Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Agree on bogus ones, but if both buyer and seller are at the buyers bank and a bank officer handles the transaction, how could the bank's cashiers check be stopped?

On what grounds?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #16

Cashiers checked can be stopped. Opening an account at their bank is a good idea. Beware that people are going to DMV and getting a copy of their clean title, then going and getting title loans. They get the copy notorized and then sell it to you. You find out at DMV when you go get it put in your name.
Also, used Rv places are selling you the Rv and not paying the float loan at the bank for that Rv. The bank will get the Rv back and you will have to go after the bankrupt dealer. Even if you put it in your name the bank has the right. Sounds wrong but its the law.
Both go to DMV and ask questions
Both go to bank and ask questions

Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Search me. All I know is my bank told me they can be stopped. That was enough to give me more gray hair . I suppose in that instance ( at the buyers bank ) I'd feel better.
I just closed on a house last week and went through this bank check fiasco. The sellers bank faxed a copy of my cashiers check to my bank who verified it as authentic and then we did a closing. OY.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I sold my Motorhomes to a couple from New Zealand that were here to buy an RV. They simply had the money wired to our account and it was a done deal.
However, it took a while to get it wired into our account so we invited them to stay with us until the transaction was complete. We now have two new wonderful friends and a great experience. After touring around the USA for two months, they shipped it back to NZ !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would only accept a direct wire transfer between their bank and your bank. anything else could be a scam. When your banker tells you the money is in your account, THEN you sign the title and bill of sale and give it to the buyer.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would only accept a direct wire transfer between their bank and your bank. anything else could be a scam. When your banker tells you the money is in your account, THEN you sign the title and bill of sale and give it to the buyer.
If you were the buyer would you wire the money before you got the title ? Trying to put myself in the buyers seat to understand their fears.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, if we were sitting in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If you were the buyer would you wire the money before you got the title ? Trying to put myself in the buyers seat to understand their fears.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If I were buying an RV I would never commit to a purchase without actually seeing & inspecting the unit. If they do that then they could have the transfer done while at the seller's location.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Search me. All I know is my bank told me they can be stopped. That was enough to give me more gray hair . I suppose in that instance ( at the buyers bank ) I'd feel better.
I just closed on a house last week and went through this bank check fiasco. The sellers bank faxed a copy of my cashiers check to my bank who verified it as authentic and then we did a closing. OY.
Cliff tail is correct. They can be stopped but it is no easy process. We had to do that on a very strange set of circumstances that allowed a charge to our CC AND the check. Check was lost and found later after the charge to the card. They could have reversed the CC charge but chose not to as they already had the money so I had to cancel the check. Took a few weeks if memory serves me correct. You have to have a very good reason to cancel a cashiers check and the bank does a thorough check before returning the funds so it will not be an overnight scam.

Alan
Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If I were buying an RV I would never commit to a purchase without actually seeing & inspecting the unit. If they do that then they could have the transfer done while at the seller's location.
I have sold about 8 units and every one went this way.Like they say at the boat yard (no cash no splash).
Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Searching the 'net, I found that Cashiers checks can be be stopped if it is reported lost, stolen, destroyed or the person obtaining the check did so by fraud.

The check cannot be stopped just because the buyer changes his mind.

I still feel the safest transaction is to do it at the bank.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I have sold about 8 units and every one went this way.Like they say at the boat yard (no cash no splash).
I remember that term well. I was in that business.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Searching the 'net, I found that Cashiers checks can be be stopped if it is reported lost, stolen, destroyed or the person obtaining the check did so by fraud.

The check cannot be stopped just because the buyer changes his mind.

I still feel the safest transaction is to do it at the bank.
It is safe if you can verify that its a good check at the time of the transaction. At the bank is the way to go.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #28
srh

Monaco Owners Club
As has been said, the easiest and cleanest way is for the parties to go the bank. In one case, I, as a seller, and the buyer with his cashier's went to my bank. My bank called the bank where the cashier's check was issued and verified the legitimacy of the check and the availability of the funds. It was deposited in my account and I signed over the title and gave the buyer the keys.
When I bought a class A MH on eBay, I met with the seller at the seller's bank. I called my bank and authorized them to wire the funds to the seller's bank account while we both were present at the bank. About an hour later the funds arrived at the seller's bank account and I received the signed title from the bank officer.
In the third case, I, as a seller, went with the buyer to his bank. He wired the funds to my bank account and I gave him keys and the signed title.
I have also sold a car, around $43K using the buyer's cashier's check, but I knew the person so no verifications were made. All these transactions went well without any issues. Good luck and play it safe!

Tags
sale