Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #1

Transport Drivers

Was recently up in Indiana and made a couple trips from Indianapolis to Elkhart/Bristol area. I was amazed at how many transport services were hauling travel trailers and driving new RVs down US 31. I saw new travel trailers with shredded tires and missing fenders. I saw a couple with the cargo doors open and flapping around. Overall the transport drivers seemed to have big F250/350 type trucks and were excellent drivers.

Do they get paid per delivery? Mile? Day? Are they employed/contracted by manufacturers or dealers? Any guess as to how many people do that for a living? It has to be thousands and thousands.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
With all the RVs and mobile homes built in and around the Elkhart region, it is a big business -- when business is good. I don't know how many drivers are employed, but some are private contractors, others part of large hauling businesses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I drove from SLC to Cheyenne on I80 every week. Out of boredom I started noticing what type pickup was used to haul 5ers and TTs by delivery companies. About 80% were Dodge 1-ton drw 2x4, usually extended cab or 4-door. The other 20% were other Dodges, and Ford and GM.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #4

From a couple You-tuber's I've seen it's a flat rate and you only get paid one way. It seems like you are better off getting your CDL and becoming a trucker.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

Brand new and being driven with shredded tires?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBounder View Post
From a couple You-tuber's I've seen it's a flat rate and you only get paid one way. It seems like you are better off getting your CDL and becoming a trucker.
If I remember the book right, and what LEOs have written up friends for, if the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000 or more, and moving the trailer is part of his job the driver must have a class A CDL.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Driving on I90 today, had a new Tiffin with the DOT papers in the window blow past me like I wasn't on the road and I was doing 70.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #8

There are many actual reports from transport drivers on the internet--just google for them. After reading up on several real life experiences, I think it is hard to make more than just a minimum living unless you go into it full time. Several of the companies have lots of info on their websites. Horizon Transports is one, I seem to remember.
Things have maybe changed for the better with so many RVs being mfgd.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #9

The couple with flat/shredded tires had pulled off and were changing them. The one I saw the fender sitting 1/2 in the road first, then the trailer was up another 1/2 mile or so.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
There are many actual reports from transport drivers on the internet--just google for them. After reading up on several real life experiences, I think it is hard to make more than just a minimum living unless you go into it full time. Several of the companies have lots of info on their websites. Horizon Transports is one, I seem to remember.
Things have maybe changed for the better with so many RVs being mfgd.
Not sure things change with more units to deliver, competition will keep hauling prices down and the private haulers will make less profit. They also suffer from mostly using special trailers to load the RV units and only get to haul from one region and then deadhead back empty.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
The couple with flat/shredded tires had pulled off and were changing them. The one I saw the fender sitting 1/2 in the road first, then the trailer was up another 1/2 mile or so.
These issues aren't caused by the drivers.

All those new RVs have to be transported in some way. I think the majority of drivers do a good job. If they came into the dealership damaged they wouldn't have a job.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
These issues aren't caused by the drivers.

All those new RVs have to be transported in some way. I think the majority of drivers do a good job. If they came into the dealership damaged they wouldn't have a job.
Shredded tires and the damage the tire blowout causes could be the fault of the driver if they didn't check the tire pressures before leaving the lot. It also could be the fault of the RV manufacturer not checking pressures before releasing the RV for shipment. Generally, if a trucker has an issue on the road they are held at fault if the truck and trailer are unsafe and cause an accident.

I agree, the haulers are often trying to do a safe and swift completion of the job, but there are some that tow faster than the tires are rated, don't adequately check before leaving the lot, etc.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
Overall the transport drivers seemed to have big F250/350 type trucks and were excellent drivers.

Do they get paid per delivery? Mile? Day? Are they employed/contracted by manufacturers or dealers? Any guess as to how many people do that for a living? It has to be thousands and thousands.
I've witnessed some rather large trailers delivered by somewhat meager poorly serviced TV's. Knew one semi retired "Hotshot" that contracted with a local dealer ran a F-250 with a crushed bed (high pinned while sleepy) clock had 324K miles on it. He carried most of what a wrecker driver might, boost box, spare, bottle-jacks, tools, compressor, etc.

Rates are negotiable,(approx. $1.50-2.70 mi.) but based on the "established" one way miles from A to B. Generally haulers are independent owner operator / contractors paying their own taxes etc. Generally the dealer's floor plan, special orders although they are coordinated with production schedules, are arranged contracted by the selling dealer's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
If I remember the book right, and what LEOs have written up friends for, if the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000 or more, and moving the trailer is part of his job the driver must have a class A CDL.
Yeah, they are commercial haulers and have to adhere to DOT rules. Log books, rest breaks, driving hrs. insurance. They could account for the mysterious RV's sightings folks see rolling / waved-through weigh stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Generally, if a trucker has an issue on the road they are held at fault if the truck and trailer are unsafe and cause an accident. Yes, the operator is responsible, and would have to submit receipts for repair(s) made for review & compensation from who contracted them.
I agree, the haulers are often trying to do a safe and swift completion of the job, but there are some that tow faster than the tires are rated, don't adequately check before leaving the lot, etc.
I've heard of haulers making unauthorized route changes, short-cuts etc. (gravel damage) and being docked for repairs or excessive cleanups that were over and above normal road and weather conditions.

Contracts have become very strict about haulers using any portion of the product(s) as well, beds, galley, head.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 PM   #14

When I was a transporter I would find backhauls back to Indiana a trailer manufacturer in Texas other RVs in Kansas as well as other RVs in Oregon also uShip to find other loads going back home. Most of the other drivers where older with second income. No CDL when truck and trailer is under 26000 pounds a chauffeur's license is required for Indiana pay rate varied by the trailer and location. We would sleep in the RV on the floor with an air mattress as DOT regulations does not allow to sleep in the vehicle unless you have a sleeper
Ryano23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver