Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

Travel Journal

Anyone keep a journal of their RV travels? What information do you track? How do you record the information, in a notebook or do you use an app? Thx!
Luke57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have a log book made for RVers. However, the manufacturer is no longer in business. Try Bing
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Five years ago I quit using the spiral notebook and developed my own Log Book for the RV. I have sections for Fuel purchased, Maintenance done, Specs, Campgrounds, Jobs that need to be done,
Trip Log, Generator maintenance, and general comments of favorite places, CGs, food, ect.

My DW keeps it up. Each time I fuel up I hand her the receipt and she enters it. Same for everything else.

We can tell you where we stayed five years ago on what date and how we liked the place.

I also made up some extras and gave them to friends.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

My wife always picks up local postcards wherever we go. In the evening, she writes a short narrative about who what when where for the day. She then uses a little hole punch and makes holes in the postcards for the little snap rings to hold the cards together. Interesting to read HER version of what we did that day! We have a lot of postcards!! She also has a little notebook in which she keeps comments about local restaurants (she wants an RV w/no kitchen!).

Postcards are not as ubiquitous as they once were. I guess they've been replaced with a selfie stick (no, don't have one of those.)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

No, we don't keep a journal. Probably would not get around to updating it. I joined the local procrastinators club five years ago, but we haven't had a meeting yet..........

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Travel Journal

We’ve been operating our MH for little over a year and have kinda fallen into a pattern. This last year I documented our trips using this... http://www.mytripjournal.com
This takes a little time to do so I don’t know if I’ll continue or not. My DW also takes lots of notes and does scrapbooks so the trips are being documented there.
I also use a spreadsheet for trip calculations. With this, I record miles from point A to point B when we overnight, and I record every time I fill the fuel. Gallons, current miles, generator hours, cost. For each trip we do, this gives me a total fuel cost and total mileage of the trip. It’s always a work in progress. I don’t want to get so bogged down with all this that I miss smelling the roses.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
tcg

We use a Classic Moleskine Notebook. The notebook of choice for journalists.

http://a.co/aXOeCLj
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moleskine

My wife is usually the one making entries. It's nice to have especially when we're trying to remember a campground we stayed at and want to stay again. She also makes notes about weather, where we went for sightseeing, fuel, mileage etc...

It'll be nice when we're really old and want to remember.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

Detailed Spreadsheet on anything we research or hear/read on places we want to see/do on future trips, as well planning our trips down to mileage distances, date goals, boondocking, other locations for O/N's, fishing/kayaking locations etc. We personally find our trips when structured for the most part with some open days in-between, are far more fun and enjoyable than when we have once in a blue moon tried to fly by the seat of our pants. However, each of us is very different, so to each their own.

When on each trip itself, I update our manual notebook journal every couple of days with costs of the trip and notes about what/where/when we've been and our thoughts and whether worth going back to. If worth returning to, I note it under relevant state/province/nearest town in the relevant spreadsheet area for future trips.

We like the writing in a journal aspect (same one we've had since we first started RVing in the 90's!), purely for ease/convenience. Just grab it and write brief notes quickly as and when I can on the road. At the end of each trip we reconcile briefly what we enjoyed the most, was a waste of time, would/wouldn't do again and how much the whole trip cost versus per day as an average.

Do whatever works for YOU, and doesn't become too much of a chore in the big scheme of things otherwise you'll abandon it.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We keep a blog for us to look back on and for friends and family to track our wanderings. We use blogspot.com It is fun to look back. We do not do daily entries but rather every couple of days.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #10

No more store bought rv tracking applications for me ...I have outlasted two. Fortunately I've had my own website all along that I update travels on, and I have a word processor listing of all service & repair incidents with details, mileage, & cost. It is at 56 pages now, and has been very helpful to explore the history of various issues. I still use one of the obsolete apps just to track fuel mileage & cost. And I also have a word processor file of RV parks ...now at 79 pages ...many we have stayed in and many, many we have not.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #11

We keep a note book in the truck and update it during our moves which can be 1-2 months apart. Wife will do a summary of who we met and what we did while volunteering. It's a great refresher to look back a couple of years and remember forgotten details of previous volunteer gigs. Our goal is to volunteer in each lower 48 states for a month or longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map Volunteer.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	189491  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

I keep our travel journal using Word on my laptop and use Excel to log all the RV parks/campgrounds where we stay. Each park has its own worksheet which is full of details, including everything about the parks and sites. I record gas purchases on my iPhone using the Road Trip HD app and have all purchases from our first motorhome to the one we now own. At the end of each trip, I compile all our expenses into a 'wrap up report'. It's the accountant in us ... we can't help it! But we enjoy keeping track and looking back at all the information later.
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Christmas 2016 a friend gave me a RV travel log book in anticipation of full timing beginning last summer. I had full intentions of keeping detailed notes in at. Big time fail. LOL Haven't posted a thing in it. But I do keep a notebook of all the campgrounds we've been too. I use a notebook where you open the clips and insert pages. I have those clear page protectors and insert my campground reservation page (printed off the computer) or write it on notebook paper if the campground doesn't send campground reservation info by email. I keep the paperwork all in order of our reservations so we know where we've been, the dates, and where we are going. I also write on the page the amount of the deposit I've put down. After staying at an unacceptable campground I put a frown face on the paper work so we don't stay there again if ever we are in that vicinity.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke57 View Post
Anyone keep a journal of their RV travels? What information do you track? How do you record the information, in a notebook or do you use an app? Thx!
I use a program called Journey.

It's basically just a notebook type app, but it automatically logs your location and weather and allows inclusion of photos on each note. It has both a phone and browser app that automatically synch. Been using it since September and love it.

D

Tags
travel