Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd shoot the wheels with an IR gun to see if a bearing or the brakes are causing drag on one wheel.

Is there any sign of irregular tire wear that could be caused by bad tracking?
i dont have a IR gun BUT have put my hand on the hubs before just checking for heat (habit i got into long ago checking for bad bearings or brakes)

the old tires were wore perfectly and no odd wear pattern and both wore almost exactly the same ( i just replaced them because they was getting some weather checks on them

thanks
__________________

__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Sorry,
I'm not a know it all so I have some questions

you said the trailer has a "sway bar' ?!?
Never heard of a sway bar on a trailer, have them on all my tow vehicles,
but maybe it's my racing background, are you talking about a bar from one trailer wheel to the other ????

or are you talking about some type of anti sway hitch between the tow vehicle and the trailer ?!?
Mich linked one in the post below yours, they are sway control arms i guess not bars

thanks
__________________

__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
topdownman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,462
Are you sure your "sway control arms" are not just the spring weight distribution bars? You should have a separate sway control, either a friction device mounted on one side or even better, a Reese dual-cam sway control. Sounds like you don't have either.
__________________
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH - Freightliner / Cummins
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plantation, Fl
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
ive put the firewood in the truck before BUT its a Dodge and it wont hold much weight at all and it starts sagging in the back and then the trailer isnt running level :( yea its a cheap shot at the dodge bu hey it is what it is i hate this truck LOL

Yes the camper sways just as bad without the little utility trailer behind it, im starting to think the camper is set up something like the old pop up campers as they had the axle about direct center :(

thanks
If you're not using a weight distribution hitch set up, that would help with the weight of the firewood, if in the truck. When to use a weight-distributing hitch
I imagine it's a relatively light TT but the weight distribution set up might tie everything together better.
Did you have as much sway with the firewood in the back of the truck. Also what tires are you running on the TT ?
__________________
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly, 4 trips 5800mi
Now 2017 RWD F 150 with a drive shaft disconnect
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,827
ok - why I asked - I don't like to assume before trying to help...
the first thing in solving a problem is really identifying the problem

so it's a hitch device that you are unsure what to call it...

can you give us a close up picture of your tow vehicle to tt "hitch / bars"
so we can see the setup and maybe another pic of the hitch/bars model number, etc.. ?
__________________
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Are you sure your "sway control arms" are not just the spring weight distribution bars? You should have a separate sway control, either a friction device mounted on one side or even better, a Reese dual-cam sway control. Sounds like you don't have either.
yes i have a sway bar set up on the side, i have torsion bars too but dont need them at all on this trailer,,,

thanks
__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
If you're not using a weight distribution hitch set up, that would help with the weight of the firewood, if in the truck. When to use a weight-distributing hitch
I imagine it's a relatively light TT but the weight distribution set up might tie everything together better.
Did you have as much sway with the firewood in the back of the truck. Also what tires are you running on the TT ?
i tried the weight distribution hitch before and i didnt see any improvement, it actually made the ride rougher, as for the wood i put it in the back of the truck but it lowered the tongue height and made it sway a lot more, the tires on the tt are ST 205-75-14 load range C with 50psi

thanks
__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
i tried the weight distribution hitch before and i didnt see any improvement, it actually made the ride rougher, as for the wood i put it in the back of the truck but it lowered the tongue height and made it sway a lot more, the tires on the tt are ST 205-75-14 load range C with 50psi

thanks
About tongue weight, remember that a load of wood in that ute will push the back of the TT Down, reducing the tongue weight on the Dodge's hitch ball.

About other things to test, Very carefully measure the distance from the center of the truck's rear wheels to the centers of the TT wheels. Your TT's axle might be mis-aligned.
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,733
P.S. When TT is disconnected from the Dodge, can you almost lift the tongue up by yourself?
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plantation, Fl
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
i tried the weight distribution hitch before and i didnt see any improvement, it actually made the ride rougher, as for the wood i put it in the back of the truck but it lowered the tongue height and made it sway a lot more, the tires on the tt are ST 205-75-14 load range C with 50psi

thanks
With the weight distribution system set up properly it should have transferred some of the weight of the wood in the truck to the front axle, while leveling out the trailer.
__________________
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly, 4 trips 5800mi
Now 2017 RWD F 150 with a drive shaft disconnect
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
P.S. When TT is disconnected from the Dodge, can you almost lift the tongue up by yourself?
when i have wood loaded on the utility trailer i load it so there is only about maybe 100 pounds on the camper bumper because i dont want to tear the bumper off the camper

as for lifting the camper tongue by hand i used to be able (before the surgery) to lift/bounce it to line it up with the ball on the truck...

thanks
__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
With the weight distribution system set up properly it should have transferred some of the weight of the wood in the truck to the front axle, while leveling out the trailer.
yes it did rais the back of the dodge up some and took some of the weight off the hitch But it didnt help the sway at all so i dont bother to use it no more i just pull the little trailer or my boat behind the camper to carry the wood...

thanks
__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Plantation, Fl
Posts: 1,068
Does your truck have a rear anti sway bar ? If it doesn't adding one should really help. Another thing you could try is finding a scale where you can get the weight of the TT and the tongue weight, to see what percentage you have on your tongue.
I was just thinking back to many years ago when I had an F150 SC long bed towing a 22 or 24' trailer. It was near it's limit for what it was rated to tow, but it towed like a dream. I replaced that with an E150 van with a larger engine, tow package and what not, and it was a nightmare towing that same trailer. I added a rear anti sway bar and it made all the difference in the world for towing.
__________________
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
2016 Mazda CX5, on an Acme tow dolly, 4 trips 5800mi
Now 2017 RWD F 150 with a drive shaft disconnect
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Does your truck have a rear anti sway bar ? If it doesn't adding one should really help. Another thing you could try is finding a scale where you can get the weight of the TT and the tongue weight, to see what percentage you have on your tongue.
I was just thinking back to many years ago when I had an F150 SC long bed towing a 22 or 24' trailer. It was near it's limit for what it was rated to tow, but it towed like a dream. I replaced that with an E150 van with a larger engine, tow package and what not, and it was a nightmare towing that same trailer. I added a rear anti sway bar and it made all the difference in the world for towing.
oh my you may have just figured it out!!! i pulled this trailer with my toyota tundra and it didnt sway near as bad, and now that i think about it this dodge does want to sway or roll in the curves by itself so that could be what it is,,, il have to check into that too thanks
__________________

__________________
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer Coax Wiring trhendr Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 05-20-2014 03:30 PM
McQuerry Trailer Conversion UncleRich Vintage RV's 3 05-01-2014 08:27 AM
Trailer anti sway bars burgiebill Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 21 03-20-2014 09:39 PM
WD Hitch setup on a light trailer matchrocket Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 2 02-16-2014 07:39 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.