Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Foretravel Owners Club
Sure a sad ending, everyone can and do guess as to what happened, was he already dead from heart attack, stroke, or sleeping? we will not likely ever know. My hope is when my time comes, it does not cause issues for others.
Dave M

Foretravel, 2001, 36' ISM500 "Hot Rod"
F150 w/EZ Golf Cart or
CanAM 800 Max Limited ATV
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The video wa8yxm refers to is:
Very informative video. I watched it several times and sent it to my kids and all the people who work for me.
I think it should be a 'sticky' on all the IRV2 forums.
A very similar situation happened to me about 30 years ago so this might be the place to post it as it may help someone else.
I was pulling a 4 sled snowmobile trailer from my cabin in the mountains. There were 2 vehicles following me. It was raining slightly. As I crested a mountain, I lost a little traction on my rear wheels. I asked the others (CB radio) if they experienced the same. They did not.
The Guy behind me owned and drove semiís all his life. He suspected that the trailer I was pulling was built wrong and did not have enough tongue weight. The trailer belonged to a friend of mine and his son had built it.
He said this could cause me to get into a jackknife situation and be very careful for the rest of the trip. Which I was. Fortunately, as we got closer to home, it quit raining. We got on a 4 lane. Just then a large semi passed all of us at a very high rate of speed. That sucked me over and put me into a serious jackknife. The guy behind me said he could see the whole left side of my Suburban then the whole right side, then the whole left etc. This went on for a good quarter of a mile.
Fortunately, after the first incident we had pulled off the road and he gave me some instruction on what to do if I got into a jackknife. He said step on the gas (floor it) and apply the electric trailer brakes hard. This pulled us out of that situation and straightened us out.
My first reaction would have been to hit the Suburban brakes if he had not already schooled me on what to do. He said that it was the worst jackknife situation that he had ever seen, without wrecking, in all his years on the road.
Hoping this information would help someone else if they ever get into that situation.

Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas your first reaction is the reaction MOST folks think of first, Those who paid attention in Driver's ed, or who have had supplemental training, do not think of the brake.

ONE of the reasons I like the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelarator for a towed braking system is included in your story as well.

without applying the MH brakes.. Useful under conditions such as you describe.

Very few towed brake systems give you that option.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Very sad to read.
I would like to know if it was initiated from a blowout or flat tire on the front of the MH. If so I would like to know if there was any type of steering stabilizer installed on the MH. This would be very good information for this site.
I know of another accident that happened in about 2010 or 2011 on I-10 in Florida that was attributed to blowout on front right tire. No steering stabilizer installed and the MH left the road surface impacted trees and burst into flames. Killed three adults.
Tom Sawyer
2010 Ventana 4333, Spartan w/Cummins ISC 360HP
Bucky573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #19
According to the news article I read the accident was near mile marker 147 which would put it on the top of the mountain which is still a hilly terrain, and not on the long downgrade. There could have been a crosswind or some kind of mechanical failure. Accident investigation will tell what happened. I've been over that mountain many times, summer and winter. In the winter you can have blizzard conditions at the top and sun shining at the bottom.
The article also said no one was wearing a seat belt and may have been survivable if they would have had them on.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
My wife and I were returning from east of Atlanta Monday and got caught up in the traffic back up caused by this accident. About 45 minutes after being stopped by traffic, we inched by the RV. It was torn up on the driver's side and rear cap, couldn't see the right side, but it was pretty badly damaged, although the windshields looked intact so I was hoping the folks survived. This was about 3:00 pm, the RV was upright and on the side of the road, out of the woods. There was no heavy grade or curve at that point on I-75.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote