Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

"A red light violation occurs when a vehicle crosses the legal violation point and proceeds through the intersection after the traffic light has turned red. It is not a violation if the vehicle has entered the intersection prior to the signal turning red."

"In Arizona the point of violation is defined as the “Prolongation” of the Curb Line. Simply stated this is a line from the curb face on one side of the street to the curb face on the opposite side of the street. If a vehicle crosses this point after the traffic control light has turned red, they are in violation of running the red light."

https://www.violationinfo.com/AZMES/html/info.htm

I believe that in some states, if you are in the intersection when it turns red, you get a ticket. In AZ, right turns on red are legal; not so in other states.

Bob,
If your daughter ever comes to visit, and gets stopped for anything, they may have a warrant out for her.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
There was a story on the radio in Atlanta several months ago about red light cameras. According to this reporter, the intersections with red light cameras had more rear end collisions. According to them people were slamming on brakes and getting rear ended. If you think this is about safety and not money, I have a bridge to sell you.
If the vehicle in front had enough time to hit the brakes and stop, like they should when the light turns yellow, and a vehicle behind them hits them, I think it's fair to say that the vehicle behind was either traveling too fast or following too close. To me, that's not something to blame on the presence of the camera and more something to blame on a driver's lackadaisical attitude and/or inattentiveness to the color of the lights at the intersection in front of him and maintaining proper distance behind the vehicle in front of them.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Come on out to San Diego and get a red light ticket from a camera, cost you $500. So $150 doesn't seem so bad to me.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
When you are behind a semi or tall rig, it is hard to see the traffic light they are blocking. if they slam on the breaks, I in my little short car must really be paying close attention and not be hoping the light stays green long enough for me to get through too.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was really surprised to see all these responses to the RLC ticket. So, I did some internet research and found an article (not sure of it's accuracy) that sheds some light on what most of you have been saying. Here is the article and part of what it says:

Florida Decreases Yellow Traffic Light Intervals at Red Light Camera Intersections - Ring Of Fire Radio: Robert Kennedy Jr, Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder

"There’s also one oddity when considering penalties for not paying a red light camera ticket. There really are none. The SunSentinel reported that ATS has a process delay with their tickets.

Ultimately, this means that even if a driver gets an RLC ticket, they don’t have to pay it because “Florida law says both a traffic ticket, and a second ticket that will go out if the first is not paid, have to be processed within 60 days of a traffic violation. If both tickets aren’t processed, the initial fine is still sent. But it can never be enforced.” It could also mean Florida cities lose money. Also, if it can’t be enforced, drivers can’t get penalized with points on their license, which won’t affect their insurance rates. Not to mention, the city, county, or state will not earn any revenue from red light runners. However, without this knowledge, people still pay."

I'm going to make a call Monday to a lawyer that practices law in FL to verify this before taking this advice. It's the principle of it not the $158.

Dave
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #20

You will most likely get a video link where you can see your vehicle and the light sequence. Verify that it did not go to yellow.

I bet you will see the yellow on the video

There is a formula, which escapes me now, that applies here in terms of speed limit and yellow light duration.

Internet search it, you might have a case

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Can you believe it!! I got a ticket in the mail today from the City of Palm Coast, FL running a red light. I remember it vividly. They even sent the pictures of me before going thru the intersection and after going thru it. Guilty, no doubt. Not sure if I looked away or wasn't paying attention, or the dang thing went to red without the yellow. One thing for sure, I was not going to slam on the brakes and create more problems than running a red traffic light. BTW, there were no other vehicles sitting at the opposing angles that would have created a real danger. Otherwise, I would have assumed someone would have come out of the side street and broadsided me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem of the traffic light changing so fast that you cannot stop safely?

Dave
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #21

I got one.
I was guilty. My bad.
I paid it. Want to go back to that State.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I make a conscious choice to stop at red lights. This keeps me and my wallet safe.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Different Approach or Bad Luck

Mine is a different approach. I have the worst luck with lights. If there is one, it will turn red on me at least 80% of the time.

So I just take that into account and begin slowing down because I know it will turn red. That combined with liberal use of [moderator edit] expletives, then stop, fume because nothing is coming from the side roads or because it switched automatically for one car and stopped 25 cars, wait some more, and then go to the next light.

Put a traffic signal in place, and I will come and make sure the red works
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #24

You got off cheap. No one likes to have to pay traffic tickets but as a rider of motorcycles there are few things more harrowing than some knucklehead who runs a read light and almost kills you. I've had way too many close calls due to inattentive or careless drivers. Intentional or not, if you run through a red light you are putting someone's life at risk. I don't care if some people think they are to generate revenue. The fact is if you get caught by the camera you did violate the law and deserved the ticket.

Amazing that after admitting to the offense you want to call a lawyer to try and avoid paying the fine. So much for integrity and personal responsibility. Some people just can't seem to "man up" and take responsibility for their actions. When someone says "It's not the money, it's the principal...." you can be sure it's the money

The red light cameras here in Tucson have reduced the number of accidents at intersections where they are installed dramatically.

Speed cameras are another issue but I wish every intersection had the red light cameras.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #25

Yep. The mindset needs to be changed as many approch an intersection controlled by a traffic signal light. Unfortunately, many driving today were taught by idiot parents who gunned their car approaching a green light that just changed to yellow.

I wish they would put cameras and registration plate readers on overpasses to see the idiots texting while they drive. Slap 'em with a 1000 dollar fine, to start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
You got off cheap. No one likes to have to pay traffic tickets but as a rider of motorcycles there are few things more harrowing than some knucklehead who runs a read light and almost kills you. I've had way too many close calls due to inattentive or careless drivers. Intentional or not, if you run through a red light you are putting someone's life at risk. I don't care if some people think they are to generate revenue. The fact is if you get caught by the camera you did violate the law and deserved the ticket.

The red light cameras here in Tucson have reduced the number of accidents at intersections where they are installed dramatically.

Speed cameras are another issue but I wish every intersection had the red light cameras.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #26

It's up to the driver to not be so close to a large vehicle, to not see a traffic signal light ahead of that large vehicle, and risk going through a light that just changed. Back off a bit and see the scenery, not the the rear of a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
When you are behind a semi or tall rig, it is hard to see the traffic light they are blocking. if they slam on the breaks, I in my little short car must really be paying close attention and not be hoping the light stays green long enough for me to get through too.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #27

I too got a ticket for speeding in Suprise Arizona. They had the speed camera set up after a signal and I sped up to get thru the changing light. It got me for a 56 in a 45. I hate to say it but your money ahead to not try and make it and come to a stop in the intersection, then move out of the way of the opposing traffic. They have a person who reviews each ticket I'm told to verify the plate is readable and the person driving can be identified. A lot of cities are hurting for money and are turning to this to generate money. The town I live in had them installed and used them for awhile and discovered the contractor was charging them more than they were bringing in so they quit using them.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #28

When I was instructing drivers training in the military, one thing that I stressed was to watch the 'walk light'. There are many different ones out there, but if they are 'stale' (been on too long) then one needs to slow down and prep to stop. As a general rule of thumb, as long as the walk light was green/white, the traffic light was not going to change right away. One the walk light started 'flashing' or turned red, you should prepping to stop.
There are ways to keeping an eye out for stop light changes, but not all areas are the same. As drivers, as a whole and driving larger/heavier vehicles, we need to really pay attention to what is going on around us.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote