Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Train Air Horns

I am looking and shopping for some loud air horns to mount behind the front grill. I have been listening for volume and quality of tone and find the Nathan Air Chime Train Horns the sweetest. Train Air Horns
Question: Who out there already has train horns on their RV and have they had any problems; mechanical or with the law???
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Just the thing when you are stuck behind a little old lady in the middle of the road - not that it happens often. I agree that when you are mad in a big rig, you want it to SOUND mad...
Old 11-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend of mine picked up an air horn off a fire truck. It is super loud. I mean SUPER loud. I have air horns on my MH which also are very loud and are very effective for the morons who merge onto the highway 20 MPH slower that the traffic.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I know of this guy who mounted train horns on his big pick up truck. You could hear them a mile away. One day he blew them outside a pub, with a deck along the street, and literally made people drop their drinks. He was pulled over a couple of blocks away and fined $350.00 and was ordered to disable the horns. That was in a city, on the open road, who knows?.......Bob.
seldomseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
I have air horns, they are not the big train horns but they are 13" long dual trumpets mounted side-by-side. They are mounted on top of the cab just above the driver. If I honk them while my window is down, they make me jump.

I have had these horns four years and have had a number of experiences with them that changed how I thought they would work. Granted, if someone is stopped in front of you and piddling around not paying attention that the light has turned green, a short blast will get them looking around and moving. But by the same token, if someone is moving and they do something like pull in front of you, you have to think about whether you want to use those big horns or not because, instead of moving out of the way, they are likely to stop dead! If you use those horns be sure you have room to stop.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Have a 3-bells set of train horns & I love them.

They run off the coach compressor, take little air & announce your presence BIG TIME when the need arises.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

I've got a cheap set of Air Horns in the from of my Dodge and they work wonderful for getting the attention of others... Nice and loud... They're not train horns but close enough...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In Salinas, about 35 miles south of you, they were illegal. One of the construction companies had one on a truck that they put in parades and had a permit to blow it during the parade.

It was extremely loud when on the main street with tall buildings on both sides.

I think it would do more harm than good as it causes you to think there is a train bearing down on you and distracts you from driving as you look around to see what the heck is going on.
Might even cause some road rage.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[Arch Hoagland;742559]In Salinas, about 35 miles south of you, they were illegal. One of the construction companies had one on a truck that they put in parades and had a permit to blow it during the parade.

It was extremely loud when on the main street with tall buildings on both sides.

I think it would do more harm than good as it causes you to think there is a train bearing down on you and distracts you from driving as you look around to see what the heck is going on.

RESPONSE:

Every 18 wheeler has air horns. I wonder how the cops in Salinas have time to fight crime.
Where I live they have the Metro Link train and they blow their horn at every road crossing and they still hit people and vehicals.
As Ron White says " You just can't fix stupid "
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #10

Electric 135 DB horns can be bought from J C Whitney pretty cheaply and will wake the dead from the graveyard.I am thinking about getting a set and mounting them with a separate switch from my regular horn so I will have both. The folks on the cell phone while they are merging drive me nuts and a blast would be informative for them and get them to realize it is their responsibility to merge with me, not the other way around.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
A friend of mine picked up an air horn off a fire truck. It is super loud. I mean SUPER loud. I have air horns on my MH which also are very loud and are very effective for the morons who merge onto the highway 20 MPH slower that the traffic.
They must be prolific breeders, they're all over the place.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
Have a 3-bells set of train horns & I love them.

They run off the coach compressor, take little air & announce your presence BIG TIME when the need arises.

Mark
"take little air" is undoubtedly a subjective specification - a good set of train horns, such as the Nathan K5LA ( AirChime K5LA ) typically are installed with a minimum 5 gallon air tank and use a 110 psi valve with 1/2" or larger lines. I had a friend who installed such a system on his pickup and a 10 gallon air tank fully charged to 150 psi would give him about 10 seconds of NOISE! Of course you can run them with lower pressure but you lose a lot of their performance if you don't run them full on...
Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
[Arch Hoagland;742559]In Salinas, about 35 miles south of you, they were illegal. One of the construction companies had one on a truck that they put in parades and had a permit to blow it during the parade.

RESPONSE:

Every 18 wheeler has air horns. I wonder how the cops in Salinas have time to fight crime.
Where I live they have the Metro Link train and they blow their horn at every road crossing and they still hit people and vehicals.
As Ron White says " You just can't fix stupid "
Obviously you've never been to Salinas, CA. The cops there don't fight crime. Very scary city to live in, that's one of the reasons we moved away from there.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Go to Youtube and do a search for train horns and watch some reactions from people that have been witness to actually hearing them with out a train around. Get a good set of Hadley's. You'll be happier. IMHO