Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #15

Since TPMS sensors screw onto the valve stem, make sure to get high pressure valve stems with a longer metal stem. My standard valve stems didn't have enough metal showing to get the sensors tight enough to prevent leaks. The high pressure stems fixed that problem.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I love my TST system, but I had issues with their flow-through caps, so eventually just went to the non-flow-through and have been thrilled ever since. The trouble that I and others have had with the flow through caps has been discussed here on other threads, and is not only with the TST brand... The flow-through caps attach to the tire valve, depressing that schrader valve so that the pressure can register in the flow through cap, and then be transmitted to the main unit in the cab. Then when you want to fill or remove air, you can attach directly to the flow-through valve, depressing another schrader valve, and in theory the air travels freely in or out of the tire. Trouble is, it doesn't always work, and I had trouble adding air or removing it with that flow-through valve sometimes. In my case, it seemed to depend on precisely how tightly I attached the flow-through caps, but I couldn't quite get all 6 of them just right (I didn't use flow-through on the toad). I also found them to not be as robust in terms of locking in with the main unit and keeping a solid connection. Once I moved over to just using the simpler, non flow-through caps my problems all went away and I've been thrilled with the results. I now use the standard caps on RV and toad and never have issues.

Think about it... if you are using the flow-thru caps, you'll probably put a plastic cap on top of that too, to keep dirt & grit out, right? So you'll be unscrewing a plastic cap whenever you want to adjust your air, right? There is little difference in removing the non-flow through cap versus removing a plastic cap that is installed on top of a flow-through cap. So the way I see it, having the flow through caps doesn't really make it easier to fill or remove air after all. It's added complexity that isn't really necessary.

I have not had other TPMS brands, but I can attest that TST customer service is freakin' awesome. Their warranty is fantastic, and as you can see by the poster above me, Mike monitors this site and he cares very much about his business, his customers, and his reputation. If you buy a TST, Mike will make sure that it works for you and that you are satisfied. (For the record, I have no commercial or personal interest in the business. I don't know Mike personally, except that he helped me troubleshoot my system when I had issues, and he took excellent care of me. As Yoda would say, "the force is strong in him." )

When you do buy one, be sure to get a range booster (or whatever they are called). I installed mine in the passenger-side bay near my dualies there and it provides a rock-solid connetion to all 6 RV tires plus my 4 toad tires. I had previously installed one in my Jeep (toad) and it worked fine too.

As you evaluate brands, be sure to consider battery replacement in the sensors. It is easy to replace the batteries yourself in the TST system, and I do so annually even though they will last longer. I do this only for piece of mind. Some brands require you to send the units back to the manufacturer to replace batteries, and that sounds like a terrible plan to me.

I have been tempted to consider installing the inside-the-rim sensors when it's time to replace my tires, but the battery replacement issue keeps me from getting too excited about that.

Good luck with your decision. You have already made the most important decision--that monitoring your tire pressure is essential.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
IC2

I haven't had the inflation problem that statgeek had with his flow through TST units. The only problem that occurred and was handled very quickly by TST was that one O ring came out and almost flattened a tire when the sender was reinstalled - luckily in my driveway. Other then that, these 'gadgets' have worked as expected and even with no range problems with our 38 foot fiver hooked on the back of a long bed pickup - or probably 35 feet through fiberglass and steel for the furthest sender to monitor screen.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #18

EEZ RV with 10 sensors. 6 on MH, 2 on tow dolly and 2 on Toad with no repeater needed on a 34' motorhome. Saved my butt twice on the same trip.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
When you do buy one, be sure to get a range booster (or whatever they are called). I installed mine in the passenger-side bay near my dualies there and it provides a rock-solid connetion to all 6 RV tires plus my 4 toad tires. I had previously installed one in my Jeep (toad) and it worked fine too.
This is my issue - I don't want to have a repeater. I don't think it should be necessary and think it's a waste of money. In addition, it's another thing to hook up, troubleshoot and break when there are issues.

I've heard good things about the Tire-Safeguard system, and this is the one I'm considering at the moment. In another thread, it was mentioned that a range booster wasn't required. I'd love to hear from anyone that has one to verify or refute this.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
This is my issue - I don't want to have a repeater. I don't think it should be necessary and think it's a waste of money. In addition, it's another thing to hook up, troubleshoot and break when there are issues.

