Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Trade in values.

I am thinking of trading in our 2008 Forest River Lexington in on a new ACE 27.1. The new unit seems to have everything we want or need that we didn't know we wanted or needed when we purchased the Lex 2 years ago. My questions. Is dealing similar to car shopping? I have dealt with many car sales and I found that Kelly Bluebook or NADA are never close to what they actually offer. Is it the same for RV's? The book says 40,000 and they offered 36,000. We were very truthful in the description as the Lex is not perfect and when I did the KBB, I rated it the same. Is this common? The ACE is already being discounted $35,000 so I can't imagine the dealer having much room to play. When car dealers sell a cheapie car, they don't have the wiggle room like buying a Cadillac. Is this similar in the rv industry. The reason we may not pull the trigger is we are upside down by $4000. The dealer is willing to wrap it up in the new loan (of course). As the ACE is new, we could wait for the year one or 2 depreciation (I know ours will depreciate as well) but proportionately the dealer will probably not give us as much for ours for a used unit. My wife says you only live once (she is our money person so she knows if we can or can't). I'm the worrier. We are losing more than the depreciation (We paid 48,000 but with tax and extended service (which we will get some back, I'm not expecting much). And some other non transferable stuff. We take a pretty bit hit. But if we wait I know the depreciation on ours will bottom out and we will be even farther apart. Am I over thinking this or... Any input would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

Your wife's thought regarding "you only live once" is a good one. Sometimes you need to place a higher value on the "want" factor - despite what logic tells you?

That said, I don't place much value on anything that comes form a salesman's mouth. Dealers as a whole even less. That's me though....

Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it is similar to car deals, only the trade-in values are even lower in terms of percentage of retail.

When trading for a new RV, what you get is basically wholesale plus an increment that represents a cash discount on the price of the new one, which is intended to make you feel good about the trade value. However, you could have got the discount off retail in any case, so it's just smoke.

The best advice I can give is to bargain hard and shop around multiple dealers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As you know the dealers want to make as much as they can[moderator edit], they have to pay employee's, support a large bldg. , etc. Selling your unit outright is the best way to come close to the N.A.D.A. book. The dealer is going to go with the low retail so there is room for them to make money. Cash has always been KING when buying anything especially when no trade is involved. Trading just gets the job done quick but most of the time you end up paying for the job(the time and fustration of selling your unit)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

When a dealer makes an offer, I consider it the starting point. They have more room in the deal than you think. And a discount from MSRP is truly smoke.
It is all about YOUR money.
Be brutal

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When a dealer makes an offer, I consider it the starting point. They have more room in the deal than you think. And a discount from MSRP is truly smoke.
It is all about YOUR money.
Be brutal
I was told they can lower the price up to 25% of the asking price, of course when there is no trade in ..... Wen I purchase my new 5ers Last fall I told the salesman that had a TT to trade after the price was set, I did get a good price for my trade in because I told him that I would wait until I sell my TT before buying the 5 ers.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
I was told they can lower the price up to 25% of the asking price, of course when there is no trade in ..... Wen I purchase my new 5ers Last fall I told the salesman that had a TT to trade after the price was set,
Yes, and did they give you what you wanted or the average book value for your equipment at that point?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Yes, and did they give you what you wanted or the average book value for your equipment at that point?
It was hard for them to give me a bad price for the TT since I had purchase it there a few month earlier
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #9

Just a couple of questions:
1. Do you really need to upgrade or can you live with what you have for a couple more years?
2. Are you in that much of a hurry that you can't take a month or so to sell the unit yourself?

The reason I ask is that you are upside down now at least $4000 and more. Is that worth buying another and being further upside down. They will wrap and you will pay thousands more in the long run. If you do want to upgrade then sell your current unit yourself and pocket the extra. Then go and deal with the unit you want. The problem is you still might be upside down in your loan with selling on your own. If you do choose to upgrade why not sell your current unit on your own and go buy a unit that is 1 or 2 years older with all the options you want and save the depreciation.

JMHO
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #10

I personally would upgrade what I already have.....unless there is some overwhelming issue with it.....half the enjoyment of RVing is making the unit "yours". But thats just how I feel.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #11

I guess I look at it slightly different. 4k doesn't seem like that much to be worried about in the grand scheme of things. Money is money, but if the lady handling the books says you can handle it then go with it. I would rather take a 4k hit and be happy in my new rig for years to come, than regret and want for years. Never know what the future holds...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Gary said above you are going to get close to wholesale for your trade. They may play with the numbers to make you feel better but that's still what you are getting. The last time I checked wholesale was about 20 percent below the NADA low retail value.

Also regarding trading in an RV you are upside down on - last year that wasn't happening in most cases. Has that changed?
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
As Gary said above you are going to get close to wholesale for your trade. They may play with the numbers to make you feel better but that's still what you are getting. The last time I checked wholesale was about 20 percent below the NADA low retail value.

Also regarding trading in an RV you are upside down on - last year that wasn't happening in most cases. Has that changed?
What I am seeing is that there is a glut of new "entry" C's on the market that are in the mid 40's to begin with so that may have brought the value down.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to remember that it is your money and the dealers goal is to get as much of your money as he can. Check NADA Guides for some guidance.

Ken