Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Hey guys,please don't stop discussing this.
Talk to me about how far these things transmit. It is a good distance from the rear tires of a towed to the front of a 40 ft MH driver's area.

How long does a battery last in the individual monitors?
It would give me some stress relief if I could reliably look and see pressure in individual tires, especially on the towed. We looked at a system a friend had called Hawkshead (???) or something similar. I liked it and it would allow 10 (as I recall) input signals. I thnk the sending units were on the valve stems. What would that do to tire balance?
I have the Pressure Pro system, and in early 2009 bought the 10 sensor system even though I didn't have a toad at the time. At first everything worked well. After about a year, a random sensor would quit working and it would alarm. The batteries aren't owner replaceable.

Since I had extras, I would program and replace the sensor. The failed sensor would eventually start working again, which was good because by then another had reported failure.

During our last trip, several sensors quit working and I couldn't get anything reprogrammed or working again even after a master reset.

I just bought the TST 507 with user replaceable batteries. Since there are so many satisfied owners, there won't be a need for me to report after installation.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Love my TST 507 10 tire system. The monitor is cigarette pack size and has an alarm that I can hear. The monitor can be taken from tire to tire when you are adjusting pressure. The built in battery lasts for 5-7 days, but I used the hard wire option to power mine. It also comes with a cigar lighter plug and suction mount. I velcro'd my monitor to the left base of my speedo console. Setup was easy. I have a 20' enclosed and have no problem with reception.

BTW, I get enough $s to pay off the national debt every time I recommend TST.

tst systems

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Talk to me about how far these things transmit. It is a good distance from the rear tires of a towed to the front of a 40 ft MH driver's area.

It would give me some stress relief if I could reliably look and see pressure in individual tires, especially on the towed. We looked at a system a friend had called Hawkshead (???) or something similar. I liked it and it would allow 10 (as I recall) input signals. I thnk the sending units were on the valve stems. What would that do to tire balance?
Hi Doc, I've had the TST 507 for over a year now - no problems except one sensor I broke being stupid. I told TST what I did and they replaced no charge saying 'it takes some time to learn the system'. So good customer service after the sale.
Tire balance - the sensors are light and they screw on the valve stems - they replace the cap. So subtract weight of cap and add weight of sensor - a slight addition of weight but I haven't noticed any balance or wear issues. The sensors weight can be reduced by removing the outer shell - it is a theft prevension shell that requires a special tool to remove the sensors. Remove it and the sensor is smaller and lighter.
A lot of folks talk about pass thru sensors to allow to air up without removing the sensor - to add air with the sensor you just unscrew these sensors just like you took off the valve stem cap before. No big deal.
You will read on here where one guy had to cut his sensor/valve stem off because they fused. I don't recall the whole story, but I think he had valve extensions that cause corrosion due to dis-similer metals and/or road chemicles. i put mine on in the spring and take them off in the early winter - metal valve stems and never an issue. I live where the roads are heavily salted in the winter.
Hope this helps. Search this site for more info. Keep in mind who posts issues - the issues you see may be repeat submissions on the same single occurance.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

Tst tpms

Quote:

See above post

It would give me some stress relief if I could reliably look and see pressure in individual tires, especially on the towed.

You can step through each tire and it displays each for ~10 seconds.

We looked at a system a friend had called Hawkshead (???) or something similar. I liked it and it would allow 10 (as I recall) input signals.

Up to 22 tires

I thnk the sending units were on the valve stems. What would that do to tire balance?

TST says the weight of the senders doesn't affect balance. I have rubber stems on my enclosed and it has not caused pressure loss or my tires bouncing off the ground.

If you live in a high corrosion area, I believe you can put a very small amount of anti-seize on the stem threads; a very small amount.

tst systems
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Has anybody used the TireStat TPMS system before??
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Oddly enough, I just wrote a short article on TPMS systems in general.

They are a good idea, better if you have only 4 tires on a heavily loaded RV like mine!

Take a look....

http://www.thewanderman.com/2012/02/...onitoring.html

I will be getting one this year and testing the bejeesus out of it for Part2.

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #21

I have the hawkshead system and would not buy it again. Way too many false alarms
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
I have had the TST System on my MH and Toad the longest of most people since my original set was purchased from SAF-TTE before TST became the official US Distributor. After TST took over the System they sent me replacements under warranty even though I did not originally purchase from them. That is true customer service. My point is that my sensors have been on the MH full time since TST began and finally my batteries are beginning to give out. I am ordering a new set as soon as I can settle down in one spot long enough to have it shipped. It will be interesting to see how long the replaceable battery sensors last. I also purchased the repeater from TST since on some occasions I would lose the rear Toad sensors. I can now pick up my MH sensors from over a block and a half away when I have the monitor in the Toad.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #23

Put 507 on 10 tires in June. One sensor would not work. Suggestion was made to replace battery and that solved problem. Did have a number of false low pressure readings alarms. Ut I would adjust the torque on the sensor and get it reading again. Have been on constantly (full timing) and for the last 6 months have had no problem and did warn me of a slow leak (nail) in a toad tire. We have a 38ftdp and get good signal with no amplifier. In fact I could read the toad tires while my wife was driving it following the mh.

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote