Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer Transport

Last summer we had to put our trailer in storage near Detroit and head back to Washington State due to a family illness. We expected to continue our trip this summer.....but that is not going to happen. We are trying to figure out the best way to get our trailer back. It will be difficult, if not impossible for my wife and I to go get the trailer together.
We are open to suggestions and comments.

Thanks. Bob & Muriel in Tacoma, WA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Be prepared - if you have to hire a commercial transporter, the last rates I saw quoted ranged from $1.00 to $1.50 per mile! You might get lucky and find a friend or acquaintance who is going that way and will tow it for incremental fuel costs, but some states may consider that a commercial tow since the trailer doesn't belong to your friend. Other than that, be careful having strangers tow it who may not be properly licensed, insured or bonded.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

Agree a 200 mile trip was $265
Old 04-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer transport

Thanks for your input...keep the comments coming.

Yes I agree, we do not want someone without the proper experience/license/insurance to drag our trailer across the country!!

We have received only one quote from Autri Inc / AKAT Transport out of Ridgeville Ill. It was nearly $2.00 per mile.

Does anyone have a name of a service that they are even vaguley familiar with?

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I just Googled "rv transport" and came up with a good selection of companies. Probably the best known (to me, at least) among the companies transporting towable RVs out of Indiana is Classic Transport, but there are many others in that Google search.

Too bad you're not moving the trailer from Washington state to Michigan - that would make a nice backhaul for one of the Indiana RV transporters who delivered a towable to a Washington dealer.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe post it up on Shipping Companies in Canada | International Shipping to Canada - uShip
Then we might see it aired on TV up here.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer transport

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have quote requests in to a half dozen outfits.
I didn't know what to expect when I started this and knew that it would cost close to a buck a mile if I took the time to do it myself....which I cannot do.

Is it against the rules to name names when I choose a transport company?? I think it might be beneficial for future readers to hear how my transport goes.
I am not looking for a cheap rate....not looking to spend any more than necessary either.......but I do want the trailer back home in one piece.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I used to drive a 18 wheeler from Mn,SD,Ia out to Tacoma, Seattle, And Ca, back in the 80's and loved it.Due to my folks health issues I had to quite. I have always wanted to take that run again, pretty country. I have a 04 F150 not sure what size trailer you have but if your pulling it with a Dodge 1500 I would think my Ford would pull it.
You pay for Gas out there and back and we'll do it. I am hoping that this summer or next I will be able to take my MH out there.
Tim
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spritz:
Thank you for your offer, we'll give that consideration. Do you live in Tacoma?
Have a great day.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #10

go to uship.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No Minnesota, Is it ever going to quite we got a 1 1/2 of the white stuff last night and we are suppose to get another 4-6 tonight. Might never get to leave the state again...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hello
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer transport

Thanks to everyone for your input. Just before I had to make a decision on a transport vendor, friends offered to pick the trailer up, and bring it back home for us.......I hope this works out for all of us!
FYI: I contacted 9 companies that advertised on the internet that they moved RV/trailers. I received 5 quotes. Two of the quotes were form UShip, and I was going to commit to one of those. The quotes ranged from $1.90 per mile to $1.50......the quote I was going to use from UShip was $1.57 per mile.
Thanks again for you input........if anyone wants any more specific information about the vendors I contacted let me know.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #14

hope all works out remember they have to cover damage done