Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

16" wheels were common on gas chassis coaches in the early-mid 90's. Standard on the Ford F53. I had a tag axle '96 Southwind with 16's.

Quote:
I was told by two tire shops that TOYO tires have durability problems and they showed me that the two remaining TOYO tires, although presently roadworthy were beginning to cup, indicating possible future failure.
"Cupping" is not at all indicative of a tire defect. That is a suspension problem in the vehicle or improper tire balance, neither of which is something the tire manufacturer can be held responsible for.

Most owners give excellent marks to their Toyo tires and Toyo is a major world-wide tire maker with a solid reputation.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #16

I buy Toyo tires because I've never had a problem with them. I've used them on several vehicles.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #17

I have a 2004 Country Coach Allure 40", which had the original Toyo's 12R22.5 tires up until August of last year, so at least 11 years old with 40,000 + miles. When replaced they were still in excellent condition, no cracking or other visible problems. I was very happy with the tires.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #18

time-to-go:

Full agreement from me. Been using them for over 16 years on various vehicles and never had a failure. Current ones on my Kia Sedona have about 60K miles on them and aren't showing a lot of wear.

My main concern is that they last so long, the dealers may go out of business!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #19

You boys are tough.

For you non-believers of the OPs tire size, follow this link >>> 1997 Rexhall Rolls Air

I would normally say that google is your friend, but in this case I used yahoo.

As far as most manufacturers stating that tire failures are caused by the owner’s overloading or underinflating is SOP. It can be found page 12 of the “Manufacturing Handbook on How to Handle Customer Complaints”.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well the OP hasn't responded to our questions or ben back. Apparently he didn't get the responses he wanted.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #21

Well, I can't in my own mind, believe a 16" tire on any class A style Motorhome is enough tire. Those are pick-up tires in my estimation.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
16" wheels were common on gas chassis coaches in the early-mid 90's. Standard on the Ford F53. I had a tag axle '96 Southwind with 16's.
We had a '98 Santara 35' tag unit with the 16's. Only kept it two years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 34' 1995 Winnebago Vectra F53 that had 16" tires on it. It had the same size tire on it that my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel PU had, which I always thought was strange. Never had any problems related to the tire size on that MH!
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Well, I can't in my own mind, believe a 16" tire on any class A style Motorhome is enough tire. Those are pick-up tires in my estimation.
In the old days(I can say that) the 16 was a better choice than the 16.5 and the 17.5 as they were much cheaper and you could get them in the same load range. The other thing the 16's didn't have split rims (extremely dangerous) to contend with. I once converted a 1978 Executive over to 16in rims from 17.5 as I could get the tire's the same rolling diameter and load range a lot cheaper. I don't have the records handey but I remember it was over $125.00 cheaper per tire.
It wasn't long before the builders went to the 19.5 and now it is fun to see small gas coaches on 22,5 tire's
If I was looking at a vintage coach and it had 16" rims I would think that was a plus.
Bill
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #25

Have had Toyo's on a 36ft Class A DP, two Jeeps and a Mustang. Have never had any problems with any of them.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #26

Had a similar issue on a '98 Winnebago Adventurer with the 16" tires. They were Kellys made by Goodyear Had multiple sidewall separations and broken belts. Had a total of 5 failures out of six tires. One blew out sitting still in a campground with the jacks down. Three others failed on one day. IMHO, the 16" LT tires just don't belong on a motorhome that heavy. Might have been a little overloaded, but definitely not under inflated.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Had a similar issue on a '98 Winnebago Adventurer with the 16" tires. They were Kellys made by Goodyear Had multiple sidewall separations and broken belts. Had a total of 5 failures out of six tires. One blew out sitting still in a campground with the jacks down. Three others failed on one day. IMHO, the 16" LT tires just don't belong on a motorhome that heavy. Might have been a little overloaded, but definitely not under inflated.
Well you pretty much have said it was your fault not the tire's fault. You didn't know what the weight was and you were running LT rated tire's.
I think where some ran into problems was where the manufacturer of the chassis shipped it with LT tires and the manufacture of the coach didn't call for a higher load range tire. I had a class C that had the original van chassis tiers LT's and you are right they don't hold up especially on the front. I changed over to load range E tires and never had a problem.
Bill
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Cool

Thanks everybody for all of your replies to my post. I was offline for a while, but had not forgotten about you guys and gals.
I merely stated the facts regarding the failures. I drove the rig to Alaska in '15, a total of almost 11,000 miles with no tire problems whatsoever. On that trip I ran them at 85 PSI (cold) which is a bit above recommended pressure. Recently, it was recommended by a local tire dealer that I should not run at more than 80 PSI (cold). I followed that advice. I'm now thinking that a little higher pressure would be better for the tires. I am running a TPMS and at 80 PSI (cold) have been seeing pressures of 90 to 95 PSI while running. As I recall, during our AK trip, running pressures were staying in the high 80's at 85 PSI (cold).
Tires are Load Range E, 10 Ply Rated and were on the MH when I bought it in late 2014. Date code shows they were manufactured in 2013 and at the time of failure had approx. 16K-18K miles on them.
BTW, the MH data plate states LT235-85-16 tires, Load Range E and 80 PSI.
Regarding the cupping. The tire shops that replaced the tires stated that they see cupping quite often on TOYO tires, but continue to sell them on price point.
a.j.

ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires