Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post

I had a TST system and had exactly the same kind of problems you described w/Doran ...multiple failed /mis-reading sensors to the point we had zero confidence in the system. We even had two toad flats while parked because of sensors coming loose ...I tried everything but Loctite. TST's customer service could not have been better, but I returned the system and eventually replaced it with TireTraker. The only false signals I have had with TireTraker has been occasional leak indicator on a rear dual while refueling after pulling off an extended highway run as "the tire cools quickly." I just watch the reading and know within minutes that there is no leak as the psi reading stays the same. I like TireTraker's smaller and lighter sensors.

I did add the booster to both TST and TT after dropped signals on the toad while underway. My 40' my has a rear closet and I thought perhaps that helped kill the signal. I wired the booster into a bedroom 12v power outlet and stuck it high beside the bed.
Well, thanks for that bit of information on the TST system that you had, AFChap.

That eliminates the TST System for me also. I am looking for 100% reliability while driving. That isn't TOO much to ask for in these days where American engineering and technology are superior to other countries.

My choice ends up to be the Tire Safe Guard system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Dr4Film-- I'm not sure you will ever find "100% reliability" but good luck with your search.

We have had the Doran TPMS for nearly a year and have had zero problems with it so far.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #45
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I have been happy with my Tire Tracker system. It is one of the few that have user replaceable batteries that you can pick up at Walmart. The others yo buy a new sensor or send it back to the manufacturer to replace the battery.

Ken
X2 Very happy.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
. I had a TST system and had exactly the same kind of problems you described w/Doran ...multiple failed /mis-reading sensors to the point we had zero confidence in the system. We even had two toad flats while parked because of sensors coming loose ...I tried everything but Loctite. TST's customer service could not have been better, but I returned the system and eventually replaced it with TireTraker. The only false signals I have had with TireTraker has been occasional leak indicator on a rear dual while refueling after pulling off an extended highway run as "the tire cools quickly." I just watch the reading and know within minutes that there is no leak as the psi reading stays the same. I like TireTraker's smaller and lighter sensors.

I did add the booster to both TST and TT after dropped signals on the toad while underway. My 40' my has a rear closet and I thought perhaps that helped kill the signal. I wired the booster into a bedroom 12v power outlet and stuck it high beside the bed.
Good day Sir,

The issue with your system was simply that you did not install your sensors tightly enough.

Had you done so, you would not have experienced leaks.

We thoroughly tested your returned product, and it is clearly user error.

TST is the exclusive tire pressure monitoring system of Daimler Trucks North America (Which includes Freightliner, Western Star, and Sterling brands).

We are under contract with them, and they, like you, tested multiple brands and ours was victorious. See below:

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/dtna-adds-tpms-aftermarket-offerings

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Bus-Maintenance/News/2012/09/27/New-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-offered-for-Thomas-Built-Buses.aspx

While I am happy to see that you have found a system that you are able to operate, we are the only TPMS provider that actually developed our system with a top 30 trucking company and we are also the ONLY TPMS provider to be in partnership with the largest commercial vehicle manufacturer in the world.

Enjoy your Tire Tracker/Tire Minder System. It is not nearly as durable as ours is, and it lacks commercial trucking acceptance for many reasons.

Travel in Safety.

Dan Covington
Truck System Technologies, Inc
TST Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
The issue with your system was simply that you did not install your sensors tightly enough ... We thoroughly tested your returned product, and it is clearly user error.
Easy to say ... you may recall that we discussed the problem a couple of times over the phone. These were very short rubber valve stems on my Honda. I was putting them on tight enough to feel/visibly see the valve stems torque, and you agreed that should be plenty tight. I also tried using teflon tape with no success. If I failed to check and re-tighten the sensors after a road trip, I would have a flat tire a day or two later while sitting. I bought 10 sensors, had the system on for 8 months, and had 11 failed sensors. Eight were replaced, and three more were giving false low readings when I removed the system and gave up. Those last three occured after removing the sensors to add air when the weather went from hot to cold ...when I put them back on, they gave false low readings.

It is great if some folks get good service from your system. As I said, your customer service was great, but the system just didn't work for me. And the TireTraker system that I have installed and used in exactly the same way has given me no problems. ....I can only speak from my experience...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the TST TPMS on my truck and trailer and am pleased with it. I have had it over a year with no problems. The model I have does not have the replaceable batteries.

Larry

Arctic Fox 30U
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought the Tire Tracker TPMS because of its good rating but i have to say that the pressure reading that we get on the dashboard monitor, or if we hold it in our hand and walk around the MH with it to check the readings, differs from the reading on the gauge used to fill it with air using the Viar compressor. So I bought yet another gauge to see if the readings will be the same or close. This time i bought the AccuTire Truckers Digital Gauge. I guess what I'm saying is I just want the sensor reading on the TPMS to give me the same reading as my handheld gauge. The folks at Tire Tracker assure us in their owners manual that the sensors are highly calibrated. I'm not sure then which is the proper reading, the sensors or the tire gauge, as they always differ!!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
We bought the Tire Tracker TPMS because of its good rating but i have to say that the pressure reading that we get on the dashboard monitor, or if we hold it in our hand and walk around the MH with it to check the readings, differs from the reading on the gauge used to fill it with air using the Viar compressor. So I bought yet another gauge to see if the readings will be the same or close. This time i bought the AccuTire Truckers Digital Gauge. I guess what I'm saying is I just want the sensor reading on the TPMS to give me the same reading as my handheld gauge. The folks at Tire Tracker assure us in their owners manual that the sensors are highly calibrated. I'm not sure then which is the proper reading, the sensors or the tire gauge, as they always differ!!

With any TPMS, it is not necessary to have the PSI's read exactly the same as your calibrated tire gauge. Most if not all will most likely not give you the same readings as your gauge. However, the TPMS does have to notify you of any RELATIVE changes from those PSI's that you have inflated the tires to while using your CTG and the alarm thresholds that have been put into the TPMS.

Therefore it is important to HAVE a Calibrated Tire Pressure Gauge. I would assume that the digital one coming from Accutire is or was most likely accurate at one time. It all depends on how much the gauge has been knocked around during travel. To calibrate your tire gauge, take it to any reputable truck tire center and have them compare your gauge to their professionally calibrated gauge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #51

Take a look at the EEz Tire TPMS system. It uses the same sensors as the TST and the monitor unit looks nearly identical. It is a lot less expensive. I think that's the way I am going.
TIRE PRESSURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (TPMS)
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
With any TPMS, it is not necessary to have the PSI's read exactly the same as your calibrated tire gauge. Most if not all will most likely not give you the same readings as your gauge. However, the TPMS does have to notify you of any RELATIVE changes from those PSI's that you have inflated the tires to while using your CTG and the alarm thresholds that have been put into the TPMS.

Therefore it is important to HAVE a Calibrated Tire Pressure Gauge. I would assume that the digital one coming from Accutire is or was most likely accurate at one time. It all depends on how much the gauge has been knocked around during travel. To calibrate your tire gauge, take it to any reputable truck tire center and have them compare your gauge to their professionally calibrated gauge.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
That's a good idea taking it to a reputable truck tire center and comparing their gauges to mine.I think I'll do that. I swear, I have at least four gauges and each of them varies from one to the other. Being alerted to any sudden changes was/is the main reason why I purchased the TPMS in the first place.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #53
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have the TireTracker system with 10 sensors and the repeater installed in the BR closet. After a lot of research I chose this one because:

1. Least expensive one with the features below that I wanted. I paid $478 for the system with 10 sensors and the repeater.

2. User replacable batteries available at Wal-Mart.

3. Easy to program.

4. Excellent distributor support!

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use this Tire-SafeGuard and am very happy. No repeater needed and I like the flow thru sensors. Tech support has been great also. I have no experience with any other systems and they may be as good or better.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #55
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post

I have the same problem with my TireTraker system. The manual that came with it says the accuracy is plus or minus 2 lbs. I talked to the distributor and they say the accuracy is 4%. As long as everything else is OK I'm not going to worry about it. I have an accurate truck pressure gauge that I use to check the tires. After I set the pressure using the gauge, I then check the reading for each tire on the TireTraker and write down what it says. I then set the baseline pressure on the TireTraker the same as the pressure it indicates, so I get the correct warnings from that point. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #56

My 2 cents

After reading and reading then reading some more, then playing with a Pressure Pro, I finally made a decision. I was down to 2 companies: Pressure Pro and TST.

Our neighbor let me play with his old Pressure Pro TPMS, it was 7 years old and some sensors no longer worked. But it did me a chance to try one out.

Monitor size was OK, very flat and wide and would fit well on my Dutch Star dash. Programing was simple and took no time at all. It would have needed a repeater for our coach. I even tried rotating sensors to eliminate a sensor problem.

Display was very easy to read from any angle, or distance.

What I didn't like: You have to scroll through to read the tire pressure, didn't auto scroll. No temperature readout. It monitored the temp just didn't display it. I prefer to have all information available and I'll decide what is relevant to me.

For what it was going to cost to replace existing sensors, plus add sensors and repeater for our coach and toad, it was the same as buying a TST.

So that's what I did.

Got the 507 with 8 flow through and 4 standard caps, plus repeater. I ordered before we left St. Louis to head home for a week, knowing I'd be able to hook it all up before the return trip.

UPS decided it was so cool they would keep it a every stop between Atlanta Ga and Rapid City SD for a full 24 hours. So I didn't get it till Thursday afternoon, needing to leave Friday morning.

Repeater back ordered . then whatever.

Install: Even easier then Pressure Pro, did think that was possible.

Monitor size: While thicker then PP it was much narrower. Still fitting the DS dash just fine.

Readability: Not as good as PP. PP used glowing red display, TST is like a digital watch. Fine head on and within a couple of feet, no good at sharp angle. Like below eye level on dash. It is back lit, so easy to read in the dark.

Because I didn't have a repeater it needed to ride on the counter in the kitchen to keep from loosing sensors. Made for a good chance to try the built in battery. It was good for 10 days straight before needing recharged.

While on the road I watched it scroll through the tires while I ate breakfast. No muss no fuss, no problem.

While back in St. Louis I took the monitor a long in the Jeep with me. Every night the sensor on the right rear of the Jeep would set off the low pressure alarm. Every morning I would have to add air, sensor and gauge read the same. It was a slow leak 10 psi over 24 hours, the type that drives you nuts. Turns out there was a nail buried in one of the tread blocks. Tire patched life is good.

Once I got the repeater I finally got everything hard mounted in. Here's how it looks.

Monitor wiring (came with plug in or hard wire) got hooked up to the unused passenger power shade wiring in the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0574 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	112
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	29228

I took apart their table mount and stole the medal bracket, added 2 sided tape and attached it to the top of the back up monitor.

Name:	DSCF0575 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	124
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	29229

Looking at different locations for the repeater, I settled on right outside of the fan control in the rear bathroom. No drilling to get to wiring.

Name:	DSCF0576 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	123
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	29230

Wired the repeater into the fans main power supply by opening the connecters and placing the end of repeater harness along side fan wires. You can see how fine the repeater harness is.

Name:	DSCF0578 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	106
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	29231