Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have direct experience to help you determine which make to buy, but... I can share that I have used the Doran 360 w/10 sensors and their repeater for over 4 years now... most of that full timing.

I would not recommend them based on my experience with failed sensors. I've lost count but I think I've had around 12 sensors fail in that time.

When it's working, it works quite well with no false alarms and did alert me to a rapidly leaking tire on the toad. Their customer support is good and they extended the sensor warranty from one to two years. But..... reports I've read here on other products would certainly drive me to find another solution next time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's my understanding that batteries for my 507 system can be purchase locally as well as user replaceable. As mentioned I expect to be able to extend the battery life by taking them off during the off season there by turning them off when they're not under pressure.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Had my TST 507 for over a year and that's one of best improvement I did to the Motorhome. I Have a 38' + an enclosed trailer (20'). I don't need the repeater and never had any false alarm and never lost the signal.

I had a blowout on my trailer (Before installing the system) and didn't notice it before some damage was done.

It's safer and breaking camp is a lot faster since I don't have to manually check the pressure.

A must!
Cayman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #18

I have been using a Tire Traker, or Hawkshead (same system) for about 3 years and 45000 miles and am well satisfied. Easy to use, inexpensive, replaceable batteries and very easy to program and set. It's caught a low tire on the rig and 2 losing air rapidly on the toad before any damage occurred. Couldn't want anything else.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Two thoughts:

First, you'll find all the information you could desire by googling TPMS here on iRV2. We've had the Hawkshead (Tire Tracker) system for 4 years and are pleased. For only $65 add'l we ordered the repeater but used the system without it (before repeater installation) for awhile - worked well.
BATTERIES AT HARBOR FREIGHT FOR 50 CENTS APIECE! (Thanks Dane)

Second, in an effort to "never leave home without them" we've had the MH in the shop tracking an elusive engine problem. Came time for a "gotta go" trip last week so we pulled out the 30' SunnyBrook and installed the TPMS on the pickup & trailer after reprogramming. Left Austin and on I-35 (north bound) just as we were coming to the "lovely" 2 lane bridge going over Temple (no shoulder at all) We got the dreaded signal coming from the right/front trailer tire. Got stopped on the shoulder (not yet to the bridge) and sure enough the tire was going flat - fast. Looked up the road and 3-400 yards ahead was a tire place!!! Tire was to low to proceed so got out the trusty compressor and it outpaced the leak getting the tire to 25 psi. Made it to the tire store and found the tread coming loose from the tire (8" at that time). Another mile at 60 mph and the whole thing would have come apart doing $1-2,000 in damage and creating another monumental traffic jam on I-35 as we would have been on the no shoulder two lane bridge.

Somehow I doubt seriously if "tire thumping" at the beginning of the trip would have helped.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Commercial Member

I have been running an internal "passenger" system since the RV was new in 3/08. Since my Class-C is light weight (based on RVSEF corner weights) I only need 60 psi cold. I am at the high end of the range for the passenger units (occasionally get "high pressure" warning so wanted to switch). After shopping around bought a Tire Tracker while at the Gypsy Journal Rally. Daryl at Tracker, has a list of RVs that need the repeater so could probably answer your question.
I like the replaceable batteries and the unit is easy to install and setup for your RV (about 10 min for my 6 tires).

I also like the "Rapid" pressure loss feature. More than 6 psi loss from current pressure in 2 to 10 min will alarm. While all TPMS warn when the pressure drops below the "set" pressure it is important to know as soon as possible that a puncture or leak has occurred. Say your set pressure is 90 psi. The alarm pressure might be 76. Your hot running pressure might be 105 psi. Wouldn't you like to know as soon as the pressure dropped to 99 in say 3 min rather than have to wait till you were down to 76? This feature is a real plus in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet View Post
Buy yourself a tire thumper at any truck stop,and learn the feel of your tire pressure and save a lot of money. Tmps do work so good. I have a set in the old tool box because of to many false alarms.. If you have a quick lose of pressure you will know before the tmps can send the alarm. Enjoy your thumping.
Sorry just do not agree. I have seen demos where a number of heavy truck drivers tried to guess the inflation on a few tires none got within 20 psi.

RE TPMS concept.
If someone thinks thumping their tires or even checking tires with a gauge in the AM is sufficient I would ask why you have instruments on your dash. Can't you just check the engine temperature and oil pressure after warm up then shut off the gauges for the rest of the day?
How do you know you didn't pick up a drywall screw as you pulled out of the campground?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Do NOT purchase the Doran Pressure Pro TPMS.

The sensors are the main problem. They are very erratic with many Lost Signal alerts. They are temperature sensitive and the chips inside are not dependable.

I will replace my Doran TPMS with a different system once I have evaluated the others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #23

I think this might be on topic,,, I have the go ahead from DW to get a TPMS for the rv,, I've been reading here about them.. One sensor on my 04 Grand Cherokee (factory) says it's bad, (I can still press the button and read it) , anyway, since we don't full time and the rv sits a lot, couldn't I get dual purpose from a system by using it everyday on my jeep, then transfering it back to the rv for a trip ? I figure reprograming (4 tires-6 tires, pressure, etc) is fairly easy ????
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I think this might be on topic,,, I have the go ahead from DW to get a TPMS for the rv,, I've been reading here about them.. One sensor on my 04 Grand Cherokee (factory) says it's bad, (I can still press the button and read it) , anyway, since we don't full time and the rv sits a lot, couldn't I get dual purpose from a system by using it everyday on my jeep, then transfering it back to the rv for a trip ? I figure reprograming (4 tires-6 tires, pressure, etc) is fairly easy ????
You bet... and I don't think you'll even have to do any reprogramming.

Although I don't recommend the Doran unit, it has a "drop and hook" feature which allows you to set it up for say 10 sensors to cover the entire coach (6) and toad (4). Then, if you only want to monitor one vehicle or the other it's a simple matter of pushing two buttons to "drop" one or the other. Then just take the monitor and plug it in to whichever vehicle you want to use it in.

I'm betting that most other manufacturer's units have a similar feature.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all. Especially those with respect to the issues using Doran TPMS. FYI I e-mailed Dan at TST and received a reply from a top associate and Dan himself. This means a lot to DW and I. Wish all vendors that we RV'ers patronize had this rapid response, especially those we shuck out the big bucks to!! Will let you know after speaking with TST and Tire tracker.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You bet... and I don't think you'll even have to do any reprogramming.

Although I don't recommend the Doran unit, it has a "drop and hook" feature which allows you to set it up for say 10 sensors to cover the entire coach (6) and toad (4). Then, if you only want to monitor one vehicle or the other it's a simple matter of pushing two buttons to "drop" one or the other. Then just take the monitor and plug it in to whichever vehicle you want to use it in.

I'm betting that most other manufacturer's units have a similar feature.

Rick
Thanks Rick,,, in this case would it be better to buy 10 sensors (6 for rv, 4 for jeep) and just transfer the receiving unit, or would it be better battery management to transfer the sensors too ? I get from reading here that the sensors are always "on" when tire pressure is present ???
With the present rv, (350 chevy) I don't plan on pulling a toad.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Thanks Rick,,, in this case would it be better to buy 10 sensors (6 for rv, 4 for jeep) and just transfer the receiving unit, or would it be better battery management to transfer the sensors too ? I get from reading here that the sensors are always "on" when tire pressure is present ???
With the present rv, (350 chevy) I don't plan on pulling a toad.
In that case it probably makes a lot more sense to buy only 6 (if that's what the RV takes) and transfer four of them to the Jeep when not using the RV. In that case you will need to do a bit of reprogramming but it's not a big deal.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
In that case it probably makes a lot more sense to buy only 6 (if that's what the RV takes) and transfer four of them to the Jeep when not using the RV. In that case you will need to do a bit of reprogramming but it's not a big deal.

Rick
Thanks again,, my main deciding factor when buying will be user reviews, but I will also consider the fact that the manuf. is a supporter of this very informative site. (along with customer support).
Monkey