Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tragic Accident in TN

Tragic accident in TN with ties to Jeff Gordon and NASCAR.

Longtime Hendricks Co. school employees killed in RV crash, daughter hurt | Fox 59

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks Beaner

Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be expected but the news story was a tad short on details

The RV ran off the road, down a hill and hit some trees.

But why did it run off the road? What was the initial precipitating incident?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for posting the link/info. Sad news. Hope the daughter recovers quickly.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If you look on Google Earth, you will see this is a beautiful road. Not sure where the trooper was referring to as the mile marker noted is at the KY boarder on a straight road. The route taken seems to be out of the way from the race in Martinsville, VA to the RVers home. I was wondering drowsy driver?

We will probably never know, the bottom line is just don't push your travel days and times.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
If you look on Google Earth, you will see this is a beautiful road. Not sure where the trooper was referring to as the mile marker noted is at the KY boarder on a straight road. The route taken seems to be out of the way from the race in Martinsville, VA to the RVers home. I was wondering drowsy driver?

We will probably never know, the bottom line is just don't push your travel days and times.

Fred

It is a beautiful road but there are significant mountain grades both north and south of Jellico. These good folks were from Indiana and although I'm sure they were experienced drivers, they may have been somewhat inexperienced in mountainous country.

At any rate, it's certainly a tragic occurrence. Send up a prayer for all involved including family and friends.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I 75 does not have any steep mountains that would require special skills. Probably fell asleep...sad story...
Old 10-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I was on that stretch of I-75 on Sunday coming out of Kentucky. There are several grades that are steep enough to have warning signs and can certainly cause a driver not paying attention to build up excessive speed or ride the brakes and then get into trouble.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree there are a few spots where my Grade Brake will disengage cause the speed has climbed up to the point where it can no longer slow me down.

Beautiful road.. But I would still like to know why it ran off the road.

Pilot error, Idiot in a 4=Wheeler, Gust of wind, Other.

By the way.. not in TN but in MI I know some of the folks who go out to a "No Witnessess" fatal accident to figure out what happened.

They are very good at their job and they leave no doubt.

When My wife ran off the road and hit a tree.. There were witnessess (2 car loads) and the on-scene investigation supported what they said. So I know all but one thing which we could not determine in that accident (Why she drifted off the right side of the road).. But we know what happened from that point forward 100%. Even I could read the signs on that.. (I basically have no training but some are rather clear)

Reminds me of a fender bender my daughter had.. She told me what happened, damage and skid marks told same story, At fault told quite a different story, Officer wrote it up the way my daughter told it.. As I said, evidence supported.

Thankfully in that one the only injury was to pride and wallet.. HIS, not mine and not hers.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sad.....

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Very unfortunate accident! His tie's to Jeff Gordon was he taught him to drive (so to speak) in drivers ed. class! So I think that he knew how to handle his MH! Who knows what caused this accident? May never be determined! Very sad nonetheless! Rail!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As to knowing how to handle hour motor home if "Stuff" happens.

First: Not in the motor home but in a car I have been surprised, Sometimes doubly so because I had two vehicles I drove and the one I'd have thought more sensitive to side winds.. Was (like the motor home) more stable, the one I'd have thought more stable, more affected.

And second: There is a post somewhere in these forums something about "Watching these videos may save your life" There is only one video, a Mitchelin production, which I have seen a few times, it is part of the AEON RV safe driving course, which I passed (As do many).

I have been driving for around 50 years (not all on roads) and have blown every possible tire at one time or another... Some at speeds I would rather not mention.. And I LEARNED BY WATCHING THAT VIDEO.

I will not tell you what I learned.. I will state I knew better than "Stand on the brakes with both feet, rollover and die" like so many have done, but I won't tell you what is better still. Watch the Video.

That is why I wish to know WHY they ran off the road.

And an Accident reconstructionist,,, can figure that out.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #13

The daughter is my Grand Son's home room teacher and the community where they all live and work is small, farm country and they are hurting as well. There could have been one of hundreds of causes for this accident and to even speculate a cause without knowing the facts of the investigation is just impossible. Prayers to family, friends and community and just a reminder to all of us to be careful out there.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #14

That's about a 3 mile downgrade coming off of Jellico Mountain to the state line. There are a couple turns that would require attention to speed even for a car. It requires a downshift for big trucks coming down, there are no runaway ramps.