Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

in some places you can actually be ticketed for going the speed limit and thereby causing an "obstruction" to the general flow of traffic! )

Kathryn

~~~
OK you had me until this. So am I suppose to stop for a red light.... from what you say we can not drive the speed limit... how do I know after that what laws I am suppose to abide.

(I do not not approve of running red lights. And should I get a violation for running a red light, the dash can footage will go with me to a lawyer should the yellow be to short. The want of (reason for short light) does not trump physics. A certain amount of time is required to stop a vehicle.)

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersect...ps022509/long/
Check slide 27. Lengthen yellow reduction in fatalities.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Where they exist, low-speed related "obstructing the flow of traffic" laws are for highway travel- certainly not inside city limits with their numerous traffic lights etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
If you had family or friends who have been hurt or killed by red light runners or have had close calls due to people's inattention or disregard for red lights at intersections you might understand my strong feelings on the issue.
I completely agree! Here in Vancouver (WA), many of the walk/don't-walk signs count down the seconds until yellow. So, there are NO excuses! The three second delay? I'm all for that, too. And really?!? You're in a hurry - in a motor home? A big, long, slow to start, slow to stop, motor home?!? Slow down and maybe save someone's life!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #74

Sometimes I do wonder what is the worst. Stop on a yellow light or get thru.
As far as I am concerned, to have a short yellow light is certainly not a plus for security.....
Old 05-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Where they exist, low-speed related "obstructing the flow of traffic" laws are for highway travel- certainly not inside city limits with their numerous traffic lights etc.
But her statement was for Going the limit. Not the greater than 10 mph below that can get the 'obstructing' just about anywhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #76

We encountered a very short yellow on US 13 in Delaware the day after Christmas last year. The weather was stormy and it was sleeting when the light went from green to yellow and before I could hit the brakes it was red. I know the camera flashed but not sure what it could see with the bad weather. Obviously I wasn't speeding in that kind of weather, I was below 35MPH when it happened, I was driving a motorhome and towing a car. Maybe it was just a defective light and then again maybe not. Never heard from the State of Delaware.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #77

So let me get this right..... While driving the speed limit and approaching a green light I'm supposed to slow down through every green light intersection?

This is crazy. On a road with 20 cars following the breaking backlash through the line of cars will do nothing but cause flow interruptions. The safe way is to go with the flow.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
I completely agree! Here in Vancouver (WA), many of the walk/don't-walk signs count down the seconds until yellow. So, there are NO excuses! The three second delay? I'm all for that, too. And really?!? You're in a hurry - in a motor home? A big, long, slow to start, slow to stop, motor home?!? Slow down and maybe save someone's life!
I'm really sorry if you have family or friends that have lost their lives or injured in one of those intersection accidents. Especially when someone deliberately runs a red light.

Just make sure you read all the facts I supplied. Their camera data says I was going 37 mph in a 45 mph zone. Would you call that speeding? I'm trying to let more people know that this is a business/revenue generator for ailing city budgets, not a safety program. The yellow light timing was shortened deliberately and with intention. The studies show an additional 3 seconds on a red light is safer and does not leave the suspicion of a "scheme" (as the media has labeled it). I just don't see myself in the same category as those that willfully break the law and put the public safety at risk.

Dave
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #79

We have camaras in our town, when they were 1st put in there were a lot of tickets issued now some 4 years later they dont pay for themselves. They do work. Ours are managed out of state but a city police officer has to review it before a ticket is issued which does not go against a license because the camaras cant take people photos and only of the car and plate. No worries about a warent being issued but then you wont be able to renew your tabs until its paid. My tabs cost enough I stopfor the lights.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #80

Remember people, if there is a white line at the traffic light, you must STOP BEFORE IT, otherwise you are in the intersection and PASSED THE POINT to stop.

If you have to stop again to make sure it's clear, so be it

Law it pretty easy to interpret
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
For 4-way stops, I recommend the Seattle method:

4-Way Stop, You Go. No You Go. No You Go. Guy - YouTube
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #82

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3Here View Post
Remember people, if there is a white line at the traffic light, you must STOP BEFORE IT, otherwise you are in the intersection and PASSED THE POINT to stop.

If you have to stop again to make sure it's clear, so be it

Law it pretty easy to interpret
And what about a 'quick yellow' that causes you to stop with vehicle front across white line? Camera triggers? Ticket issued? I still don't think a camera tells the whole story in every case. I certainly don't believe in running red lights, but RLC seem more for revenue than safety.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #83

I think when I was in High school in the 60s, AZ had a law, where if the light turned red while you were in the intersection, you got a ticket. All it did was encourage people to floor it when the light turned yellow. Doesn't sound very safe to me.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #84

I believe in Los Angeles city, red light cameras were found to be illegal. I do not know of what statute, but shortly after LA pulled their cameras, my city of Lancaster CA pulled all of theirs.