I've heard good things about the Tire-Safeguard system, and this is the one I'm considering at the moment. In another thread, it was mentioned that a range booster wasn't required. I'd love to hear from anyone that has one to verify or refute this.

EEZ RV shouldn't require one at that length if you're 37 feet. I think on there site it recommends one over 40'. EDIT: Over 53' it's recommended.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
EEZ RV shouldn't require one at that length if you're 37 feet. I think on there site it recommends one over 40'. EDIT: Over 53' it's recommended.
Good to know, thanks! I haven't measured my total length w/ toad, but I doubt it's longer than 53'.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:

MonkeyClaw-

You might be referring to my post #2 on this iRV2 thread. I had the Tire-SafeGuard on a 27-foot Class C with a Honda Fit Sport as a toad, without a repeater. My coach was 10 feet shorter than yours. I don't think that extra distance would cause problems, but... Give them a call at (818) 400-9976. Based on my experience, they'll give you the straight skinny.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
MonkeyClaw-

You might be referring to my post #2 on this iRV2 thread. I had the Tire-SafeGuard on a 27-foot Class C with a Honda Fit Sport as a toad, without a repeater. My coach was 10 feet shorter than yours. I don't think that extra distance would cause problems, but... Give them a call at (818) 400-9976. Based on my experience, they'll give you the straight skinny.

Mark
Yes, thanks! I'll give them a call to verify. On a class C, the main unit is also about 8-10 feet closer to the rear of the coach than a class A.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Repeater

Quote:

Good Topic on the Repeater.
Most companies will claim you do not need the repeater when trying to get the sale. Bottom line is it really depends on your set up. If your coach is 37 feet or under and you pull a toad, there is a pretty good chance you will not need one, however it really depends on if the system encounters any interference. I understand not wanting a repeater, but saying it is a waste of money I do not agree with. Look at it this way, your tires are very expensive. If a system saves you 1 time, it has more than paid for itself, with or without the repeater. Here at TST we take customer service very seriously, and if you want to try the system without the repeater, and your reception is good perfect! If you have a reception issue you can simply add the repeater, not a big deal. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at any time at 770-889-9102
Thanks,
Mike Benson
TST
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=MonkeyClaw;2819933]This is my issue - I don't want to have a repeater. I don't think it should be necessary and think it's a waste of money. In addition, it's another thing to hook up, troubleshoot and break when there are issues.[\QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding a little rude - this is one of those situations where IF using the technology is important to you - your feelings on wants, whether or not it's truly necessary, whether it's a waste of money, etc. simply don't count. The laws of physics are strictly enforced. If the distance between the transmitter and the receiver / or the signal path (i.e., the obstacles it must go thru/around - exceed the capabilities of the transmitter/receiver, you need a repeater. Period.

In practical terms, if your situation requires a repeater - you either install one, live with intermittent connectivity - or forego using the technology altogether. It's about that simple.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #26

TPMS recommendation

I got TST with 12 sensors and booster 2 years ago. Totally trouble free. Already owes me nothing!
On repeaters: if under 53' from monitor to farthest sensor, get the booster, be happier, it's only a hundred bucks; chump change over a year!
Lots of TPMS system choices. The point is to get one so you can sleep better. Kinda like having a Watts water pressure device or a PI power monitor/controller.
Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Quote:

I agree with the statement, however I think the TPMS manufacturers have their hands tied because they have to follow FCC rules on transmit power.....plus more transmit power drains the batteries quicker. They can get creative in trying to make their system reject bad signals....however if the signal is just too weak to pick up, only more broadcast power, or a repeater can solve that problem.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
EEZ RV for me too. 40' coach with a toad and no repeater needed although I did get one free with the purchase. Just didn't install it. Trashed the Doran I had that was hard to use and dropped wheels a lot. Had the EEZ for over 2 years. Works great, give pressures when I turn the key on(don't have to drive down the road a couple of miles to get readings like some) and no dropped tires. Replaceable batteries is a big plus. I had to pay Doran $50 for a sensor when the battery died.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote