Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #43

Get rid of your front license plate. the rear is harder to spot if your towing. Don't need plate on tow car until you unhook. put a CAR IN TOW sign over it. HA
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides covering license plate (Mythbusters proved that most every tinted cover or device to hide plate still made it visible to the camera) the other option is to stop at all red lights. If there's a camera, I won't turn right after stop because I'm not sure the camera would know that. To the honking horns behind me, I wave widely and smile big. They think I'm nuts but at least they leave me alone.

The camera that got my daughter only snapped photos after she was in the intersection, it didn't show that she'd waited 3-4 cycles of the light due to construction and heavy traffic and had just closely followed a car in the intersection that had advanced on green and was waiting for a break in the opposing traffic flow. I don't know how a camera can make a call in that kind of situation, but I wasn't going to Phoenix from Ohio and my daughter sure wasn't coming from AU to argue the case. Still waiting for the court official to come to her home in Byron Bay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #45

Several years ago, I had a rather nasty personal experience when T boned by a driver who swore "the light turned yellow just as he entered the intersection" and he "had trouble seeing the light because there was a truck in front of him". I always assume traffic lights will turn yellow as I approach and try to always be prepared to stop. I have been nearly rear ended several times, and screamed at and threatened by following drivers, some two or three vehicles behind me! They get even more frustrated when I wait for a three count to ensure the intersection is clear before starting when the light turns green. IMO, if cameras reduce red light running I am in favor.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #46

If you spray it with clear with the reflecting crystals in it it comes out pure white on the photo due to the flash.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #47

Carolina Campers
Be careful when in AZ and you look like you are from Australia, they will put you in one of those concentration camps for all them foreigners.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
My sister lives in UK and car travels extensively for work, so I've heard her talk about this exact thing. Few places have more cameras than England. It's pretty nutty! Then again, in the UK I believe they're required to disclose where all the camera traps are...you can download camera maps and POIs for your GPS so you know exactly where they are. My sis has some kind of warning thing on her GPS that tells her when she's approaching a trap.

Haven't seen that in the US, but maybe I'm missing something? Seems there's a lot more "hidden" traps out this side of the big pond.
I have Red Light & Speed Camera POIs loaded on my RVND iPad app (also works on the RVND and Garmin stand alone units). You can customize the alert distance on the RVND units, but I'm not sure about the Garmin. It's available here with a $5.00 donation if not already a member: Red Light & Speed Cameras | POI Factory
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Be careful when in AZ and you look like you are from Australia, they will put you in one of those concentration camps for all them foreigners.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have Red Light & Speed Camera POIs loaded on my RVND iPad app (also works on the RVND and Garmin stand alone units). You can customize the alert distance on the RVND units, but I'm not sure about the Garmin. It's available here with a $5.00 donation if not already a member: Red Light & Speed Cameras | POI Factory
Oh cheers! I will check that out! Is it a requirement in the US for all trap locations to be disclosed? Just curious since I wonder how comprehensive that POI is?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Oh cheers! I will check that out! Is it a requirement in the US for all trap locations to be disclosed? Just curious since I wonder how comprehensive that POI is?
I don't believe there is any disclosure requirement as they are continually updating the POI database. It was started in 2006 and last updated a few days ago. They currently show 4,256 red light cameras and 863 speed cameras locations.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
There have been some nice responses here, especially the recommendation to look for the walk/don't walk indicators that the light is going to change.

After researching I changed my mind about paying the fine. Yes, I was prepared to "man up" because the video clearly shows the MH and toad entering and exiting the intersection while the light is red.

However, before some of you that jumped to condemning conclusions here are some facts to consider that you did not know:

The video shows I was going 37 mph in a 45 zone. So, speeding is not the problem.

As far back as 2011 a Tampa TV investigative story aired showing that the federal government issues yellow light minimums and that many cities deliberately lowered those minimums to generate more revenue. How do I know this? Each city posts those minimums on their web sites. And yes, Palm Coast is below those minimums.

The company in AZ that provides these cameras have lobbyists in Pensacola and making contributions to politicians that oppose changing any of the laws that would make these cameras truly useful to protect the lives of the public. That company along with the government in Pensacola are making millions from what the investigative story called "a scheme" to supplement declining revenues.

Studies now show that the lower yellow light times have actually caused more accidents than preventing them. They have changed in nature from T bone type accidents to rear end collisions.

And finally, the safest way to prevent accidents using intersection safety has proven to be pausing the change from red to green an additional 3 seconds before the stopped traffic can go. Some cities that really are interested in safety rather than revenue have proven this concept.

I am one of those defensive drivers that has an exceptional driving record. That is not the same as those that will run red lights because of their aggressive driving habits. However, I am willing to pay for my mistakes and "man up" for my
dumb decisions. And I make plenty of them. But being manipulated by a money making scheme makes me want to fight things like this.

Dave
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #53

Nice rationalization.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #54

I spent the last winter in Florida.
Driving my car, it was the first time that I drove thru corners on red light so often.
I probably never did for the last 10 years at least. I am nor a fast driver nor a slow one.
Thanks now I now why. Short yellow light. We were in several Florida city.And yes you are right, I am always scared to be hit in the back on a yellow light if I stop.
Another way for to make money.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #55

Fox news last night just had a special about Fla reducing the yellow light timing by up to 1/2 second on the new red light camera intersections.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #56
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Several years ago, I had a rather nasty personal experience when T boned by a driver who swore "the light turned yellow just as he entered the intersection" and he "had trouble seeing the light because there was a truck in front of him".......
How in the world did you squeeze in between the truck and the car so he could T-bone you? Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
There have been some nice responses here, especially the recommendation to look for the walk/don't walk indicators that the light is going to change.................

...........And finally, the safest way to prevent accidents using intersection safety has proven to be pausing the change from red to green an additional 3 seconds before the stopped traffic can go. Some cities that really are interested in safety rather than revenue have proven this concept.......

Dave
Yes, some nice responses.

Dave, in Japan there is a 4 second delay after the opposing traffic light turns red. Watch out for the Japanese drivers as they all know that and wil bust through an intersection during that 4 seconds. Unfortunately the driver sitting at the red light waiting for it to change also knows the 4 second rule. So, watlching the opposing traffic green light, when it turns read he will jump forward. It creates some "crunching" moments to say the least.

A 3 second rule will fair no better.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote