Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got this from my motorcycle club. If it is true it is worth keeping in mind

Traveler's Warning -

Beginning July, Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated "work zones" on major freeways.

Anyone caught by the devices will be mailed a $ 375 ticket for the first offense, but a second ticket will cost $ 1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their insurance rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city using photo enforcement. Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July.

The state will begin with two camera vans issuing tickets in zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the driver's face and license plate are taken. Officials announced the plan on the Dan Ryan Expressway suggesting Chicago area roads are likely to be a target.

Illinois Tollway Executive Director Jack Hartman promised more work zones: "Since the Tollway just launched our $5.3 billion Congestion Relief Plan, drivers will see more work zones on the Tollway than they have in the past."

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got this from my motorcycle club. If it is true it is worth keeping in mind

Traveler's Warning -

Beginning July, Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated "work zones" on major freeways.

Anyone caught by the devices will be mailed a $ 375 ticket for the first offense, but a second ticket will cost $ 1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their insurance rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city using photo enforcement. Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July.

The state will begin with two camera vans issuing tickets in zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the driver's face and license plate are taken. Officials announced the plan on the Dan Ryan Expressway suggesting Chicago area roads are likely to be a target.

Illinois Tollway Executive Director Jack Hartman promised more work zones: "Since the Tollway just launched our $5.3 billion Congestion Relief Plan, drivers will see more work zones on the Tollway than they have in the past."

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #3

Maybe not such as bad idea, it's one thing to be working in traffic and seeing it come at you, you might get the microsecond to jump, but when you're working and don't have eyes in the back of your head, hey give the workers a break, what's it inconvenience you...a couple of seconds maybe.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Ought to do this everywhere, it'd sure slow folks down once the word got out.

Frequently, I'm apprehensive to slow down completely for a 45 mph limit in a posted construction zone because the traffic around me just keeps blowing on by. I'll just drop 10 - 15 mph so I'm not impeding and hazarding all the 18 wheelers wanting to run 70 in a 45 zone.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:27 AM   #5

I like the signs I saw in several construction zones: " Please SLOW DOWN, daddy works here!"

That I think says it all. But, let's hope that they blank out the altered speed limits when no one is working!! Many, many times, we have gone through work zones with reduced limits where not a soul or piece of equipment was in sight. That I feel encourage disregard of the limits!

Bob

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #6

Interesting!

In Colorado, speed camera citations can only carry a fine - no points or other penalties are enforcable. I seem to recall it was found "unconstitutional" to enforce criminal codes when the infraction was not witnessed by a human. Not sure if that's the Colorado state constitution or US, and don't quote me on this.

I agree with Bob. I think we should do everything we can to slow traffic down in construction zones.

I feel it is equally appropriate to take measures to avoid imparing traffic unnecessarily when construction is not present. I have had to slow down to 35mph for miles at a time on an open Interstate on a Sunday afternoon when there was no one around. After the third or forth time you hit these non-cunstruction zones within a stretch of 100 miles, you start wanting to ignore the signs.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #7

Its the US constitution. You have a right to face your accusor--and a camera cannot be your accusor. In virtually every place camera fines have been attempted, they've been eliminated eventually when someone took them to court and got them thrown out.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #8

Some Utah cities tried them for a time, and it did raise some revenue, but there were many expensive court cases that the cities lost and it has now gone away. However, they are trying to pass legislation that will put a photocop at street lights, if you run the red (common here) then the picture and fine is mailed to you. I'm for it.

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two days after K-Star's originally, this appeared in our local newspapers.

http://www.pressconnects.com/saturda...8059.shtml#top

At about the same time TV was full of the dash cam pictures of a police officer being run down by a pick up truck and his subsequent interviews after surviving with minor injuries, very atypical most are seriously injured or killed.

My thoughts were two fold, about time and why do we always have to come with new laws and devices every time a new situation arises, not that killing construction workers and police officers working beside our highways is new.

There are old laws on the books that cover the situation well and anyone who gets behind the wheel of several tons of motor vehicle then breaks the law by speeding through a construction zone or past an officer stopped on the shoulder has demonstrated a deprave indifference to life and should be charged with one of the homicide statutes, murder or manslaughter.

Of course they would never be convicted, they must face their accusers.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:35 AM   #10

I drive a truck for a well known company, and the thing that irritates me is the four wheelers getting on you tail through the construction and then trying to run me off the road because i caused them to lose a whole minute in their life. I drive the speed limit and I don't intend to get a ticket and am sure not gonna let somebody cause me to get one. I think that they should do this in every state and make the fines harsher. Maybe we could save a few lives..
Old 05-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Muddyduck, you are just down the road from us. Look under the South Central Section for the Okie campuut. We are going to Pawnee next weekend. Love to have you join us.

Now to get back on topic. I know you get upset by 4-wheels tring to push you down the road. I have the same problem with "professional" truck drivers as well. Be running 5 over in the right hand lane and an 18 wheeler is about 10' off my bumper.

Problem is no one has any regard for LEO's now and they are spread too thin to enforce traffic laws along with the robbers, rapeist and murders. They need to really clamp down on speeders and red light runners with a BIG fine and loss of license and pull the tags on the vehicle.

As for the camera tickets being unconstitutional...I disagree. You are violating a law on a public street and the LEO is just using the camera as an extension of his authority and you do face the local authority or his represenative. If you do not like the fine, do do the crime. Remember...a picture is worth a thousand words.

Ken
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #12

This is part of the slippery slope that is eroding our rights protected by the constitution and bill of rights. The root cause of new laws pushing us down the slope, is our own indifference and lack of respect for the rights of our fellow Americans. Respect for law is vital to our society. Then again, history teaches us that the lifespan of a democracy is roughly 200 years. Could there be a correlation? Ouch! that hurt my head.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #13

.....it is a difficult and expensive thing to defend your rights currently......geofkaye
Old 06-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Orange County in Central Florida has tried to put non manned automatic camera's at intersections where they have a high incidence of red light runners causing accidents. (and believe me, running red lights has become such a sport in Florida that most drivers count to 5 before moving forward after a signal light turns green)

So far, the Florida state legislature has not allowed them to do it. As a former judge, I shudder at the thought of the problems such a law would create in a courtroom without the benefit of testimony or cross examination.

It'll be interesting to see the results of legal challenges to the Illinois "Work Zone" camera program.

Dave

[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote