Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

"TOYS". Are they necessary for the RV lifestyle?

I see so many toyhaulers these days that I feel compelled to at least entertain the idea. I like the newer ones with the loft above the garage for the kids and the master up front. The liveable space is sizable and the kids get their own area.

On the one hand, it would be nice to bring along a Jet Ski and an ATV (quad) along so that the kids can have fun at various places (plus whatever else we can fit in there.

OTOH, is it even necessary for a 6-9 month RV trip? I mean if we want to play, we can just rent along the way, right?

What is y'alls opinion on that?

I'm on the fence about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Depends on your toys... hubby sometimes brings his powered parachute... right now, we tow it in a trailer, but if he keeps this up, we might end up in a toyhauler as you just can't rent those type toys just anywhere. Those new one's are a lot of money. It is your choice on how you wanna spend it!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what makes Toy Haulers great...It's all in what you want.

We have a Toy Hauler for taking the toys along and at the destination, the garage can also be a guest room, or office, or shop, or kennel, or covered patio, or whatever you want it to be...put cables or legs on the ramp for a party patio too.

Made in bumper tow or 5er and Class A, or C...Toy Haulers are great for many of us
Class "A" Toyhaulers

BTW, because of the question, guess the OP has no toys - yet. Renting toys along the way will get expensive - quick.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We race motorcycles and started with a toy hauler. DW said too much mess and too little living space. We now go racing in our class A and pull a 24' race trailer.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

The more toys the better golf cart,razor,guns depends on where we go.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toys.. Are ALWAYS necessary.. The question is what toys.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If a toy hauler fits your needs, good.

HOWEVER....

I have a bit of a concern with kids sleeping in the loft and the potential for fumes from the toys being a problem. Younger children are more susceptible to the potential dangers from chemicals so consider that.

Most toys have fuel and oils that will have some fumes. Even battery powered units could have some off gassing if charged inside the garage. If the garage is well sealed off from the rest of the coach that is great. I'm not sure about the loft access whether that is sealed off or would allow fumes from the garage to get into the coach as well.

I'm not as versed in them since they were not on our list of choices so take what I have said it for what it is worth.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

We have used ours for sleeping and hauling ATV. When we are ATVing it gives a place to knock the dirt off before entering the sleeping area (strip). Have not had any problem with fumes as should there ever be a drip or spill you wipe it up and we also have the side vents to keep it fresh while traveling. I told DW when we get to old to ATV we will replace it with a golf cart.
When we just go camping we set it up for eating, fits 6 just fine.
Hauls a large grill when you go to tailgating also.
patio....
Place to throw extra outside.... stuff.
Space for the smaller ones, behind glass, should the weather turn foul...
..... works for us.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No need to worry about vapors.

RVIA (and the Canadian equal) require the garage area to be totally sealed from the living area in all segments of Toy Haulers...including the loft.

The interior entry door has a heavy vapor seal and the garage door in my toy hauler is fire resistant.

The one thing that you won't find in a Toy Hauler - Rear Engine Pusher - That's where the toys go. There was a mid-engine in the AllStar line (discontinued) but all other Toy Hauler motorhomes have the engine in the front...like a real truck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

We take 3 chairs and a 4 foot table. We invite neighbors over for checkers, dominoes or some type of game telling them they only need one chair. We go home refreshed, relaxed and with new freinds every trip. I think it's really idiotic for me to own a $10,000.00 4 wheeler for my grandkids, I have 10. They can make up games like we did, or the need for a Jet Ski to further bore them. We don't allow electronic games unless it's raining and I have 2 granddaughters who actually Love to read books. I believe most people overdo vacations. If you need a Golfcart, so be it but I walk.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #11

Howdy!

Fulltime in a 36' 5er for seven years. Along the way we added a Yamaha Majasty scooter to ride instead of driving the MDT which was hard to park at times. We then added a Idaho Tote to the rear of the 5er to carry a Yamaha Rhino. We then opted to get a Smart Car to use and carried it on the Tote. Just recently purchased a new Cyclone 4000 toy hauler. Lots more usable space and we'll carry the Smart Car in the toy hauler. We were 45 long with the 5er and Idaho Tote. The new Toy Hauler is 43 feet.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
There's obviously no right or wrong response, it's all about what you personally enjoy. For myself I wouldn't take one of those noisy machines along with me on a vacation if you gave me the whole setup as a gift.

My neighbor on the other hand loves his toy hauler for his quad and his other prospecting stuff. I'm sure the grandkids would enjoy it if we also hauled around a ATV of some sort, but we aren't the type. To each his own.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
No need to worry about vapors.

RVIA (and the Canadian equal) require the garage area to be totally sealed from the living area in all segments of Toy Haulers...including the loft.

Thanks Steve for clearing that up for me.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Already been said but I'll repeat - no right or wrong, up to you.

I always carry by road bicycle, mountain bicycle, and kayak. Along with my work computer, of course....

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote