Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Transporting new RVs for pay

I am sure there are folk on this board who do this; pick up an RV from the manufacturer and deliver it to a dealer. How does it work and how much do you get? What kind of miles per day is expected? I know that typically you cannot use any of the appliances and facilities in the coach; and for overnight you would use your sleeping bag. You can also tow your toad. Do the manufacturers hire you or is there a central company? What about insurance?

I am also sure there are interesting experiences to be shared.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rich and Cork,
The manufacturers use vendor labor to transport coaches to dealers. The best action is to call a manufacturer who has dealers in the area you live. Determine who they use and how to contact the company. Pay varies and none make a living at this. Mostly retired folks who like to drive.

The important thing is to understand the T&Cs of each company. Some manufacturers require the driver to have the outside of the coach cleaned before delivering it to the dealer. I've seen drivers put a large piece of very thin plastic on the front of a coach (top to bottom and entire left to right). This is because the driver was responsible for any (and I do mean any) damage.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I've seen drivers put a large piece of very thin plastic on the front of a coach (top to bottom and entire left to right). This is because the driver was responsible for any (and I do mean any) damage.
Hah.... Our DSDP arrived with a big scratch in the passenger sidewall, completely through the clear coat and paint. The driver claimed it was vandalism and got out of paying anything. To us (and the dealer) it looked exactly how a tree branch would leave a scratch if you drove into it and then hit the brakes hard.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

GaryKD speaks wisely. Having chatted with many of these drivers at the Flying J islands, IMHO it is a very tough line of work with little reward. I had some preconceived notions of how I thought this business works and that got totally shattered after talking to the drivers.

Make sure you completely understand the contract T&Cs as to damage, fuel, on road repairs, vehicle liability while in your custody, timeline, and especially understand exactly how you'll get back home and exactly what the means (and I mean from the dealer's lot where you just completed delivery to your house).

Generally these guys run on fixed price contracts and you get to pay for everything within that fixed price. One ooppss, even a wrong turn adding miles or idling to heat in the winter, and you are underwater fast.

Now, driving for some of the mega-RVs - the Prevost level converters - can be a whole different story with a waiting list longer than the phone book to get in.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

An Edmonton Alberta based friend looked into it, they wanted people who lived near the factory. The driver would be flown back to the plant after each trip and be available for any assignment. Who knows when he might get another trip to Edmonton and who would foot the layover costs.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here is one company that does RV transport for the factories and some infoprmation on their requirements. They mostly do trailers, but it will give you an idea.

rv transport jobs drivers wanted

You can find several companies that provide delivery serves if you Google 'RV delivery driver'
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I drove part time for a large West Coast dealer from 2002 until 2005. Did make a little money but mostly enjoyed the drive and checking out all makes and models from Class A to small class B. Pay was .33 a mile at that time and if short drives a fixed rate. Drives were delivering out of state new purchases, move from location to location for company stores and to/from RV shows and set up. 1st night on the road sleep in RV, 2nd night motel authorized, per diem for each day. Driver did a walk around check sheet before trip and at the end. As far as I can remember if an incident happened the company took care. If you had multiple incidents you were terminated.
It was a good experience and helped in my decision on what brand of RV to purchase. One needed a CDL to drive as it is a commercial activity.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good information. Thought about it at one time and now glad I didn't do it.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I looked into it several years ago and at that time you could not use the RV as you would like - couldn't use the head, shower, stove, refrigerator, etc. Couldn't take a pet - I can understand all that - they wanted a new clean unused RV delivered and that left me (and my dog) out.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #10

Read the above post by Ronnie B. This is not something you simply walk into, you will need a CDL license as this is a commercial venture.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #11

Read Delivering RV's for pay. This is on the escapees forums, and many of the replies are by people who have done this already.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs