Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

Transporting RV's

We will soon become full time RVers, but still in a learning / information gathering stage. So many people on the forums recommend renting the different RV's to see what suits you best and if RVing is a fit. In a perfect world that would be great. Just to rent a class C for 3 days to go 600 miles is an initial outlay of $1,200 ($500 you get back as a security deposit) plus gas. For those of us on fixed income that is a huge amount of money! Renting is not an option for us.

How about transporting RV's for a dealership, manufacturer, or owner from point A to point B? Has anyone ever heard of that? Car dealerships as well as car owners often hire people to drive vehicles for them to different locations. If anyone out there knows how to point us in the right direction, we would greatly appreciate it. We would love to transport and get a good healthy taste of the RV life.

Thanks for you help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

I don't think that companies want the coach and all the things that go with it to be used like you are living in it. I would not want mine to be used by some driver taking it from point A to B but that is me. Your best bet is to determine how you intend on using the coach and what floor plans and layouts you like best and that is pretty easy to do just by walking around in as many as you can. There is a lot of research available on the internet as to what is good and not so good as well.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
RV info collection strategy

When I was in the pondering process (tow, 5th wheel, Class C, class A,???) a friend of ours invited me to come to a Good Sam rally (Samboree) where, they assured me I would find plenty of folks to talk about the good & bad aspects of their RVs. I did and there were more than a few folks happy/eager to talk about their rigs (for as long as I was willing to listen ).
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark View Post
We will soon become full time RVers, but still in a learning / information gathering stage. So many people on the forums recommend renting the different RV's to see what suits you best and if RVing is a fit. In a perfect world that would be great. Just to rent a class C for 3 days to go 600 miles is an initial outlay of $1,200 ($500 you get back as a security deposit) plus gas. For those of us on fixed income that is a huge amount of money! Renting is not an option for us.
How about transporting RV's for a dealership, manufacturer, or owner from point A to point B? Has anyone ever heard of that? Car dealerships as well as car owners often hire people to drive vehicles for them to different locations. If anyone out there knows how to point us in the right direction, we would greatly appreciate it. We would love to transport and get a good healthy taste of the RV life.
Thanks for you help!
jomark
Normally people who transport/deliver RVs are not allowed to eat, sleep or use anything in the RV they are delivering, (you can't tell much about a MH by driving it).

It is easier to take a few $1,000 losses renting.... than it is to waste many thousands on something you can't live with.
IMO if you can't afford to rent a few MHs before you buy... you defiantly can't afford to buy, use, drive and maintain one.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Maybe this would be a good option ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438971870.136865.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	102444
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jomark
IMO if you can't afford to rent a few MHs before you buy... you defiantly can't afford to buy, use, drive and maintain one.

Mel
'96 Safari

Hate to say it....... But I agree with this. 😀
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks for these responses. However, I never said anything about living in the RV's and I didn't specifically say motorhomes. I'll table that question as it is obviously not a viable idea - even though I said "transport" not "live in".

As for the financial aspect. We did see one motorhome for rent for $599 per day. That does not include mileage, insurance or fuel. You all are right, we can't afford that and if owning a motorhome takes that much of a financial commitment, we definately won't be going that direction.

We will continue to visit RV dealerships, learning from the internet, and talk to friends that have RV's. When the time comes to buy, we will simply make the best decision for us at the time and go with it. After all, we continually hear that most people trade after the first 2 years anyway.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Two ideas come to mind.

Some careful thought about how you want to live in your RV will give you a clue about what kind you want. For example I have no use for a fiver because I do not want a big truck as a casual driver and I want to be able to put car top boats on the tow vehicle/towed. I also want to be able to park in the rain and go back to the kitchen and bathroom without getting wet. That puts me in a motor home of some kind.

Forget about buying your last RV first. It's a wonderful concept but not very practical. Instead buy a beater. Look for what you think you want in a used high milage or whatever vehicle that is in demonstrable working order at a low price. If you use it for a few months you can flip it for close to what you paid for it and if it totally breaks it probably costs you less than the depreciation on a new unit. That lets you try theories about what you want so the second purchase will be made from a position of first hand knowledge of what is important. Trade or sell the beater.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Your idea about transporting an RV to try it out is done. Rental companies do this to get them from headquarters or the manufactuer to their rental locations, I think Cruise America does this out of Phoenix. Friends of ours "rented" one at a deep discount and transported it to Alaska from the Winnebago factory.

This might give you an idea on how they drive but not how they "live". Rentals are designed and finished a lot different than one you would select for full timing.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for you help!
Quote:
Thanks for these responses. However, I never said anything about living in the RV's and I didn't specifically say motorhomes. I'll table that question as it is obviously not a viable idea - even though I said "transport" not "live in".
As for the financial aspect. We did see one motorhome for rent for $599 per day. That does not include mileage, insurance or fuel. You all are right, we can't afford that and if owning a motorhome takes that much of a financial commitment, we definately won't be going that direction.
We will continue to visit RV dealerships, learning from the internet, and talk to friends that have RV's. When the time comes to buy, we will simply make the best decision for us at the time and go with it. After all, we continually hear that most people trade after the first 2 years anyway.
jomark
When you used "just to rent a class C for 3 days to go 600 miles is an initial outlay of $1,200" as an example in your OP I assumed you meant "a class C motorhome".
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BTW very few RV owners who "trade after the first 2 years" save money when they trade because, like automobiles, RVs depreciate dramatically when they leave the dealers lot.

Mel
'96 Safari, (mine for 14 years)

Old 08-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jomark
Normally people who transport/deliver RVs are not allowed to eat, sleep or use anything in the RV they are delivering, (you can't tell much about a MH by driving it).

It is easier to take a few $1,000 losses renting.... than it is to waste many thousands on something you can't live with.
I disagree that you can't tell anything about driving one. Drive a Class-A or Class-C gasser that isn't aligned well from the factory and you'll never want to own one. Drive a nice DP - and you can narrow down what length you're comfortable with.

Most states will require that you get a Class-A or Class-B license to drive the diesels.. At least the mid to large size ones.

And yes, you can get paid to transport them, if you have the license.

I do agree with Mel - you should do the rental thing. Don't take it far if you like how it drives... And you should be able to do that for <$1000. If you can't afford that, then RV repairs would likely eat your lunch in most scenarios...
Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:

Thanks for you help!
If finances are that tight, I would rethink this hobby, There is always something to fix (Just like sticks and bricks) fuel, tires. A rental is the best way to see if you like this lifestyle. Could be a cheap investment,
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

[In my opinion] Driving an RV for a day may identify problems with a particular one, but won't tell you much at all whether it is the "right one for you". I simply don't think becoming a transport driver will be of great help in determining what you should buy for yourself. You get to spend more time with an individual RV, but that's about it. You don't gain experience with a floor plan pros/cons or the use of the appliances & systems, none of which are allowed when transporting.

Renting to gain experience is helpful, but very expensive if experience is the only reason for the rental. You would have to rent at least a few different models, even Class A as well as Class C, to gain much valuable experience, so we are really talking thousands of dollars. But if you call the rental a vacation expense, it becomes more tolerable.

Buying an older one to gain experience is even more useful, and the cost of trading or re-selling an old RV is often no worse than the rentals. I strongly favor buying used anyway. Remember, you are buying a house more than a vehicle. You don't insist on "new" when you get a new house or apartment, do you?

Whether new or used, don't rush the buying process. Spend a lot of time in as many different RVs as you can, preferably without a salesman hovering. Sit on the commode, stand in the shower, imagine where you will put your pots & pans, clothing, and lawn chairs, etc. It will be very educational!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks for you help!
Buy a used unit in good shape. We just finished 2 years on the road in a used fifth wheel, already had the tow vehicle, sold after owning it for 3 years and sold it for 3 thousand less than what we bought it for.
$1000.00 a year ain't bad.

Gary
gwlaeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs