked at the website today and am thinking I will reclassify my SUV when I'm going to pull the trailer, then reclass it back to 2 axles.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
I live in Va., and I can tell you from painful experience, Va EZ-Pass does not charge your account according to whether you have a trailer of not. I have been having this argument with these idiots in Richmond for years. You would think that a system that is smart enough to know I have a trailer in tow, would be smart enough to charge my account accordingly. BUT, not in Va !!!!

I used to constantly get nasty letters from EZ-Pass threatening court action over $10 or less because I would pull my trailer through an EZ-Pass lane with my standard "2 axle" tag. Also, it would know if I drove my RV through an EZ-Pass lane, and would gig me because I was over the weight limit (although it was only 2 axles). I eventually had to get a seperate "3 axle" tag to use when pulling the trailer, AND "overweight" tag ( I think for anything over 7000lbs on 2 axles) for the RV. Otherwise, you have to go through the regular pay lanes.

I'm assuming you have a VA EZPass. I got charged the correct toll last year when I crossed the bridge on US301 from MD to VA using a MD EZPass. I wonder if it is something in how VA implemented the system.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #12

I would like to get an EZPass for my MH and toad but WV doesn't seem to allow this. Their rule states
"Your tag will not be valid when your vehicle is towing anything. If your
vehicle is towing anything, you must use a staffed lane and pay your toll fare."
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I would like to get an EZPass for my MH and toad but WV doesn't seem to allow this. Their rule states
"Your tag will not be valid when your vehicle is towing anything. If your
vehicle is towing anything, you must use a staffed lane and pay your toll fare."
It must be a state-by-state thing since this is a direct quote from the Maryland EZPass website:

Can I use my E-ZPassŪ transponder while towing a camper or trailer?
Yes. However, you will be charged the full fare rate for the actual number of axles.

Are you aware that you don't have to get an EZPass from the state you live in? Now that we are South Dakota residents, Maryland doesn't seem to any any problem with it. The account information webpage is quite content to accept our out-of-state address and vehicle registration information.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

It's got to be the individual State system of managing your EZPass. We've had a series of Delaware Passes since they first came out and tow all up and down the east coast, and out to Illinois. Never had a problem if I was towing, not towing, pulling single or multiple axles or just driving. We were always charged the right amount, although some times it would have been cheaper to disconnect the toad and drive them through separately. In fact, when I was pulling numerous different trailers that were not mine, I was still charged correctly. As far as I know no state is charging by weight. The Ohio Turnpike was the last to change to the standard EZPass I believe.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing