Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Trailer sway ?

Hi guys, im having trouble with sway on my camper,,,

NOW before all the "no it alls" start in on me !!!!! ive pulled almost every type/combo of trailers out there and never had this type of trouble...and yes i know im asking a lot but ive done it on several trailers before and its always worked after balancing things out......

im lost on this one,,, ive been towing for years and have had my share of "trailer waging" before but this ones got me, below is my set up, and this is what i have..

1, the camper sways WITHOUT the little trailer on it (and with it on)

2, camper has a "sway bar" on it

3, everything is tight and good (new tires on all 3)

at about 55-60 it does good for the most part (still sways sometimes) about 70 it does good and then bang it starts swaying if i speed up or slow down it quits, until i level off my speed then it will randomly start again... dont seem to be any "trigger" to start it doing it,

everything looks level and ive tried moving weight forwards and backwards in the camper with no luck...... any ideas would be great,,, thanks

sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just and observation here. You ask for advice and then say you don't want "no it alls" (Know it all's?) starting in on you. huh??
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Put about 200 pounds of sandbags on the tongue, if you can do it safely, and try the drive. You say you've added weight to the front of the TT, but how much? Assuming that you're familiar with light-tongue wagging, then....

Very carefully measure the distance from the center of the truck's rear wheels to the centers of the TT wheels. Your TT's axle might be mis-aligned.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Put about 200 pounds of sandbags on the tongue, if you can do it safely, and try the drive. You say you've added weight to the front of the TT, but how much? Assuming that you're familiar with light-tongue wagging, then....

Very carefully measure the distance from the center of the truck's rear wheels to the centers of the TT wheels. Your TT's axle might be mis-aligned.
as far as weight transfer i have taken "most" of the camping gear and a few things and moved it to the front bed , (maybe 100-150 pounds maybe) it didnt seem to have much effect BUT i can leave it loaded the way it is now (weight spread out) and ad the sand bags to the tongue, there is enough room on to the battery box behind the gas tank to stack up the "tube type" sand bags and strap them down. thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Just and observation here. You ask for advice and then say you don't want "no it alls" (Know it all's?) starting in on you. huh??
"know it alls" AS in the ones that are going to say leave the other trailer home or slow down,,,, BUT CANT offer any real advice for what im asking......
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

It does sound like you don't have enough tongue weight on that travel trailer. With a TT your tongue weight should be about 10-12% or so of the trailer weight.
If you're using (ST)trailer tires on your trailers, they are not supposed to exceed 65MPH. To me that's more than fast enough particularly when you're towing two trailers.
Do you normally tow a utility trailer with nothing on it ?

Just saw your post #5. I obviously fall in with the "know it all" group.
By the way, suggesting you slow down, even though you don't want to hear it, is good advice.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Two things come to mind, one is the tongue weight as mentioned, and the other is tire pressure. Low tires can help cause sway.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
It

Just saw your post #5. I obviously fall in with the "know it all" group.
By the way, suggesting you slow down, even though you don't want to hear it, is good advice.
NO YOU dont fall into that category because YOU have some good advice to share

i dont have much in the camper so im going to have to figure out how to get more weight on the tongue all the time not just for trials, we only keep bare essentials in the camper so finding weight might be hard lol thanks

PS the utility trailer is for hauling fire wood on so its empty going home lots of times
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Two things come to mind, one is the tongue weight as mentioned, and the other is tire pressure. Low tires can help cause sway.
thanks checked all 8 tires before we left they are all good, im going to try the weight idea and see if it helps....
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry,
I'm not a know it all so I have some questions

you said the trailer has a "sway bar' ?!?
Never heard of a sway bar on a trailer, have them on all my tow vehicles,
but maybe it's my racing background, are you talking about a bar from one trailer wheel to the other ????

or are you talking about some type of anti sway hitch between the tow vehicle and the trailer ?!?
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
NO YOU dont fall into that category because YOU have some good advice to share

i dont have much in the camper so im going to have to figure out how to get more weight on the tongue all the time not just for trials, we only keep bare essentials in the camper so finding weight might be hard lol thanks

PS the utility trailer is for hauling fire wood on so its empty going home lots of times
Whew, that's a relief.
Is it possible to put that firewood in the truck, or even inside the TT using a tarp or whatever ? It would make things a lot simpler.
Do you still have sway if you're towing the travel trailer without the utility trailer behind it ?
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Sorry,
I'm not a know it all so I have some questions

you said the trailer has a "sway bar' ?!?
Never heard of a sway bar on a trailer, have them on all my tow vehicles,
but maybe it's my racing background, are you talking about a bar from one trailer wheel to the other ????

or are you talking about some type of anti sway hitch between the tow vehicle and the trailer ?!?
I assumed he meant something like this, between the truck and travel trailer. Sway Control - Left - Camco 48381 - Sway Control - Camping World
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd shoot the wheels with an IR gun to see if a bearing or the brakes are causing drag on one wheel.

Is there any sign of irregular tire wear that could be caused by bad tracking?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Whew, that's a relief.
Is it possible to put that firewood in the truck, or even inside the TT using a tarp or whatever ? It would make things a lot simpler.
Do you still have sway if you're towing the travel trailer without the utility trailer behind it ?
ive put the firewood in the truck before BUT its a Dodge and it wont hold much weight at all and it starts sagging in the back and then the trailer isnt running level :( yea its a cheap shot at the dodge bu hey it is what it is i hate this truck LOL

Yes the camper sways just as bad without the little utility trailer behind it, im starting to think the camper is set up something like the old pop up campers as they had the axle about direct center :(

thanks