Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBOY View Post
I got one in Tampa,Fl last year and finally paid it but was told that if the ticket came usps that I should have destroyed it. They have no proof that I recieved it. It was 150.00 also.
True. If it came via a process server (for example) then there's proof.

Also we have the right to face our accuser.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
SPEEDERS, YOU ARE ALL SPEEDERS trying to run red lights. Shame, shame, shame on you.

Hey, just kidding, but you do know who you are, hee hee!.

There are two types of red light runners. Those who have been caught, and those who are going to get caught. Right now I'm in the latter category.

Happy trails.

Remember, first sentence is a tongue in cheek "to be funny" sentence. (second one also.)

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Our family was attending a wedding in Phoenix a year or so ago. My daughter got caught in a Red light cam. The ticket was sent to our house because her US license is from our address but she lives in Byron Bay, NSW Australia. The info on the ticket indicated the length of time the yellow was on, I did a little sleuthing and found it was too short for the speed limit as per Arizona DOT. I also found out that all traffic tickets in Arizona have to be served in person by an officer of the court. Instead of trying to argue the ticket, (only allowed in person, not by mail) I suggested my daughter and her husband should wait until a deputy shows up on their doorstep with a summons. They're still waiting.
Well done.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
[I]
Bob,
If your daughter ever comes to visit, and gets stopped for anything, they may have a warrant out for her.
Mike, (Dunner) my daughter returns to the states a couple of times a year. She usually visits OH, NY, CO, UT and points in between. In AZ, she'll just be careful to obey all laws. BTW, her 'violation' happened at a busy intersection that was restricted by construction, she waited through 3-4 light changes and finally just followed the car in front of her that was already waiting to turn left beyond the white line in the intersection. She automatically paid $50 to a company that makes it's money matching citations to rental cars. (Buried in those agreements you sign at the rental counter is a section that authorizes the rental agency to take that $50 from your credit card) The ticket, nope, like I suggested, she's waiting for a deputy to come to her in Australia.

Here in Cincinnati we had a municipality making MILLIONS on speed cameras in their little burg. A judge has suspended all those tickets and forced refunding the proceeds.
I wouldn't mind if the cameras were actually used for safety, but doing it as an outright revenue enhancement and profit for a private business is just wrong in my book.

By the way, it's no different in Australia. Speed cameras almost always seem located just as the limit is reduced.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #33

In 2009, I got 2 traffic light tickets from incidents that happened in Gurnee, Il., maybe 15 mins apart. I really couldn't remember the events when I received the tickets in the mail, but I don't make a habit of running red lights. I looked into how to fight them and found it was a really hard thing to do, especially if you are not a resident of the city.

So, what I found out is this, in Illinois, the city has a pretty hard time coming after you for not paying the tickets, and they have little recourse for collecting the money on these tickets. At that time, (I do not know if it has changed), a City could go to the State, to withhold license and registration in order to force payment. But, only after 5 red light tickets!

Since I had only 2 of the tickets, and knowing I was going to leave the state to FT, I just didn't pay the tickets and have never heard from or about them again.

Easy Peasy!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
You will most likely get a video link where you can see your vehicle and the light sequence. Verify that it did not go to yellow.

I bet you will see the yellow on the video

There is a formula, which escapes me now, that applies here in terms of speed limit and yellow light duration.

Internet search it, you might have a case

Good luck
Do the states that give a red ticket if any part of your vehicle is in an intersession when it turns red have a formula that takes into account the length of the vehicle in the calculation?

I have made it a requirement that I wait about 1 second before taking off on a fresh green in my direction. I started doing that after a truck blew thru an intersection one night. Would have been T-boned.

Glendale, AZ has a policy of lowering the speed limit on identical street. If you are allowed 45 in Phx, and it turns into Glendale, the limit changes to 40. They also tried to write tickets for 1 mph over. That didn't fly.

Yes, there a are crooked states out there. My MH got flashed by a speed one on one trip home, but I never got anything in the mail. It too was in a construction zone. AZ has since done away with the speed cameras on highways.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well from a firefighter/NREMT perspective, we or most of us are taught to be prepared for the light to change. If you are coming up to an intersection you should be ready to stop by slowing down. What if an emergency vehicle where busting through the intersection as you ran the light?

Everyone expectually those with big rigs and trailers should be driving @ a safe speed that they can make un-planned stops or lane changes.

There is no excuse for running a light or complaining about the time it takes to change to red. We are on vacation and enjoying our time with our families. Take your time to get there safely...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #36

Lots of controversy in our area about the red light cameras. There are those who say it's a money maker only, and those who say it saves lives. I don't know which it is, but if you're legitimately caught, then you owe the money. Our walk lights now show the number of seconds counting down before the light will turn red. This is a huge help to be able to time when the green light you're approaching will be turning red.

What I do resent are the tickets given when one attempts to turn right on red. You are supposed to completely stop behind the white line. Then you should advance forward to the right turn to check for oncoming traffic. The white line is too far back to be able to safely see to your left and determine if any cars are coming. Usually you have to stop again as cars or bushes can be in the way. If you completely stop at this point without first stopping behind the white line, you will be ticketed. I think this is splitting hairs and makes me think it IS about the money.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
In AZ, right turns on red are legal; not so in other states.
WA is the same. Although here you have to stop, then, if traffic is clear you can turn right. Even some left turns on red are legal but it depends on the lanes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Well from a firefighter/NREMT perspective, we or most of us are taught to be prepared for the light to change. If you are coming up to an intersection you should be ready to stop by slowing down. What if an emergency vehicle where busting through the intersection as you ran the light?

Everyone expectually those with big rigs and trailers should be driving @ a safe speed that they can make un-planned stops or lane changes.

There is no excuse for running a light or complaining about the time it takes to change to red. We are on vacation and enjoying our time with our families. Take your time to get there safely...

First off an emergency vehicle shouldn't be "busting through" an intersection. I ran EMS for 22 years and I never "busted" any intersection. I always approached intersections (with lights and siren going) with extreme caution, slowing down and even stopping if necessary. You can only drive so fast through traffic and allow the medics in the back to work on their patient.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
You are correct cb and after I posted it I knew it would bring some back lash. However, if the light is green many do not slow down but continue doing the posted speed limit.

I never bust an intersection but I will buck traffic. Same thing though no matter how you slice it. LoL...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post

What I do resent are the tickets given when one attempts to turn right on red. You are supposed to completely stop behind the white line. Then you should advance forward to the right turn to check for oncoming traffic. The white line is too far back to be able to safely see to your left and determine if any cars are coming. Usually you have to stop again as cars or bushes can be in the way. If you completely stop at this point without first stopping behind the white line, you will be ticketed. I think this is splitting hairs and makes me think it IS about the money.
I agree. The only 2 tickets I have ever gotten are for turning on red and both involved my front tire past the white line so I could see oncoming traffic. The first one (in CA) must have been a huge moneymaker coz there was no way you could safely see traffic on that corner without driving forward. I contested it, was denied, and did not have the time to go through a longer trail so ended up paying The second was just recently in Phoenix. I really feel both were pure moneymaking scams.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #41

All this talk of red light cameras and speed cameras makes me laugh...
You should try driving in England. Cameras are EVERYWHERE.
I have driven through areas with 10+ cameras in a 1 mile stretch.
The latest development (well, it's been around for several years but is getting more prevalent) are 'average speed' cameras. These will take a picture at each camera and calculate your speed in between. So no slowing down for the camera and speeding up again
All of these schemes are touted as 'safety measures' but are ultimately huge revenue earners.
For the ultimate revenue earner: London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
All this talk of red light cameras and speed cameras makes me laugh...
You should try driving in England. Cameras are EVERYWHERE.
I have driven through areas with 10+ cameras in a 1 mile stretch.
The latest development (well, it's been around for several years but is getting more prevalent) are 'average speed' cameras. These will take a picture at each camera and calculate your speed in between. So no slowing down for the camera and speeding up again
All of these schemes are touted as 'safety measures' but are ultimately huge revenue earners.
For the ultimate revenue earner: London congestion charge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My sister lives in UK and car travels extensively for work, so I've heard her talk about this exact thing. Few places have more cameras than England. It's pretty nutty! Then again, in the UK I believe they're required to disclose where all the camera traps are...you can download camera maps and POIs for your GPS so you know exactly where they are. My sis has some kind of warning thing on her GPS that tells her when she's approaching a trap.

Haven't seen that in the US, but maybe I'm missing something? Seems there's a lot more "hidden" traps out this side of the big pond.