Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #29

Appalachian Campers
I've not seen anything first hand, but when my first TT was getting setup I talked to a couple that inadvertently picked up a hitchhiker. They had stopped for a bathroom break and the camper wasn't locked. A vagrant hopped in, went for a ride and was sound asleep that evening when they stopped for the night. They found him, he woke up, shoved them down while he escaped.

That's the worst case I've had first hand accounting of.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #30

Evergreen Owners Club
Have you been mugged, robbed, broken into while in your MH?

Short answer, "no"

Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, 1st year had cargo doors broken & had water cover stolen at a rest stop. My guess it was the beggars we would not fund.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatAir View Post
I attempt, with much explaining to my loverly Bride, to keep a can of wasp and hornet spray near the door of the camper.

Perfectly legal and good for open carry. 20 foot range and 15-20 seconds of spray. Hurts like a{ moderator edit } because of the petroleum distillates.

Easy-peasy.
Great idea, can I have one or two!!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #33

Biggest problem is , if you find you need a gun and don't have one , its too late .
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
situational awareness will keep you one leg up on those who may want to prey upon you

never ever had issues at even the most remote campground....

having got lost and turned around in sketchy areas......pucker factor was increased

loves travel stop in wichita falls texas
wholly cow batman, the lot lizards and dread heads are horrible
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #35

The only time we felt vulnerable was hosting an OHV forest service site down in SC. Nearest neighbors were in a cemetery about 3 miles down the road. After a few weeks we enjoyed the nightly solitude after the noise during the day listening to the gators bellowing was kinda cool. We were and are unarmed.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #36

Travel Myth Violence to RVers

As a Full Timer and a Retired Law Enforcement Officer, I worked in a tourist beach town for more than 20 years. I never answered a call at the many RV parks, except for a meth lab in a tent once. Now with that said, I carry protection, and I'am very aware of my surroundings. Violence can occur anywhere at anytime, have a plan, don't be a sheep among the wolves, be a sheepdog.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 10-15-2014, 12:15 AM   #37

My wife and I have traveled over 150000 miles rv ing back in the 90s We had pulled off in a wide spot in the road to fix lunch very deserted stretch of highway, we had been there only about 15 min when an old junker car pulled in about 100 yards away five very rough looking characters got out and started walking about, noticed they were getting closer when about 50 yards away took shotgun from behind door and while setting on steps racked a round in. the car pulled out in under 5 minutes. Just saying.Ken
Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 AM   #38

Just wanted to add my wife and I stayed at very few camp grounds mostly remote areas, with no other campers.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not Sure What Happened!

We were looking for a truck stop in north Texas along Hwy 287 when instead we found a large convenience store that had an end pump open, so we went for it. It was the middle of the afternoon, not much traffic around. Typical routine for us, while I jump out to pump the fuel, she stays in and makes sure any pilot lights are dealt with, then locks the door to be safe. She then sits in the drivers seat and listens and watches via the rear camera with speaker, while watching me in the side mirror. While pumping the gas, out of nowhere an older model camero pulls up right next to me, almost pinning me to the coach. The female passenger is obviously upset and nervous, and asks me if I have any extra money for them to get some gas since they are traveling broke. I took a quick look at the driver, a male with a baseball cap pulled down hiding his face, and noticed a handgun sitting on his lap. Not sure what to do, what would you have done? I opened my wallet, took out $40 and as I handed it to the female, I said I do not carry much cash since we use credit cards while traveling. She took the money, closed her eyes as if saying a prayer, and they left in a hurry. Their license plate had some cardboard taped over it, so all I had was the make and model of the car, and a description of the male and female. I jumped into the coach, and told my wife what had just happened, and called 911. My wife said she missed the whole event! The dispatcher informed me this sort of thing happens frequently in that area, and that "technically" a robbery did not take place since they asked for a "handout" and I gave them one. As for the handgun, the dispatcher asked me if I was certain it was a real gun. I said it sure looked like one! She asked if anybody pointed it towards me, or made a verbal threat with it? I said no, then I started to get upset with the direction this was taking. She said a report would be filed, and that an officer would attempt to review any video from the convenience store, but that I did not need to wait for the officer. She got all the info from me, and we left. Never heard from that police department again.

The odd part of this story is that I really do not know what I should have done differently, I did feel that something else could have happened that would have had a much worse ending. Now, when I jump out to pump the gas, I only carry a credit card with me and a $20 bill. My wife pays more attention, but I still do not know how to handle it much differently if it should happen again. We do have a firearm in the coach, but I do not want my wife jumping out of the coach acting like Dirty Harry shooting up the place, and I do not want to open carry while getting fuel. In the 35 years we have been RV'ing, this was the only incident we felt threatened, except for the gaggle of Nuns at Lake Texoma, but that is for another story.

Bruce
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #40

Evergreen Owners Club
Firebug5....I think you did the safe thing. Way too many gun happy thugs these days.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks to All,
This pretty much sums up my feelings that a firearm is not worth the effort, state laws, gun safety, pistol vs shotgun, etc. I am a firm believer in your right to carry any kind of weapon you want up to and including a bazookas, if you want. I also want the right to not carry.

Jim
2104 Holidy Rambler
Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvinton View Post
Thanks to All,
This pretty much sums up my feelings that a firearm is not worth the effort, state laws, gun safety, pistol vs shotgun, etc. I am a firm believer in your right to carry any kind of weapon you want up to and including a bazookas, if you want. I also want the right to not carry.

Jim
2104 Holidy Rambler

Hmmmm, I am not too sure about those bazooka carrying rights Jim.

Tags
travel