Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #15

Some people are just pigs. Once when I was out walking the highway picking up trash with our church group, a car drove by and just threw out a pile right next to us.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to add, it's not only long haul drivers. A segment of the public seems to think that it's fun to also throw their glass bottles along the highway and at RestStops...breaking the glass into thousands of razor sharp pieces...

Last month, there was SO MUCH broken glass at the RestStop - East of Yuma on westbound I-8, that we had to take our dogs outside the reststop boundaries so they could take a nature call*. Inside the boundries, there was no place that wasn't completly covered with broken glass.

*Yes, we ALWAYS pick-up after the dogs. St. Bernards leave a sizable gift when nature calls. From our travels, it is usually only the owners of the tiny dogs that just leave it.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my way in to work this morning,I was sitting at a stoplight behind a lady that emptied her car's ashtray out the window. I do remember doing that myself in the olden days when I still smoked ,but it's not exactly the thing to do today.
I took her license number and called it in,1 butt mebbee,but this was 20-30 butts,and later got a phone call asking me if I wanted the reward. I said huh,what was that about and was told there was a $100 reward.I told them that I was just trying to be a good citizen and for them to keep it.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A truck repair shop told me they refuse to work on certain trucks. There is a particular breed(nationality) of truck driver that have a hole cut in the floor of the sleeper and they let 'er rip. I guess they got to keep movin' and don't lose any time.
The repair shop had seen this on a truck they had in the shop once to do a safety inspection. It was gross.... toilet paper, crap, etc. plastered all over the underchassis.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Years ago some first lady of the USA set about to clean it up. Was that Nancy Reagan, "keep it beautiful"? From that we did make vast improvement. We still see remnants of that effort with road signs indicating some group or person has pledged to keep a certain milepost area cleaned. Every once in a while you see crews out picking up litter. I am pleased but stunned to see just how much they have picked up. It is a worthwhile effort.
You might be thinking of Lady Bird Johnson who was responsible for the implementation of the Highway Beautification Act, also known as "Lady Bird's Bill".

Lady Bird's Lost Legacy
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
A truck repair shop told me they refuse to work on certain trucks. There is a particular breed(nationality) of truck driver that have a hole cut in the floor of the sleeper and they let 'er rip. I guess they got to keep movin' and don't lose any time.
The repair shop had seen this on a truck they had in the shop once to do a safety inspection. It was gross.... toilet paper, crap, etc. plastered all over the underchassis.
These are the guys with the funny hats! I don't mean to discriminate but it is what it is. I put in a lot of miles on the road and have never had the need to do that. These pigs are usually the ones that crash because they never stop for breaks. I too have talked to mechanic that refused to work on those trucks. Beautify our country alright, sheesh!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have drunk drivers picking up trash constantly in orange suits in SE Tennessee. Some of the suits actually say drunk driver. Our highways are pretty spotless
Old 03-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #22

I don't know where Grimsey is from, but out here on the east side of the sierras the roads are pretty spotless.

The worst road trash I've ever seen was in the poorer backroads of the deep south, and right at the edge of the Navajo Indian Reservation. All that love of nature BS seems to go away at the edge of the rez. There was one area where within sight of the "you are now entering" sign there were literally tens of thousands of bottles over hundreds of yards on both sides of the road. An enterprising person could have made some serious recycle money there.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote