Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #1

I am trying to plan a trip for this fall coming from MS to Yellowstone, then down to the Grand Canyon. When I do the Street Atlas it gives me the routes, but knowing these computer travel guides send you off on some strange roads sometimes, I sure would not want to be pulling a fifth wheel on roads not accomodating such.

Anyone have experience of best route departing Yellowstone going to the Grand Canyon?

In particular the area I am concerned about is going South down from Salt Lake City on I15 between Beaver & Parowan it shows you taking an east turn on state 20, then to 89, then 89A to the Grand Canyon. Looks like about 400 mile run thru the back country with no RV parks best I can find. Anyone with experience pulling an RV thru this route with any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Glen Odom, Terry, MS
glend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

I am trying to plan a trip for this fall coming from MS to Yellowstone, then down to the Grand Canyon. When I do the Street Atlas it gives me the routes, but knowing these computer travel guides send you off on some strange roads sometimes, I sure would not want to be pulling a fifth wheel on roads not accomodating such.

Anyone have experience of best route departing Yellowstone going to the Grand Canyon?

In particular the area I am concerned about is going South down from Salt Lake City on I15 between Beaver & Parowan it shows you taking an east turn on state 20, then to 89, then 89A to the Grand Canyon. Looks like about 400 mile run thru the back country with no RV parks best I can find. Anyone with experience pulling an RV thru this route with any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Glen Odom, Terry, MS
glend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #3

A point of advice about I-15 through SLC. Back a few years ago in anticipation of the Winter Olympics the State of UT rebuilt much of I-15 in the SLC area. During this re-construction/improvement period the increase in traffic as well as lack of maintenance the I-215 by-pass deteriorated greatly. Unless there has been MAJOR improvements (I went I-15 the length of SLC metro area twice last Jan and will be going that way again on 3/12) I-15 direct through SLC is the best route.

On two lane sections of the I'state, I travel the right lane, three or more lanes I use the lane next to the right lane, WATCH out there are a few places where the right lane is an EXIT ONLY! I normally try to slip in behind a 18-wheeler that appears to know the traffic pattern and let him clear the way for me. There are sections where trucks and RV's are prohibited from using the left lane.

As for your original question, going to the G/C. I would take I-15 to Nephi exit 222 (there is a Flying J on the NE corner of the exit). Then go south on UT-28 to its junction with 89 then on to Salina. There you will join I-70 and exit at Sevier then on south (very scenic) to Kanab. As for 89A, remember you are traveling in the fall, the North Rim (closed during the winter) is about 2000 ft higher than the South Rim (open all year). I believe that Jacob Lake is even higher than the North Rim itself. I can't remember for sure if 89A is also closed during the winter or maybe part of the winter. For the South Rim stay on 89 to Page (see Glenn Canyon Dam) then on south to Cameron and the G/C South Rim. If you are going to the North Rim be sure to check with the local weather for road conditions and the NPS for the closure date for the North Rim. All the above two lane roads are excellent roads.

Stretches of I-15 between Nephi and Beaver is concrete and quite rough.

May you have fair winds and following seas!
Old 03-09-2007, 02:58 AM   #4

temperture in the Grand Canyon is about 68 digrees it will be nice this year...
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The route richard gave you if a good route. You will not have problems finding campgrounds thru utah. As for I15 its a great road and yes heavy with traffic, worse in mornings until about 9 or so and than from 3pm to about 7pm or so. The left lane is a HOV lane and does not allow for trucks with trailers in that lane or the lane next to it from 4th South Salt Lake City to Provo, Utah. When I drive my RV thru that area I pick the third or center lane and stay there to avoid entering traffic and the HOV and high speed lanes. Good luck on your trip and may it be a good one for you.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote