Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer ball greasing

I've pulled small boat and Coleman PUP trailers pretty much my whole life. I never heard of greasing the trailer ball till I got my TT. Seems it would make a real mess. What are your thoughts? Please chime in on both sides of the question.

fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Although I cannot go against what a manuf may require, I have always been told not to grease the hitch balls.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I greased my trailer ball and I can't tell you why I did it other than it was rusty and looked like it needed some grease...

Now I have to be careful when I wash the truck so I don't bump up against it and get grease all over my pants! I'm towing a trailer somewhat regulary right now but when I'm done, I will clean the ball off.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I don't see it hurting anything and will keep the ball from rusting after the chrome wears off. I would only put a very light film on though. I personally don't lubricate mine with grease but give it a shot of PTFE lube occasionally.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Have always greased mine, just seems to make sense, that's a lot of weight to let it be just metal to metal.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

I grease them and periodically wash out the hitch and the ball to get all the accumulated dirt out (and it will accumulate dirt)...
Running some of the higher tongue weights, it only makes sense in my opinion..
You can put a split tennis ball over the ball when not towing in order to protect clothing from the grease.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
I grease them and periodically wash out the hitch and the ball to get all the accumulated dirt out (and it will accumulate dirt)...
Running some of the higher tongue weights, it only makes sense in my opinion..
You can put a split tennis ball over the ball when not towing in order to protect clothing from the grease.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Me too. I cut a water bottle in half to cover a trailer ball. water bottles are already paid-for, and I'm recycling them for my own use. When they become greasy, dirty, or just plain disappear, a different bottle is always handy.

One of my cousins refused to grease the trailer ball. One day he remarked when he made a turn he heard a grinding noise and the rig turned hard. I inspected the trailer ball and pointed out the powdered metal around the ball. I used an mechanics inspection mirror to show him the badly worn receiver on the trailer. That cost him a couple hundred bucks to have a new receiver welded on the trailer and to buy a new trailer ball. Over his protests, I greased the ball and receiver. He phoned me after his next trip to say how easy the rig turned now and didn't make any noise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I always use hitch grease on mine. Very simple and keeps the ball from getting torn up. Before I hook up I take a paper towel , wipe off the shiny chrome ball (sorry couldn't resist that remark) and put a little grease on it. I take the old paper towels and wipe out the part that attaches to the ball. I have two pieces of metal rubbing together, why wouldn't I want to lubricate them?

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
Old 06-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

Have you ever seen a trailer tongue and ball bind? I have seen it happen and the tongue was bent and had to be replaced, the class 2 trailer hitch came out ok. After seeing that I always apply a light coat of grease to the ball and clean it when needed.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

They make and I use the Reese Teflon lubricant, it's not as messy and you can always cover the trailer hitch with a split tennis ball.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
In addition to the lubrication benefits discussed, I thought it also aids in the electrical connection between trailer and tow vehicle. It establishes a common chassis ground potential between truck and trailer and enhances the operation of tail lights or any other chassis grounded device on the trailer when towing.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Now, not only will you have a big red spot from nailing it with your shin, it'll be all greasy too! I used to put grease in the spring on the ball just to help get rid of the rust from the winter. That was the only time I did it during the year.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #13

Make sure you get the right grease
2" ball grease is different than 2 5/16 ball grease and the two are not compatible.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #14

I always added the Reese Teflon grease to the trailer ball when I towed a TT.
CW sells a cover for those trailer balls for cheap if you do not like the cut open
tennis ball look.

Now I add some of the Teflon grease to the hitch mounts for my toad to
ease install & removal of the pins.

Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote